Wrestling Forum banner

201 - 220 of 1353 Posts

·
Registered
12,663 Posts
I refuse to believe Taylor/Castle was anything but 6 stars.

Pentagon JR. is by far the man who has benefited the most from Lucha Underground. He is everywhere on the US indy scene right now.

9 days off of work starting today! Hoping to get in a lot of wrestling watching. Banged out night 1 of 16 Karat 2015 last night. Solid show, but not great. Heard it's a tournament that gets better and better as it goes along.

·
Registered
467 Posts
EVOLVE 58
(April 1, 2016)

EVOLVE Tag Team Championship - If PAB lose, they can't Team again
Johnny Gargano & Drew Galloway (c) vs The Premier Athlete Brand (Anthony Nese & Caleb Konley) **1/2

EVOLVE Championship
Timothy Thatcher (c) vs Matt Riddle *1/2

Fred Yehi vs Marty Scurll **1/2

Sami Callihan vs Ethan Page **

Ricochet vs TJ Perkins ***

Best in the World Challenge Series - The Flyer
Zack Sabre Jr. vs Will Ospreay ***1/4

Heroes Eventually Die (Chris Hero & Tommy End) vs Catch Point (Drew Gulak & Tracy Williams) **1/2

Overall Rating: 5.0

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
So this happened at Alpha-1 yesterday...

Josh Alexander is back in wrestling apparently. Not sure if there's gonna be some tomfoolery here but apparently he's supposed to wrestle Heidi Lovelace at the next show

:mark: :mark: :mark: :mark: :mark: :mark: :mark: :mark: :mark: :mark:

·
Registered
12,663 Posts
a wrestling retirement didn't stick?????

I'm shocked.

Hopefully this means he is healthy again (well healthy as one can hope to be with a bad neck)

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
a wrestling retirement didn't stick?????

I'm shocked.

Hopefully this means he is healthy again (well healthy as one can hope to be with a bad neck)
He posted a thing on Twitter. TL;DR version is that he was expecting to have a near-immobile neck after the surgery but it wasn't as bad as doctors expected and they just "cleaned up" a few things as there were mess ups in his first surgery. He says he's been cleared by two separate doctors. Hopefully he wrestles smarter this time around and doesn't do any stupid highspots *cough* Avalanche reverse ranas *cough*. He's too good not to make a shit ton of money in the industry somewhere in the future.

·
Registered
30 Posts
EVOLVE 58
Drew Galloway & Johnny Gargano vs. The Premiere Athlete Brand - **1/2
Timothy Thatcher vs. Matt Riddle - **
Fred Yehi vs. Marty Scurll - ***
Ethan Page vs. Sami Callihan - **1/2
Ricochet vs. TJ Perkins - ***3/4
Will Ospreay vs. Zack Sabre Jr. - ****1/2
Catch Point vs. Heroes Eventually Die - **3/4

·
Dios perdona, los Perros... NO!
3,915 Posts
Whatever happened to Thatcher vs Callihan from Mercury Rising? Did it even take place?

·
The NEW
13,420 Posts
Anyone see/review WWN Supershow (2nd April) from the weekend? Couple of matches i might want to check out and I'm thinking about pre ordering the DVD.
I watched a few matches from the show (Hero/Sabre + the main event). Hero/Sabre was REALLY good, ***3/4 for me, and the main event was fun, ***1/4.

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,403 Posts
I watched a few matches from the show (Hero/Sabre + the main event). Hero/Sabre was REALLY good, ***3/4 for me, and the main event was fun, ***1/4.
Was that the other night? This is the card on the DVD;

Wrestlecon SuperShow filled with superstars and super action! The 2016 event was held April 2, 2016 in Dallas, Texas at the Hyatt Regency Hotel.

Pentagon Jr. vs. Sami Callihan
PROGRESS Championship: Marty Scurll vs. Will Ospreay
Chuck Taylor & Colt Cabana vs. "Man Scout" Jake Manning & "Cub Scout" Zane Riley
Tessa Blanchard (w/Tully Blanchard) vs. "Crazy" Mary Dobson
Lucha Trios: Aerostar, Drago, & Octagon Jr. vs. Bestia 666, Jack Evans, & Tigre Uno
Team Jarrett (Jeff Jarrett, Brian Myers, Jessicka Havok, Luke Hawx, & Sonjay Dutt) vs. Team Ryan (Joey Ryan, Candice LeRae, Matt Striker, Shane Strickland, & Tommy Dreamer)
OMEGA Championship: Matt Hardy (w/Reby Sky) vs. Lance Storm (w/Missy Hyatt)
Rey Mysterio, Ricochet, & Matt Sydal vs. Brian Cage, Chris Hero, & Zack Sabre Jr.
6-Way Monster’s Ball Match
Jeff Hardy vs. Abyss vs. Trevor Lee vs. Andrew Everett vs. AR Fox vs. Pentagon Jr.

·
The NEW
13,420 Posts

Wrestlecon SuperShow filled with superstars and super action! The 2016 event was held April 2, 2016 in Dallas, Texas at the Hyatt Regency Hotel.

Chuck Taylor & Colt Cabana vs. "Man Scout" Jake Manning & "Cub Scout" Zane Riley
Lucha Trios: Aerostar, Drago, & Octagon Jr. vs. Bestia 666, Jack Evans, & Tigre Uno
Team Jarrett (Jeff Jarrett, Brian Myers, Jessicka Havok, Luke Hawx, & Sonjay Dutt) vs. Team Ryan (Joey Ryan, Candice LeRae, Matt Striker, Shane Strickland, & Tommy Dreamer)
Rey Mysterio, Ricochet, & Matt Sydal vs. Brian Cage, Chris Hero, & Zack Sabre Jr.
Jeff Hardy vs. Abyss vs. Trevor Lee vs. Andrew Everett vs. AR Fox vs. Pentagon Jr.
Oh, you were talking about WRESTLECON. :lol For some reason I thought you were talking about WWN SuperShow, Mercury Rising. :p My bad.

·
Le Champion
18,734 Posts
Whatever happened to Thatcher vs Callihan from Mercury Rising? Did it even take place?
It did. Wasn't viewed on a very positive level throughout the interwebs. Probably Callihan's last match with the company apparently.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Posted this in the CZW thread but it deserves moe attention..

First entrants are apparently Bryant Woods, John Wayne Murdoch, and Danny Havoc. Not sure if Zandig will be wrestling. Wouldn't surprise me if he did though because I've heard that he's working on a comeback. :mark:

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I used to be a regular years ago, but stopped watching wrestling while in college, but recently started going to some underground shows and might want to start getting back into it again.

Last full show I watched was DDT4 from 2010. I was a big Dragon Gate fan and typical indy ROH and Chikara fan. Back then I was mostly about workrate and innovation in style, and that is still important, but I want to watch something preferably with engaging characters and story lines.

I haved poked around the MOTY threads, but that is a lot of info to take in all at once especially when I don't recognize most of the current indy/puro stars.

So, what are the key matches of the last five years and what company is worth me investing my time trying to keep up to date with?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I used to be a regular years ago, but stopped watching wrestling while in college, but recently started going to some underground shows and might want to start getting back into it again.

Last full show I watched was DDT4 from 2010. I was a big Dragon Gate fan and typical indy ROH and Chikara fan. Back then I was mostly about workrate and innovation in style, and that is still important, but I want to watch something preferably with engaging characters and story lines.

I haved poked around the MOTY threads, but that is a lot of info to take in all at once especially when I don't recognize most of the current indy/puro stars.

So, what are the key matches of the last five years and what company is worth me investing my time trying to keep up to date with?

Thanks!
NJPW and PWG are probably the companies to follow. Most people love any match between Okada and Tanahashi. AJ Styles and Minoru Suzuki had a great match at the G1 Climax a couple years back. Some names to keep an eye out for when finding stuff to watch would be Mike Bailey, Biff Busick (Recently signed with WWE), Drew Gulak, Tommy End, and Sami Callihan. Also, look into Progress wrestling. They're based in the UK and they're probably oneof the best promotions in the world right now. They have a subscription based website too so you can watch all their stuff for like $7.99 per month.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,158 Posts

I thought it was an amazing show live but this is from huge live bias because I was having an amazing time in Dallas and was sitting dead center in the front row.

Highspots has it up on their streaming website and I've watched bits and pieces of it and I have to say it doesn't come across nearly as well as it did live. The crowd sounds dead and it hurts a lot. The crowd wasn't dead at all. It was one of the better indy crowds I've been in. Almost every match the crowd was into, and I mean into. After the show I almost felt like this was close to what it would have been like to be in a PWG crowd. Then I watched the stream and it didn't come across that way at all.

The first 2 matches were really good. The opener was the perfect opener because it had a great pace, was a blast too watch, and they didn't last forever. I had only seen Scrull and Ospreay once before (earlier in the day) and I thought they had a really good match. It was for the Progress Title and the whole thing was treated as if it were a main event. They had a different announcer do the match and I think a British referee (could be wrong but I think they did).

The comedy match was funny. Lucha Match was wild but there was this weird segment that was pretty stupid and might turn some people off. The 10-man tag was something else. Fun in person, don't know if it would convey as well when watching. I found Jarrett hilarious and he really pissed a bunch of people off in the crowd.

Hardy/Storm wasn't great. Not horrible but not too bad. The 6-man semi main event was good too. Fun dynamic with the teams. Main event had some cool spots but if I weren't in the front row I don't think I would have found it to be too amazing.

201 - 220 of 1353 Posts