Wrestling Forum banner

1341 - 1353 of 1353 Posts

·
Working on a novel about about nothing
2,097 Posts

·
Le Champion
18,714 Posts
NEW is having their Over The Top show this Saturday and the card is absolutely LOADED.

• 30 Man Royal Rumble featuring HAKU
  • NEW Heavyweight Title: Darby Allin (c) vs. Dan Maff
  • Marty Scurll vs. Vincent
  • Flip Gordon vs. Brian Pillman Jr.
  • Guerrillas of Destiny vs. Mike Verna & JT Dunn
And 3 other matches. Don't think it's airing live on Highspots Network but it definitely looks like it'll need to be checked out down the line.

·
Administrator
33,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,348

If anyone still buys DVDs Highspots are running a limited time sale which includes everything.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,154 Posts
Joey Janela’s Spring Break

I got IWTV and they have a few GCW shows. Working from home has drastically reduced what I have to do. So let’s see how much I watch. I figure there’s a good chance I’m just writing this and nobody will ever read this but me as my Google drive of reviews that were never finished.

Sami Callihan vs. KTB

A showcase for KTB. He might be a regular now on the scene but he wasn’t at the time. Very simple match structure that worked for the match’s purpose. KTB comes out like a crazy person, there’s a bunch of dives in the first few minutes, Callihan controls the match and slows it down, KTB works from behind. It worked, you had an unknown guy with a veteran and the veteran controlled the match. Sami is good and is fine controlling a match, his stuff works and he brings intensity. Unfortunately KTB really didn’t get a chance to shine (despite Sami’s promo after the match) and the dude wasn’t over after. It was a fine match, but this kind of seems like a spot where KTB should have either won or come dangerously close to taking out Callihan or even really make Callihan work to get the win. Instead he kind of just got beat up.
**¾

Braxton Sutter and Allie vs. Penelope Ford and Andy Williams

Allie takes the microphone and just starts insulting Williams. Excalibur wisely says on commentary, “The important thing in intergender matches is to not get popped by the opposite gender.” Seconds later Allie is leveled by Williams and Ford is kicked in the face by Sutter. And then it’s on. They brawl for a while, someone breaks a door, and not a single tag was made. I liked it, good pace and nothing that looked too dumb with the women mixing it up with the men. Just a shame that things got a little sloppy at the end with Ford having a few ugly looking moves.
**¼

GCW Championship Match
Eddie Kingston vs. Matt Tremont(c)

These guys both crack my top 10 in guys “Guys I would run away from in life.” Tremont is bleeding within a minute, they broke like 5 doors, and they fought all over the arena. Tremont took an absolute ass kicking in this one. Dude was taking crazy bumps and bleeding all over. And then the ending was very abrupt with Tremont hitting one big move and winning after taking a beating all match. I liked it a lot but I wish they were able to get closer to 50/50 on offense.
***¼

The Clusterfuck
Jimmy Lloyd vs. Arik Cannon vs. Crazy Boy vs. Dink vs. Ethan Page vs. Facade vs. Flip Gordon vs. Glacier vs. Jervis Cottonbelly vs. John Silver vs. Veda Scott vs. The Invisible Man
I watched the one they had last year and thought it was a blast. This wasn’t. At all. The last clusterfuck seemed to try to do as much ridiculous shit as they could in a match. This was an indy scramble match. There was a lot of stuff that just didn’t look good and it lasted for a really long time. It had its moments (Glacier getting ready to fight with a shit ton of lasers and the Mortal Combat music playing was pretty cool) but for the most part it was really flat.

Keith Lee vs. Lio Rush

Pretty easy dynamic for a match here. Rush is a lot faster and Lee is a lot bigger. The dynamic worked and what really helped was how well Lee could throw Rush around the ring. There was a great moment early on where Lee was able to catch Rush when he dives to the floor from the ring and powerbombs onto the apron. It looks cool and sets the tone right away that Lio Rush is a big underdog. Loved the ending where Lee tries to play Rush’s game by going onto the ropes and it ends up costing him big time.
***¼

Joey Janela vs. Marty Jannetty

Hilarious. Marty can’t do much of anything in the ring, commentary called him “Rubber Ankles” at one point. Janela makes up for this by running around the ring and taking a bunch of bumps into chairs. At one point he has Marty in a sharpshooter and refs just keep running to the ring and Janela takes them out one at a time. I have no idea why. It was quite awesome. A ton of dumb and hilarious shit but it’s a blast to watch.
***¼

Matt Riddle vs. Dan Severn

I like when they work matches more like legit fights. And that’s what we saw from them here. Some really slick mat wrestling and it was worked in a way that’s different from most matches. There’s not setting up finishing moves or things like that, it’s a constant effort to finish right away. So while it lasts for like 8 minutes it felt like it could end at any time. Good stuff.

It was a better show than the ratings indicate but it wasn’t that amazing. I know this got a lot of talk after this happened but going back it’s not bind blowing. I think the problem is that GCW has upped the ante so much since that this seems tame compared to the Spring Break show they had last year.

·
Administrator
33,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,350
ROH are running a buy 1 get 2 free sale on all DVDs.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,154 Posts
Rev Pro: Live in New York Review

Karl Fredricks and Clark Connors vs. CCK (Chris Brooks and Jonathan Gresham)

Karl and Clark are “Young Lions” from the LA dujo so they’re unknown and sporting the plain black tights. And they wrestled like they were Young Lions as well. They were hungry and gave an amazing effort. I really enjoyed everything about this. CCK defied the modern trend in wrestling and worked a smart match. Connors was the smaller man and his leg gets taken out half way through. CCK isolates him as much as they can and work the leg. They cut the ring in half, break up tags, they work like a real team.

Fredrick was the big man and powerhouse of the team, which made him a good hot tag when it gets made. He did a good job showing that the could throw both members of CCK around without dominating them. He looked like he had a lot of raw talent and could become something soon. He was a great Young Lion. The Young Lions get closer to winning then you would ever expect from them. Connors shows heart and Fredricks raw potential. CCK were an efficient machine.

I also want to give them credit for working a match like this on Wrestlemania weekend. It’s a marathon weekend that I’ve experienced as a fine many times. It’s always a blast but the crowds can be quiet sometimes. It’s not anyone’s fault it’s just that fans have to pace themselves. If I’ve got tickets to three shows I can’t go insane all day. So a lot of the times you get matches that are just spot after spot to get a reaction. These guys took their time, worked a good match, and got the reactions that they wanted. Really good match.
***½

Carlos Romo vs. A-Kid vs. Flamita vs. Kid Lykos

Every Wrestlemania weekend has a lot of independent wrestling shows. And every independent wrestling show over the weekend has a match like this. You book some high fliers in a multiman match. It was on par with the other matches. They do some cool spots, some other cards had better spots and some didn’t. I did like that Romo and A-Kid were a tag team and there was that dynamic in play. The commentators were talking about how someone was trying to split the team and take one guy away so you had a tag team with some tension. The ending will keep that story going. Good for them for putting a match together that advanced a storyline and still got to have some fresh faces doing cool flips.

Michael Oku vs. Brian Cage

I loved the idea of the match but not the execution. In a cruel twist of fate, based on everything I usually complain, I’m going to have to type this and say that Cage sold too much. Oku is small and the commentators said that he was skipping the “Contender” division and going straight to the main roster. The whole idea is that he’s overmatched and he’s expected to be squashed. And Oku does a great job taking offense from Cage. He ragdolls all over the place and looks like someone that’s in a lot of trouble in the ring.

