Wrestling Forum banner

In who's corner should Mr. Perfect have been in?

• Ultimate Warrior

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Macho Man Randy Savage

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Stick with what they went with and have Perfect and Flair side with neither

Votes: 2 28.6%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going back and watching the buildup for Summerslam 1992 with the episodes of WWF Superstars on the WWE Network, the one that got the most attention was the storyline of "In who's corner will Mr. Perfect be in" for the Warrior/Savage match for the WWF Championship. Of course for those who watched, Perfect and Flair were in neither man's corner in the match and it was just a ruse for Flair to win the belt back from Savage. But suppose they actually did follow through and have Perfect side with one of them. Who would have you preferred it to have been? Warrior or Savage?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
From a storyline and character standpoint, Ric Flair and Mr. Perfect had fucked with Randy Savage way too much for him to align himself with Flair and Perfect. For Savage, his rivalry with Ric Flair was all about the shit that Ric Flair had been saying about Elizabeth (and the fact he kissed her at WrestleMania VIII), which made their rivalry intensely personal for him. There's no way that he'd have aligned himself with Flair and Perfect after they'd trash talked his wife like that; it just wouldn't have made sense storyline wise. It would've been better for Warrior to have aligned himself with Flair, I think. Warrior's motivation could've been simply wanting to win the WWF Championship, or jealousy of the fact that, despite beating Savage in a Career Ending Match, Savage's career was going great while he'd spent months on the sidelines. The shock factor of Warrior turning heel also would've been monumental: imagine the stunned reaction of 80,000 people at Wembley Stadium as Flair & Perfect raise the arm of Ultimate Warrior as the new WWF Champion! Would've been pretty cool, although in hindsight (with Warrior leaving just a few months later) it would've been such a short-lived heel turn that it wouldn't really have affected much in the long-run.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
They did the cop out but it was the decision at that time. Cartoon era Warrior as a heel would be weird and the Savage/Flair rivalry was too heated to swerve.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Its an awfully booked show looking back, still it was a slack time in the US for the WWF so getting the huge gate in the UK was a kiss of life

Shame they didnt have Flair in a match on the card instead of many which were there

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
They did the cop out but it was the decision at that time. Cartoon era Warrior as a heel would be weird and the Savage/Flair rivalry was too heated to swerve.
That's kind of the problem with this whole deal is it is booked around an angle with a crappy payoff paired with a screwjob finish. The match would have worked so much better as a natural grudge match between two of the most popular stars in the company with Savage still resentful of Warrior for ending his career a year earlier and Warrior wanting to get the belt back from the guy who cost him it.

This is like the polar opposite of their Career Match where the storytelling was top notch and the emotional finale hit all the right spots. It was a World Title rematch where seemingly neither guy wanted to either turn heel or do a clean job so the end result is the massive hype that has such a screw you finish to everyone who paid for it. Even the tag match they built off of it ended up not happening because Warrior left. It's really a no brainer why they went with Bulldog and Bret to close out the show. Even if Davey wasn't the hometown hero, this match would have completely stank up the joint if they had to follow the Intercontinental title match.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The match would have worked so much better as a natural grudge match between two of the most popular stars in the company with Savage still resentful of Warrior for ending his career a year earlier and Warrior wanting to get the belt back from the guy who cost him it.
Yeah, that would've made more sense. They could've booked Ric Flair to face somebody else - the Undertaker would've been my choice - rather than interfering in Warrior / Savage.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
That's kind of the problem with this whole deal is it is booked around an angle with a crappy payoff paired with a screwjob finish. The match would have worked so much better as a natural grudge match between two of the most popular stars in the company with Savage still resentful of Warrior for ending his career a year earlier and Warrior wanting to get the belt back from the guy who cost him it.

This is like the polar opposite of their Career Match where the storytelling was top notch and the emotional finale hit all the right spots. It was a World Title rematch where seemingly neither guy wanted to either turn heel or do a clean job so the end result is the massive hype that has such a screw you finish to everyone who paid for it. Even the tag match they built off of it ended up not happening because Warrior left. It's really a no brainer why they went with Bulldog and Bret to close out the show. Even if Davey wasn't the hometown hero, this match would have completely stank up the joint if they had to follow the Intercontinental title match.
I agree but it's classic Vince - wanting a huge match due to concern the stadium wouldn't fill and a taped show would bomb. Then struggling to find a protective ending. Warrior was definitely not the type to do the job to a face, if at all.

