Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The Definition of Excellence
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been posted

- A Southern All-Star Wrestling independent show at the Nashville Fairgrounds last night headlined by WWE Hall of Famer Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee reportedly drew 1,700 paid fans. In comparison, TNA’s recent farewell tribute show at the Fairgrounds only drew 900 fans.

Dutch Mantell special refereed the match that saw Lawler defeat his longtime rival in a 16 minute match with the piledriver.
Source F4Wonline.com / Wrestling-Edge.com

·
Premium Member
27,697 Posts
You realize how big the Lawler/Dundee feud was in that area back in the day? Probably drew a fuck ton of people that grew up watching those two feud.

Pointless thread.

·
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are seriously telling me no one sees a problem with an indy show being able to outdraw a national promotion? I found it pretty shocking myself.

·
Premium Member
27,697 Posts
You guys are seriously telling me no one sees a problem with an indy show being able to outdraw a national promotion? I found it pretty shocking myself.
Again, you must not realize how huge the Dundee/Lawler feud was in Memphis. The match likely drew people in that quit watching wrestling long ago, but remember and loved this feud back in the day.

·
Hunter of Invisible Game
37,907 Posts
TNA turns a profit, indie feds don't. TNA wins.
TNA has a financial backer bankrolling them. Indy feds don't.

Edit: Isn't TNA also still not a publically traded company so you only have their word they turn a profit and no proof? Or has this changed recently.

·
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Again, you must not realize how huge the Dundee/Lawler feud was in Memphis. The match likely drew people in that quit watching wrestling long ago, but remember and loved this feud back in the day.
And that's a fantastic point. That a feud that was that red hot back in the day, can still draw today due to nothing more then nostalgia. Shouldn't one of the current angles be doing the same? Your point is that it drew all the fans that don't watch anymore. Are there really that many more fans who use to watch wrestling, then there are who currently watch?

@ZackDanielson
Obviously, I do. Otherwise I probably wouldn't of posted this. As a fan I generally find it surprising that some little indy show pulled that off.

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
I'm well aware of the feud but you can't use this as an excuse. TNA should be selling out every house show they do or atleast damn near close to it. I often wonder how/many the crowd would be if Impact tickets weren't handed out for free.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
I think its good proof that proper advertising, promoting, hitting the right area with the right people can still successfully draw.

Promoting isnt really as hard as TNA make it out to be.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Who gives a damn.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
the whole point is that you need to promote your stuff, it doesn't matter if your guys are a draw or not, you could have the biggest draw ever, but if you don't promote the hell out of it, you wont get people to watch it, in many people's eyes, hulk hogan, jeff hardy, kurt angle, are bigger draws than jerry lawler, and yet a show with jerry lawler is getting more people to see it than the hulk hogan returning show

just make noise, tell everyone "HEY GUYS WE GOT THIS!!! COME WATCH IT IT WILL BE AWESOME" the whole idea of making it a mistery wont make them watch, it wont make them give ppv money, specially on TNA, they dissapointed potential viewers too many times, you got right now a chance with the "new they" storyline, give us something good, promote it properly, and you will see viewers rising, its no rocket science

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
It was a smart combo. Lawler + Dundee + memphis = $$$

In the end of the day thats what wrestling is. Clever booking, hitting the right markets, tugging on the heartstrings,

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Stupid thread and taken totally out of context. What you seem to be implying is that this Lawler/Dundee promotion draws more than a company that sold out Wembley Arena last night, and im fairly sure that holds more than 1,700 fans.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.