The problem is his offense. It doesn’t look strong at all and one kick will have Cage crumbling and falling down. And some of the moves look like Cage is just doing that to himself. There was a Canadian Destroyer from Oku to Cage and it just looks like Cage doing an impressive flip. I like the story with the guy who’s supposed to be squashed giving the monster a run for his money. I loved the offense from Cage and I loved how Oku sold it. But they really missed on the parts of the match where Oku was getting in offense. Which is a shame because this could have really worked out well. Cage's offense and Oku's selling were about half of a 4 star match. Cage's selling and Oku's offense were about half of a DUD. So I'm going with this...

Will Ospreay and Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Zack Sabre Jr. and Minoru Suzuki

I liked it but I didn’t love it. It was too one sided in favor of Suzuki-gun for my liking. Granted, they are amazing when they control a match. Ospreay is bleeding from his nose in the first couple of minutes and whenever they have the chance they claw at, pull on, or hit him there. In fact, the offense from Suzuki-gun ruled, whenever there was a body part they could grab and twist they did.

Ospreay and Tanahashi were OK. Ospreay sold some beat downs well and his offense was desperate, which I liked. But what I didn’t like was challenging Suzuki to go blow for blow with him multiple times. Look, do that once, look tough/crazy, but why do it again? After getting almost knocked out the first time he shouldn’t be trying to do that. Tanahashi is a good hot tag when he gets one but I felt like he wasn’t in there too much. And Suzuki gun kept maintaining control of the match. Honestly, this match was worked closer to what I was thinking the match with Young Lions was going to be. Good but not great.
***¼

Rocky Romero vs. Ryusuke Taguchi

I’ve got a real bias against Taguchi. I can’t stand his gimmick. So the best way to sum it up is that he has a super ass. So there’s lots of ass based offense. He hits people with it, he jumps into them with it… you get the idea. The best way to sum the the gimmick up is that at one point Romero did some Kawada kicks, Taguchi doesn’t sell them, and follows up with his own version of them where he rapidly hits Romero’s head into his ass. I LOVE comedy wrestling. So this isn’t me shitting on the idea of doing funny things in the match. Taguchi isn’t funny with his offense though, the spots with his ass are serious moments worked into the match.

OK so now that I got that out of the way it’s a perfectable passabe New Japan Junior style match. If you can get past all ass based offense it’s fine. They build up the intensity and keep a nice pass. They’re both veterans and have been working in New Japan for a long time so they know how to do this.

David Starr vs. Tomohiro Ishii

I feel like Starr kind of looked like an idiot. The match starts and it looks like Starr has an advantage if he stays locked up with Ishii. Well he hits Ishii with strikes a few times and they’re no sold. OK, you’ve got the dynamic about what will and won’t work against Ishii. They proceed to have a good match. Nice pacing, Ishii is a tank, Starr shows some fire, and it works. And then the finish is Starr headbutts Ishii, it has no effect, Starr stuns himself, and takes a few moves before he gets pinned. I liked the match but man did Starr seem like an idiot for doing that.

Aussie Open vs. Roppongi 3K

You’ve got two very different types of matches here. The first half is Aussie Open working well as a team and trying to contain the explosive Shoh and Yoh. I liked it. Davis was a good big man who was exciting to watch but was still trying to bottle up his opponents from doing anything too flashy.

The second half is where they stop making tags and you’ve got the bigger spots. It was fine. The crowd was dead so that made it come across as a little flat. I also don’t feel like they really kicked it into the next level on this one. I don’t think this belonged as the main event. Not to knock any of the guys but these four were not the ones that people came to see, I noticed empty chairs during this that were not empty earlier in the show. It’s a good match with a flat crowd.

Good but flat is probably how I would describe most of this card. It’s unfortunately a trend that I’ve really started to notice with Wrestlemania weekend shows. If you’re not a premier show the fans hold back their energy.

·
#BAYBAY
20,306 Posts
Hadn't checked my emails in weeks, and I checked them and saw PWG were doing the 5 for $40 DVD sale.

So I managed to order the last 5 shows of 2019 to complete 2019 for me. Now all I need to do is start watching PWG again.

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,992 Posts

1341 - 1353 of 1353 Posts