Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the best indy matches of the 90's? I know about the Gilber/Jack matches as well as the Lightning Kid/Lynn and Lightning Kid/Sabu matches but what are some others? Is there anything else that really stands out or is worthy to watch?

· SNOWBLIND
13,053 Posts
I guess it depends on what you'd call an "indy".

If you consider Smokey Mountain an indy then there's probably a ton of good shit over the course of its existence worth checking out. I actually sent a guy an email a couple days ago about picking up all of the SMW TV from '92 and '93, because it's a promotion I've seen very little of.

There's probably a decent chunk of OMEGA stuff worth looking at, too. I've only got a few bits and pieces of OMEGA footage here, but there's a Hardys v Helms & Venom match from '98 (July, I'm sure) I have that's terrific. Haven't really watched any of the other stuff yet, but it's something I'll have to do at some point.

USWA has *tonnes* of stuff that looks boss.

Got a bunch of other semi-obscure stuff lying around here from ECWA, NWA2000, etc., although I don't think I've actually watched any of it yet.

· Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea i guess you have to consider USWA and SMW indys. I occasionally saw USWA here back in the day and liked it from time to time. I can remember Brian Christopher actually being pretty good in that promotion. Ioffer has a lot of the seasons of both and i might check them out. The Jarret/Christopher feud i hear is pretty good as well as the WWf invasion in 93

· Hunter of Invisible Game
69,099 Posts
I know Sean Morley was in Mexico (CMLL I Think) before he was in WWE and was the Heavyweight Champ (which ironically is a mid card belt I guess) but other than that I have no idea what he did pre-WWE. Always was a fan of that dude though.

Can't say i've seen much 90's indy stuff aside from a few Smokey Mountain Wrestling matches.

· Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow Morley in CMLL would be kind of interesting. I recently saw Gangrel in USWA as the Vampire Warrior and he was suprisingly good to watch. Nothing blew me away but better than i expected. I'm willing to bet a lot of the attitude era guys like that were decent in the indies and not too many people know about it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.