Wrestling Forum banner

In Terms of Entertainment: Cody Rhodes>Alberto Del Rio

4848 Views 57 Replies 50 Participants Last post by  Dark Church
Dead serious.

I think its safe to say right? Dashing has what Del Rio doesn't, and that is mic skills. His timing is great. Also his feud with Rey is way more intriguing than the one Del Rio had with him.

When it come to ring work, even though he's a smaller guy, Rhodes has proving that he can put on a much entertaining match than Del Rio. ADR has the green-light push and Cody has a midcard push and yet their heat are similar to each other.

I mean, I understand WWE has to appeal to the latino crowd, so I have no problems with ADR getting pushed. Plus he's kind of entertaining.
Reactions: 1andOnlyDobz!
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Wrestling is better while drinking
2,039 Posts
I think ADR is very good on the mic. He is a different type of character than Cody. I love how Cody's character is evolving and how well he has handled that evolution and the changes in tone. ADR is still the same smarmy heel, but he does it very well. I actually ADR will eventually be turned face and do very well in that role. Right now ADR is getting stale with the same monotonous segments, but that isn't his fault as much as it is the writers. He is still generating serious heat though.

· Registered
6,114 Posts
I completely agree. I think Del Rio is very talented, but he is definitely overrated, especially on this forum and for the life of me I can never figure out why. I'm glad there are others such as yourself that agree that Del Rio isn't getting anymore heat than 'Dashing' Cody Rhodes and that the difference between them lies in the mic skills. Rhodes is in CM Punk and Miz's league imo in terms of mic skills. Del Rio I think is in the league below, but will be up for promotion pretty soon. Also, Del Rio imo although is a very good heel that plays his role almost to perfection, it's not something I haven't already seen, so I find myself struggling to become interested in it at times.
Rhodes, on the other hand, particularly after adding this 'American Psycho'-esque dimension to his 'Dashing' gimmick is making his character more and more unique, which makes me want to watch his character development every single week. I find myself comparing him to Mick Foley as Mankind and Matt Borne as heel Doink in the way he acts and speaks. Those 2 I believe are 2 of the best mic workers (particularly as heels) in history. Rhodes is on his way to stardom with this feud imo, especially as his mic skills are what's got me intrigued with this feud with Mysterio added on to the fact that creative have booked this feud very well so far. I wouldn't be altogether surprised if Dusty, Mysterio and even Cody himself have influenced the booking of the feud so far.

· Registered
3,506 Posts
Cody bores me for some reason, but he is still better then Del RIo

· Registered
52 Posts
As a fan of both Del Rio and Cody Rhodes, I am very entertained by both. I have to admit, though, that Cody Rhodes was more entertaining to me this past week of Smackdown. It was very satisfying to see him having the spotlight on the mic for a good few minutes cutting a pretty good and convincing promo. Although I still have a feeling that Rey will win at Mania, I do hope that Cody gives it his all because this is the best chance he's got to prove to the Universe that he belongs in this company. As for Alberto, I'm really excited for his match as well because of how quick he's risen as a star.

· SWAG/SPICE
41,146 Posts
Del Rio is an obvious major heel factor in terms of dominance and power he has pretty much destroyed most that came his way, that is what he beats Cody in. But in Mic skills and promo cutting, Rhodes is pretty much more then Del Rio.

· You're better than that Cole.
3,991 Posts
I completely agree. I think Del Rio is very talented, but he is definitely overrated, especially on this forum and for the life of me I can never figure out why. I'm glad there are others such as yourself that agree that Del Rio isn't getting anymore heat than 'Dashing' Cody Rhodes and that the difference between them lies in the mic skills. Rhodes is in CM Punk and Miz's league imo in terms of mic skills. Del Rio I think is in the league below, but will be up for promotion pretty soon. Also, Del Rio imo although is a very good heel that plays his role almost to perfection, it's not something I haven't already seen, so I find myself struggling to become interested in it at times.
Rhodes, on the other hand, particularly after adding this 'American Psycho'-esque dimension to his 'Dashing' gimmick is making his character more and more unique, which makes me want to watch his character development every single week. I find myself comparing him to Mick Foley as Mankind and Matt Borne as heel Doink in the way he acts and speaks. Those 2 I believe are 2 of the best mic workers (particularly as heels) in history. Rhodes is on his way to stardom with this feud imo, especially as his mic skills are what's got me intrigued with this feud with Mysterio added on to the fact that creative have booked this feud very well so far. I wouldn't be altogether surprised if Dusty, Mysterio and even Cody himself have influenced the booking of the feud so far.
Couldn't have said it any better then this.

At the moment Cody is a lot more interesting than ADR. ADR needs to come up with variations in his promos as they all sound the same to me right now.
And this

· Registered
673 Posts
The think with Alberto is they pushed him waaaaay to much. He hasn't been in the WWE more than a year and he is already in the WM main event. Cody Rhodes has been around for a while and now has a great gimmick. I rather watch the Super Rey vs Rhodes match than Edge vs Del Rio

· Registered
267 Posts
del rio does amuse me. I especially love the the smarmy wink he gives to the camera. I think he has a great persona to be a heel but I do wish the WWE would stop with the drivingg out in a new car bit. It's just not amusing.

Cody has a real chance to cement a spot on the roster with this storyline. A continued leadup and a good showing a mania will probably mean a belt push sooner than later.

· Registered
10,918 Posts
"People are looking at me" was delivered to perfection a few weeks ago.

Cody Rhodes may not be World Champ but damn it WWE put some emphasis on your midcard division! Swagger, McIntyre, Mysterio, Kingston, Rhodes, Barretta list goes on.

Cody Rhodes has all the tools to be very prosperous in the IC title picture.

· Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Hmm... Looks like the band wagoning has started rather late.

However, I'll agree that as of right now, Rhodes is the most entertaining thing on Smackdown. I don't think he's better than Del Rio in the ring, and both men can work their gimmicks well, but Rhodes is currently more entertaining.

· Banned
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm... Looks like the band wagoning has started rather late.

However, I'll agree that as of right now, Rhodes is the most entertaining thing on Smackdown. I don't think he's better than Del Rio in the ring, and both men can work their gimmicks well, but Rhodes is currently more entertaining.
nope...I was on the bandwagon back during the Legacy. I never get how people thought Theodore Dibiase was the talent in that group.

Anyways, I wasn't expecting this many people to agree with me considering how alot of people are sprinkled in ADR's liquid kids.

· Registered
4,651 Posts
I really don't think it has much to do with the individuals. It's just that Rhodes has a lot of momentum and is involved in a great feud with history. ADR has sort of deflated recently, Edge/ADR doesn't have much build yet and he seems to just be coasting into Wrestlemania. As talents, they are both great.

ADR's mic work is fine by the way. It's not as if he's responsible for the promos being repetitive, they are written for him. He just has to deliver them like a cocky douchebag, which he does. Besides, the repetition is part of his gimmick, he thinks everyone is an idiot. "How many times do I have to tell you people", "but you already know that", etc.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.