He booked himself into a hole again at Rumble 95 and 96.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I agree but it's classic Vince - wanting a huge match due to concern the stadium wouldn't fill and a taped show would bomb. Then struggling to find a protective ending. Warrior was definitely not the type to do the job to a face, if at all.

He booked himself into a hole again at Rumble 95 and 96.
The Rumble matches definitely had a similar problem with the lack of a cohesive finish but at least, they didn't build it around an angle with a fuck you payoff. In the case of 1996, I actually think it did the job of feeding the Taker-Diesel storyline. 1995 was just Vince not knowing what to do. He was trying to go full-in on Diesel but he didn't want to hurt Bret either. Booked it too early in my opinion but 1995 WWF was an onslaught of misguided booking.

Yeah, that would've made more sense. They could've booked Ric Flair to face somebody else - the Undertaker would've been my choice - rather than interfering in Warrior / Savage.
Might have made most sense to just book Savage-Flair and give Flair the belt back there, instead of on Superstars taping. Since the showing is closing with Bret-Bulldog and they are putting the belt on Davey in England, the crowd goes happy anyway. This allows Warrior to work as a "special attraction" against someone else and make the card feel bigger in terms of star power. I would have kept Taker with Kamala as the cool down match before the finale. It works solidly as a simple attraction match and you still get the great visual of Taker riding to the ring on the back of a hearse after the sun has gone down.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The Rumble matches definitely had a similar problem with the lack of a cohesive finish but at least, they didn't build it around an angle with a fuck you payoff. In the case of 1996, I actually think it did the job of feeding the Taker-Diesel storyline. 1995 was just Vince not knowing what to do. He was trying to go full-in on Diesel but he didn't want to hurt Bret either. Booked it too early in my opinion but 1995 WWF was an onslaught of misguided booking.

Might have made most sense to just book Savage-Flair and give Flair the belt back there, instead of on Superstars taping. Since the showing is closing with Bret-Bulldog and they are putting the belt on Davey in England, the crowd goes happy anyway. This allows Warrior to work as a "special attraction" against someone else and make the card feel bigger in terms of star power. I would have kept Taker with Kamala as the cool down match before the finale. It works solidly as a simple attraction match and you still get the great visual of Taker riding to the ring on the back of a hearse after the sun has gone down.
I vividly remember watching Warrior/Savage match 'live' and being relieved nobody turned (I was 7 and thought it was real) but being disappointed they didn't have a conclusive ending. Then forgetting all about it by the main event lol. I'm British and the audiences back then were predominantly under 13 so maybe they knew their audience more than we give them credit for. Though Iike you I still think the card should have been:

Hart/Smith, Taker/Kamala, Savage/Flair + Warrior/Shango, which didn't get a payoff until a video release. Could have made better use of Piper too

I think with Hart/Diesel, at least it built to a payoff at Survivor Series and was a really good match. Forgotten classic.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was a 6 year old who was actually there in the audience (the only wrestling event I have ever been to) and I remember there just being a lot of confusion and then on to the next match. We were all happy that Savage and Warrior appeared to be friends at the end (I was a little kid who loved the faces and hated the heels) but yeah, it was strangely booked when I look back.

·
Smokin' Da Good Stuff
3,634 Posts
Warrior wouldn't of let him be in his corner, Macho Man had Miss Elizabeth, Naitch was the perfect fit, no pun intended .

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Yeah, that makes more sense. Who would you have booked Ultimate Warrior against? Personally, I thought that the Papa Shango feud was utter dog shit, so I definitely wouldn’t have booked that. I’d have gone for either Shawn Michaels or Rick Martel, I think. It’s a shame that Sid Justice left, and that Jake Roberts wasn’t around after Wrestlemania, because the WWF definitely needed another top tier heel.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Yeah, that makes more sense. Who would you have booked Ultimate Warrior against? Personally, I thought that the Papa Shango feud was utter dog shit, so I definitely wouldn’t have booked that. I’d have gone for either Shawn Michaels or Rick Martel, I think. It’s a shame that Sid Justice left, and that Jake Roberts wasn’t around after Wrestlemania, because the WWF definitely needed another top tier heel.
Given that he was Warrior's biggest TV opponent at that point, Shango seems like the most logical choice. Martel didn't really have the star power and Michaels, while at least a suitable name on paper given his big breakthrough heel push, would probably benefitted little from what would likely be a mostly one-sided squash given Warrior's history.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts