Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something that's always confused me about this site is that a good portion of the posters here have something against indy wrestlers. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not the biggest indy mark and I will admit there's a lot of shit in the US indy scene, but as soon as an indy wrestler gets called up to WWE, a vast number of posters dismiss them as irrelevant and use their time in the indies as an excuse to bash them. Hell, Rock316AE still refers to CM Punk as an 'indy kid' even if he has been under WWE contract for nearly 7 years. Correct if I'm wrong, but isn't it a good thing that they are hiring wrestlers that are experienced?

Is there an legitimate reason why WWE shouldn't be scouting from the indy scene? I'd like to hear arguments from both sides of the equation.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I don't follow the indy scene too much, but when someone from the indy circuit (who I haven't seen) is brought into the WWE with a reputation of being a good wrestler, good on the mic etc. I usually ask for suggested promos or matches by said person and form my own opinion.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
I don't give a shit where somebody comes from, if he's good, he's good.

The IWC tend to overrate a lot of guys that came from the indy's so naturally there is backlash by some.

I actually think Rock316AE is a good poster but he seems to have a problem with everybody that is not from the attitude era.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
Mostly because of the very valid fact, a lot of their "fans" over-rate them immensely.

Look at me with say... Albert. I love the guy. Would I say he's the best in the world? Fuck no. Would I say he's better than Punk? To an extent, I think so.

So that would get an immense of abuse from indy fanboys for hurting their little indy darling. They just treat them like kids who, if anyone dislikes them, are obviously scum of the Earth who only enjoy steroid users.

·
Banned
390 Posts
you dont get the problem here. The problem is not the wrestlers themselves, its the marks on the internet overrating them like GODS. For example, comparing CM Punk, who is mediocre wrestler(sloppy) and above average on the mic to Austin who is far far superior to punk in every possible way and considered G.O.A.T. That pisses off people, so natural backlash occurs. Also the reason why draw arguments arises.

IWC Marks start the trouble, blame them.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't give a shit where somebody comes from, if he's good, he's good.

The IWC tend to overrate a lot of guys that came from the indy's so naturally there is backlash by some.

I actually think Rock316AE is a good poster but he seems to have a problem with everybody that is not from the attitude era.
Posters may rate 'their' guy higher if they if have been following them since before they were signed. It's expected really, but what I don't get is how people form dislike on a certain wrestler just because they have a huge fanbase on here. Can't people form opinions on a wrestler by what they do on TV rather than what their fans say about them?

Totally agree with what you said about Rock316AE. He would be great poster if he wasn't so fucking biased.

·
Banned
7,681 Posts
you dont get the problem here. The problem is not the wrestlers themselves, its the marks on the internet overrating them like GODS. For example, comparing CM Punk, who is mediocre wrestler(sloppy) and above average on the mic to Austin who is far far superior to punk in every possible way and considered G.O.A.T. That pisses off people, so natural backlash occurs. Also the reason why draw arguments arises.

IWC Marks start the trouble, blame them.
This.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
Posters may rate 'their' guy higher if they if have been following them since before they were signed. It's expected really, but what I don't get is how people form dislike on a certain wrestler just because they have a huge fanbase on here. Can't people form opinions on a wrestler by what they do on TV rather than what their fans say about them?

Totally agree with what you said about Rock316AE. He would be great poster if he wasn't so fucking biased.
But your comment of "midget indy hacks", isn't exactly a neutral opinion in itself.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But your comment of "midget indy hacks", isn't exactly a neutral opinion in itself.
It's a piss-take on what most indy guys get labelled as here, even if they are above average height.

For everyone saying it's their fans, what does that have to do with your dislike of the actual wrestler? I'm a Daniel Bryan fan, but I find a lot of his fans annoying.

·
Premium Member
15,047 Posts
Biggest reason indy wrestlers tend to get bashed is their style of wrestling. The average fan who doesn't follow indy wrestling won't enjoy Punk or Daniel Bryan as much as the ROH fans will.

Big problem with the ROH fans is they think every wrestler ever to work for ROH is nothing short of a wrestling God. CM Punk is only viewed as an indy legend in retrospect but fans make him out to be better than SCSA, which I debate. It's like Lil Wayne. I've been listening to Lil Wayne for 15 years, since he was a kid. But once all the praise started to come in from those who weren't fucking with him at the beginning, it makes you lose your admiration. Same way with Punk. Thanks to Youtube and Rob Feinstein, I got introduced to Punk early and he was decent. But after that shoot last year, fans rode his dick a little bit too much.

I guess I tend to root for the underdog, before the fandom begins. Then when they make it big and all the man love begins, I question why I supported a certain wrestler/artist/athlete in the first place. It also kills me how fans think you need an indy presence to become a star in WWE.

·
Registered
873 Posts
There are some acts that work better in small arenas as opposed to large arenas, and there are some acts that work ok on the mainstage, but that seem extra awesome in smaller venus. Punk may fall into the latter territory, but I think he's made the transition pretty well.

Other factors that make indy fans wet, and therefore likely to overrate indy workers include: stiffness, exclusivity, loyalty, and moveset size. There are some sweet sweet moves in the indies, but that doesn't mean they know how to put a match together properly. The other possibility is that indy wrestlers are more likely to look like the fans themselves, and so that creates instant empathy.

As for WWE fans, and in particular attitude fans, they have their double standards as well, most of which skew towards the idea that indy workers don't know how to get a crowd into the match, make people care, or tell stories.

·
Banned
741 Posts
Biggest reason indy wrestlers tend to get bashed is their style of wrestling. The average fan who doesn't follow indy wrestling won't enjoy Punk or Daniel Bryan as much as the ROH fans will.

Big problem with the ROH fans is they think every wrestler ever to work for ROH is nothing short of a wrestling God. CM Punk is only viewed as an indy legend in retrospect but fans make him out to be better than SCSA, which I debate. It's like Lil Wayne. I've been listening to Lil Wayne for 15 years, since he was a kid. But once all the praise started to come in from those who weren't fucking with him at the beginning, it makes you lose your admiration. Same way with Punk. Thanks to Youtube and Rob Feinstein, I got introduced to Punk early and he was decent. But after that shoot last year, fans rode his dick a little bit too much.

I guess I tend to root for the underdog, before the fandom begins. Then when they make it big and all the man love begins, I question why I supported a certain wrestler/artist/athlete in the first place. It also kills me how fans think you need an indy presence to become a star in WWE.
this is my exact opinion word for word, did you read my mind:eek::eek:, except to a certain extent i am still glad for the success of a person i have been entertained with from the beginning becoming big, like your example of lil wayne, i dont let the casual listeners get to me, because ive been a fan forever, i more so hate the old school rap fans, their kinda like indy fans, they think the older people are like gods, and the newer rappers suck and dont have substance, but the truth is wayne had substance until the casuals came along, but his music is still good to me

·
Premium Member
8,294 Posts
Terms like 'vanilla midget' and 'indy hack' are just easy cop-outs for posters that can't back-up their statements.

Basing your opinion on how another poster rates a talent is just plain lunacy. Holding it against a talent for honing their craft on the independent scene is equally as moronic.

"Daniel Bryan wrestled on the indys and has a lot of supporters on Wrestling Forum? I hate him now!1!!"

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
IMO, guys like Briscoes, Edwards, Strong and almost the entire indy scene are just so lifeless and boring. If you're 5 foot 9 and weigh 156 pounds then don't play the role of the badass who throws stiff kicks. I can go on and on about wrestlers on the indies but I'm tired of doing it. But to keep a long story short, it's not just their bland looks but also their terrible in ring psychology. Oh you can throw stiff kicks? You must be quite the fucking story teller? Oh you know a bunch of awesome Japanese holds? You must me quite the fucking wrestler.

Right now the only guy that I'm impressed with is Adam Cole. Is he a big guy? No. So clearly size isn't that much of an issue for me, now is it? But Adam Cole knows he's not a big, ripped do and makes his match look believable by selling me the story of he's a small guy but somewhere lies an intesne side of him once he catches an opponent off guard. His work as a heel was quite simply some of the best on the indies.

Adam Cole has the in ring skills, the mic skills and the look. He needs to get bigger though. I just hope he isn't one of those other hot headed, inflated 'I sold out a fucking high school gym, yay me" indy mark for himself and realizes WWE won't be calling any time soon with his current size. Am I say get jacked like The Hulk? Of course not, but look presentable.

·
Banned
741 Posts
Terms like 'vanilla midget' and 'indy hack' are just easy cop-outs for posters that can't back-up their statements.

Basing your opinion on how another poster rates a talent is just plain lunacy. Holding it against a talent for honing their craft on the independent scene is equally as moronic.

"Daniel Bryan wrestled on the indys and has a lot of supporters on Wrestling Forum? I hate him now!1!!"
its more like" daniel bryan is my god, he is better than stone cold, the rock, and hulk hogan combine, d-bry would beat brock lesnar if they were to face off in the octagon, YES YES YES etc.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts