Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of new to the Independent Circuit so tell me about these guys what are their gimmicks, wrestling styles, etc.: Eddie Kingston, Willie Mack, Brent Albright, BJ Whitmer, Erick Stevens, Adam Pearce

·
Registered
40 Posts
The only guys on the list who I actually like is Kingston being honest. Pearce was awesome back in his early PWG days but the rest I have never been a fan of.

Never understood the buzz around Willie Mack either..

:confused:

Reactions: smitlick

·
FAKE HAPPY
12,532 Posts
Eddie Kingston, Adam Pearce and Willie Mack are good wrestlers. Others - not so good.

·
Registered
11,710 Posts
Bobby Roode basically stole Adam Pearce stuff. Everything. Pearce is a wayyyyyyy better wrestler though. Adam Pearce doing a series with Cabana for the NWA World title at the moment.

Willie Mack also over in NWA Hollywood. He is a lovable Teddy Bear I guess. Classic babyface. I believe he would be over in WWE or TNA if he went there.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Kind of new to the Independent Circuit so tell me about these guys what are their gimmicks, wrestling styles, etc.: Eddie Kingston, Willie Mack, Brent Albright, BJ Whitmer, Erick Stevens, Adam Pearce
Eddie Kingston: Chikara's Grand Champion. Has an awesome personality. Former drug addict and alcoholic, tortured street kid who's evolved into a champion and guardian of his company's honor. Works a super strike heavy style with a lot of suplexes as a back up.

Willie Mack: I've mostly seen him in PWG. Big, fat guy with awesome agility. Pretty laid back, loveable personality. Seems like a super nice guy. Doesn't seem to have much beyond that though to be honest. I think we're still a little ways away from him really breaking out huge. Imagine a black Samoa Joe circa 2005, but without the MMA elements and you have a vague idea of his style.

Brent Albright: He's all but retired now. He was in WWE and OVW. Wrestled in OVW as a Benoit type, best technical wrestler guy. In ROH and the NWA, worked as "The Gun For Hire" as a technical assassin type. Had a feud with Adam Pierce over the NWA title that went on forever! On the indies, he's a big guy so he mixed a lot of big power moves with his german and half nelson suplexes, before finishing dude's with his Crowbar Fujiwara Armbar.

BJ Whitmer: Whitmer's an interesting wrestler because it seemed like it took him a while to find himself. He started as a guy who just sort of aped the spots of big puroresu guys, but didn't really have a reason to do it. Then he came to life during the CZW and Jimmy Jacobs feud and established himself as an awesome brawler. Went away from the national scene for a while, worked a reduced schedule and smaller shows. Did a lot of dates in AAW. While out in the indies he added an awesome Peruvian Necktie to his arsenal. He's trying to re-establish himself on the national scene now, it'll be interesting to see if he pulls it off.

Erick Stevens: Again, I think he's pretty much retired now isn't he? I think he left to go become a body builder? Back in the day, he was a big star in FIP and a reliable guy in ROH's midcard. Power wrestler who uses the jackhammer, TKO and the like. As well as a Choo-Choo Splash in the corner. I never really got into him.

Adam Pierce: Pierce works an Old School NWA wrestler gimmick. The robes, the one strap singlet. All that noise. He's a brilliant talker but to me can sometimes feel like he rings a little fake. He's constantly after the NWA title, having big feuds with ALbright, Cabana and Blue Demon JR over it. Uses a lot of old school moves like the spinning toe hold, figure four and the like while also using an awesome piledriver and breaking out a sweet fireman's carry powerbomb thing. Pierce is cool.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about Rocky Romero, Kenny Omega?

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I hear Kingston has good mic skills, How good are they?

·
Registered
987 Posts
He's my favorite promo guy in wrestling, personally. Although I don't know how well some of it translates without seeing the feud his series of promos during the Lince Dorado feud in Chikara are amazing.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He's my favorite promo guy in wrestling, personally. Although I don't know how well some of it translates without seeing the feud his series of promos during the Lince Dorado feud in Chikara are amazing.
So his gimmick is Cuban street thug?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Rocky Romero is a great wrestler, he is very similar in style to ROH's Davey Richards where he uses stiff kicks and submission type moves. I really like his stuff and always been disappointed he never did more work in the American scene bar his 3 years in ROH.

I agree with everybody's analysis of Kingston, he is phenomenal on all fronts.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rocky Romero is a great wrestler, he is very similar in style to ROH's Davey Richards where he uses stiff kicks and submission type moves. I really like his stuff and always been disappointed he never did more work in the American scene bar his 3 years in ROH.

I agree with everybody's analysis of Kingston, he is phenomenal on all fronts.
Kingston sounds good. Wonder why ROH let him go.

·
Registered
40 Posts
He was never really Ring of Honor's. Most indy guys have a preferred federation and Kingston is Chikara through and through!

·
Registered
705 Posts
So his gimmick is Cuban street thug?
Puerto Rican but yeah sometimes.

He's not much of a thug at the moment.

His gimmick at the moment is kind of a generic top face type thing who defends the honor of Chikara and takes on any challenger.

He pulls it off really well because he's so charismatic though.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Puerto Rican but yeah sometimes.

He's not much of a thug at the moment.

His gimmick at the moment is kind of a generic top face type thing who defends the honor of Chikara and takes on any challenger.

He pulls it off really well because he's so charismatic though.
So up to 2011, he's always had the Cuban Thug Gimmick?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts