Votes: 51 69.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a really long post lined up to open this thread but then I thought "fuck it, nobodies going to read it anyway."

So yeah, who was drew more munniez in the 90s out of these 2?

EDIT: Can a MOD move this poll to the General WWE board, lol.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
idk, i'll call the wwe offices and find out...

seriously, i think its kind of close..but i think it was bret. shawn may have topped him by the end of the decade, but im leaning towards bret.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Whilst Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart were the two undoubted main star's of their generation neither of them was actually the biggest draw of that era as neither man drew as much as Kevin Nash did as Diesel. I was actually reading some articles from "The New Generation" era a couple of weeks ago and in them it showed that WWE was doing horribly as far as ratings and PPV buyrates go back then in comparison to just before Bret Hart became WWF champion for the first time but the ratings and PPV buyrates picked up once Kevin Nash had won the WWF title and Shawn Michaels had moved into the main event scene.

I didn't look far enough into it to see what the ratings and PPV buyrates were like for the whole year that Kevin Nash was WWF champion but up until at least the summer the ratings and buyrates were up with Kevin Nash and Shawn Michaels being pushed as the top two wrestler's rather than Bret Hart and Owen Hart from the year before that so take from that what you will. I know that in Shawn Michaels main year as top guy in 1996 WWE did the worst numbers they had for years but Vince McMahon has always said that it was because of WCW doing the whole NWO storyline which no one could have done anything against.

Vince McMahon, Jim Ross and Triple H have all said on numerous occasions had it not been for Shawn Michaels being the best in the world back then things would have been much worse for WWE but people still watched Raw and bought PPV's with Shawn Michaels as the main man because they knew how great the main event would be if nothing else. That is the main difference between Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart as Bret Hart didn't have anything like The New World Order against him and WWE were on top until May 1996 which was a month after Shawn Michaels had won the WWF title at WrestleMania 12.

Because of how different the whole landscape was in Bret Hart's run as the main man and Shawn Michaels run as main man due to WCW being a much bigger promotion because of Scott Hall and Kevin Nash "invading" WCW and then the Hulk Hogan heel turn when Shawn Michaels was on top it is completely impossible to honestly answer for anyone. If you are a Bret Hart fan you will say Bret Hart and if you are a Shawn Michaels fan you would say Shawn Michaels but we will never know because of The New World Order although it is a known fact that once Shawn Michaels turned heel and formed D-Generation X the gap in the ratings was starting to close and WWE were selling out all their show's whilst WCW couldn't so whilst it may have not been seen on tv yet WWE were doing better than WCW/NWO in terms of drawing people in to watch live with Shawn Michaels on top.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Bret got on an episode of the simpsons

Shawn got a playgirl deal

business was going up and down while both were champion, so who knows?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was actually reading some articles from "The New Generation" era a couple of weeks ago and in them it showed that WWE was doing horribly as far as ratings and PPV buyrates go back then in comparison to just before Bret Hart became WWF champion for the first time but the ratings and PPV buyrates picked up once Kevin Nash had won the WWF title and Shawn Michaels had moved into the main event scene.

I didn't look far enough into it to see what the ratings and PPV buyrates were like for the whole year that Kevin Nash was WWF champion but up until at least the summer the ratings and buyrates were up with Kevin Nash and Shawn Michaels being pushed as the top two wrestler's rather than Bret Hart and Owen Hart from the year before that so take from that what you will.

Not true at all, at least as far as PPV buys go, (I couldnt get any info on RAW ratings preseptember 95 so I cant speak on that). Buyrates were down during 95(diesel's run) and 96 (shawns) in comparison to what they were during late 92, early 93 and 94(Bret). Of the big five PPV's only the 95 and 96 royal rumbles had more buys than in 94 (and bear in mind Bret was in the world title match in both of those events) with wrestlemania,KOTR,summerslam and survivor series doing better in 94. For Comparison...

Bret's run
SS 92-1.4
RR 93-1.25
WM IX-2.0
RR 94-0.9
WM X-1.68
KOTR94-0.85
Summerslam 94-1.3
SS94-0.9

Diesel's run
RR 95-1.0
WM XI-1.3
KOTR 95-0.65
Summerslam 95- 0.9
SS.95-0.57

Shawns run
WM XII-1.2
KOTR 96-0.6
Summerslam 96-0.58
SS 96- 0.58

Im not sure where you got Diesel being a bigger draw than Shawn and/or Bret but im pretty sure hes widely recognized as one of the worst drawing champions in WWF/E history (not entirely his fault though).

