Wrestling Forum banner

Indy Show Draws More Than TNA

1727 Views 28 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  McQueen
Sorry if this has been posted

- A Southern All-Star Wrestling independent show at the Nashville Fairgrounds last night headlined by WWE Hall of Famer Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee reportedly drew 1,700 paid fans. In comparison, TNA’s recent farewell tribute show at the Fairgrounds only drew 900 fans.

Dutch Mantell special refereed the match that saw Lawler defeat his longtime rival in a 16 minute match with the piledriver.
Source F4Wonline.com / Wrestling-Edge.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· also known as a BUSTER
13,189 Posts
Indy shows have been outdrawing TNA since forever. In fact, I just had a wank that drew the same number of paying viewers as the entire history of iMPACT Zone shows combined.

TNA turns a profit, indie feds don't. TNA wins.
LOL as if this indy show had higher outgoings than TNA. TNA's a financial blackhole.

· Registered
2,850 Posts
OP is right. It's a bad look for the supposed #2 brand in North America. I don't care how big a draw Lawler/Dundee was in it's prime, TNA still has some of the biggest stars of the past decade, and ran weekly shows in the building for years when the company first started.

Lawler/Dundee didn't have a television brand to sell their tickets, they just sold the tickets. Why? Because they seem to know how to promote. Something TNA has never truly learned how to do.

· Purebred Powerhouse
7,077 Posts
I'm no TNA hater. I don't bash them at every opportunity. In fact, if you look back at a lot of my posts here, you'll see that I analyze, criticize, and discuss them with a very open mind. They have flaws, but I always try to see the best-case scenario along with the worst.

With that being said, I find this a bit disappointing. Yes, Lawler is a local hero in Memphis. Yes, the feud itself would bring an air of nostalgia for people in the area. However, that's no excuse.

TNA is just in a huge promotional slump. They can't seem to get their collective minds around a streamlined marketing strategy. More than any ex-WWE guys, more than any stars of the Monday Night Wars, more than any special celebrity appearances, more than any gimmick matches, and more than any key feuds - they NEED better promotional tactics.

· Premium Member
28,183 Posts
I'm well aware of the feud but you can't use this as an excuse. TNA should be selling out every house show they do or atleast damn near close to it. I often wonder how/many the crowd would be if Impact tickets weren't handed out for free.
Sure, you can. Lawler and Dundee are huge draws in Memphis, bigger draws than anything TNA was running that night. Lawler/Dundee in Memphis was just as big as Rock/Austin.

· Premium Member
46,377 Posts
See now this is confusing. Its always said that TNA should branch away from the veterans and create new stars, and here they are getting outdrawn by a vet who is older than 60. Odd. Well ok, Lawler is a local hero there, but its still sad no matter how you slice it.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.