In regards to the original question Id say Bret, mainly because of how big he was worldwide (not just in Canada),and of course his buys compared to Shawns, although I realise there wasnt much HBK could do with the NWO exploding all over the other show at the time of his run.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Bret.

Shawn was champion in time when WWF was almost buried.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah, Diesel is one of the worst drawing champions in history.
Between Bret and Shawn id say its close in the USA but worldwide Bret wins by a landslide.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
I'm currently reading Bret's book and he said that when it came time for Diesel to drop the belt the boys where delighted because their pay-cheques had been light for almost all of the time Diesel was champ.

Neither where great draws but by WWF standards at the time they done alright, Bret didn't draw as much as Wrestling but Vince downsized the WWF in a big way in the aftermath of Hogan's run in 92 so while profits weren't as big from 93-95 expenditures also weren't anywhere near what they where in the late 80s either

More adult males converted to WCW during Shawn Michaels time as the WWF Champion than at any other period when they where in direct competition, this from a huge Shawn fan too

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Bret was a maineventer in the 90's longer than HBK. Bret brought back pure wrestling and had alotta traditional fans as well as young fans. Shawn made most of the older males switch to WcW.

HBK would've definently ended up drawing more had he been wrestling in '98 and '99, but that's not the case. They both are legends, but in the 90's Bret was definently more respected, and overall more of a draw IMO.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
Bret, probably. He was ontop for most of the 90s. But Shawn was a surprisingly good draw as US champ and could still pack the house shows even in 1996.

I cant blame Shawn for the 'Boyhood dream' fiasco. I mean, that storyline was actually doing pretty well. But like any man could have possibly competed with the nWo at that time.

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
Whilst Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart were the two undoubted main star's of their generation neither of them was actually the biggest draw of that era as neither man drew as much as Kevin Nash did as Diesel. I was actually reading some articles from "The New Generation" era a couple of weeks ago and in them it showed that WWE was doing horribly as far as ratings and PPV buyrates go back then in comparison to just before Bret Hart became WWF champion for the first time but the ratings and PPV buyrates picked up once Kevin Nash had won the WWF title and Shawn Michaels had moved into the main event scene.

I didn't look far enough into it to see what the ratings and PPV buyrates were like for the whole year that Kevin Nash was WWF champion but up until at least the summer the ratings and buyrates were up with Kevin Nash and Shawn Michaels being pushed as the top two wrestler's rather than Bret Hart and Owen Hart from the year before that so take from that what you will. I know that in Shawn Michaels main year as top guy in 1996 WWE did the worst numbers they had for years but Vince McMahon has always said that it was because of WCW doing the whole NWO storyline which no one could have done anything against.

Vince McMahon, Jim Ross and Triple H have all said on numerous occasions had it not been for Shawn Michaels being the best in the world back then things would have been much worse for WWE but people still watched Raw and bought PPV's with Shawn Michaels as the main man because they knew how great the main event would be if nothing else. That is the main difference between Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart as Bret Hart didn't have anything like The New World Order against him and WWE were on top until May 1996 which was a month after Shawn Michaels had won the WWF title at WrestleMania 12.

Because of how different the whole landscape was in Bret Hart's run as the main man and Shawn Michaels run as main man due to WCW being a much bigger promotion because of Scott Hall and Kevin Nash "invading" WCW and then the Hulk Hogan heel turn when Shawn Michaels was on top it is completely impossible to honestly answer for anyone. If you are a Bret Hart fan you will say Bret Hart and if you are a Shawn Michaels fan you would say Shawn Michaels but we will never know because of The New World Order although it is a known fact that once Shawn Michaels turned heel and formed D-Generation X the gap in the ratings was starting to close and WWE were selling out all their show's whilst WCW couldn't so whilst it may have not been seen on tv yet WWE were doing better than WCW/NWO in terms of drawing people in to watch live with Shawn Michaels on top.
This. Great post.

·
My name is 905 and I've just become alive
5,103 Posts
I am going to say Bret because the Montreal Screwjob definitely doesn't happen without him. It sparked the Mr. McMahon character, the perfect foil for Stone Cold, which led to the Attitude Era which drew like crazy. I know the answer is gimmicky...

·
Registered
849 Posts
Easily Bret. He was literally the face from 92 to 96 and again in 97. Anyone saying Shawn here is either to young to really know or is in plain denial. Bret was bigger than Shawn in the states and WAAAAAY Bigger in Canada and Over seas,,

1 - 20 of 34 Posts