anyone of a massive
size, regardless of their
lack of talent, ability or
overall suitability to
wrestling.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
It is slightly uncomfortable to watch The Great Khali limp out on Raw or SmackDown these days.

Things don’t get much better when he enters in the ring, either. The former World Heavyweight Champion appears to be extremely limited in what he can do (and he wasn’t exactly Shawn Michaels to begin with) and struggles even doing and taking the most basic of moves.

By the looks of it, the lumbering giant’s body is quickly falling apart. This isn’t surprising. Generally, the freakishly tall behemoths of wrestling age badly. You see people like Khali tend to be plagued by physical problems anyway, on account of their large frames and weight. Throw in the wear and tear of pro wrestling and you have a recipe for disaster, with these individuals often suffering from severe health issues in later life.

Legendary WWF star Andre the Giant and WCW’s Giant Gonzalez, both of whom died young, are the two most prominent examples (in fact, Gonzalez spent the last few years of his life in a wheelchair). Only The Big Show, whose body does seem to be holding up well, looks to be the exception to the rule.

Interestingly, on recent episodes of he (subscribers-only) Wrestling Observer Radio host Bryan Alvarez have even suggested that Vince McMahon, aware that his employee doesn’t have much longer in wrestling, is allowing him to make as much money as possible before he leaves, hence his prominent role on TV in recent times. Alvarez may be spot-on with this theory (hey, Vince isn’t all bad you know) and it seems likely that WWE brass know the giant is winding down, and his time in the business is coming to an end.

So, as we look at Khali's time in WWE, what exactly is his legacy in WWE?
Well, all things considered, his run can be considered a flop. He didn’t come close to emulating the success of Andre the Giant. Or even The Big Show. After debuting in 2006 for a program with The Undertaker, Khali then had a main event and World Heavyweight title run in 2007, notably only for some awful matches, including the unintentionally hilarious Punjabi Prison bout at that year’s No Mercy. While someone at his size should have been guaranteed a secure main event spot in WWE for however long he wanted it, Khali was hindered by a lack of promo skills or anything resembling wrestling ability.

While no one could realistically expect anyone at his size to be the next Kurt Angle, even when we lower our standards, Khali is still an awful, atrocious wrestler who really should have never been allowed anywhere near a wrestling ring. We also feel quite bad for his opponents who had to carry the bumbling giant through his—usually short— matches.

Dave Batista, who worked with Khali frequently in 2007 and 2008, would say in interviews that Khali
was an extremely nice person but acknowledged that working with him was “incredibly hard” and he considered their matches the worst of his career. Let’s face it: For the sake of his fellow wrestlers, WWE fans everywhere—and his health, of course—Khali may have been better staying out of wrestling and sticking to picking up various Hollywood movie roles to make himself money (with his height, the star has been in fairly high demand in the film business, picking up supporting roles in hit films like The Longest Yard and The A Team). Likely aware of his flaws, WWE steered clear of pushing Khali as a main eventer after his disastrous world title reign and stuck him in a mid-card role and using him as comedy filler at various points (anyone remember the dire “Punjabi Playboy” gimmick?).

He also had a brief unmemorable spell on Raw after he got drafted in 2010, returning to the blue brand soon after (due to Khali’s terrible in-ring skills, SD’s taped format, in which he can be heavily edited, is obviously preferable). There was also an absolutely awful soap- opera style storyline with Khali and then- manager Jinder Mahal in which it was revealed on-screen that Mahal was actually Khali’s brother-in-law and if the giant didn’t do every single thing the ruthless manager ordered, he would divorce Khali's sister back in India and bring shame upon the entire family—or something

like that. Who on earth thought this was a good idea for a storyline? You could call all this a waste of the money they were paying and of Khali’s talents—he’s a spectacle, if nothing else—but considering his inherent flaws are a performer, it remains to be seen what suitable role WWE could have found for him. Dreadful matches, stop-and-start pushes, abysmal storylines…no, Khali doesn’t have a great legacy in WWE. He may even be considered one of the biggest flops in WWE history considering how heavily he was hyped upon his debut.

Despite his problems as a wrestler though, it is unfair to heap the blame on all this the star himself. After all, the man is just trying to make a living. The blame for this should probably go on Vince McMahon, WWE and their ridiculous big- man mentality, which sees the company often overtaken by the urgent need to sign anyone of a massive size, regardless of their lack of talent, ability or overall suitability towrestling.

Oh god fix'd. Please don't post like that with the enters again... I better get something nice for this.

If you're on your phone may I suggest saving the text as a .txt file and bluetoothing it to a laptop or transferring it to a PC then posting it? :)

edit: Now for a response.

It didn't seem like a defence to Khali, really.

Honestly, everyone knows that the guy can't really help his problems he has in the ring because of his stature, there's a difference between Khali and Show, I think they had different growth problems[citation needed]

Anyone who is dead set on hating Khali because of his in-ring abilities is an absolute idiot.

But I don't blame anyone who says that maybe, just maybe, Khali should quit the wrestling business and, as you said, try for a lot of movie roles that require a tall imposing figure.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh god fix'd. Please don't post like that with the enters again... I better get something nice for this.

If you're on your phone may I suggest saving the text as a .txt file and bluetoothing it to a laptop or transferring it to a PC then posting it? :)
will do that next time:)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
OP, Did you actually type that on your cell phone? Or did you copy and paste it from another site?

Anyway, I did actually struggle my way through it and it is a pretty good read. Somehow you took a guy that I can't stand to see on my TV and made me read a terribly formatted article about him, lol.

I hope Khali is on his way out. I'm sure he is a nice guy and all, but he has absolutely nothing to offer in my opinion. Just too awkward and clumsy. Remember that time he eliminated himself in a Battle Royal by stepping over the top rope? :lol Then the referee just ignored it.

When I see a Khali match on TV, I skip it 90% of the time. So yeah, I agree with the premise of the OP. Khali's major selling point--his freakish size--only got him so far. Now it's just a novelty, and he will leave almost no lasting legacy of any import.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OP, Did you actually type that on your cell phone? Or did you copy and paste it from another site?

Anyway, I did actually struggle my way through it and it is a pretty good read. Somehow you took a guy that I can't stand to see on my TV and made me read a terribly formatted article about him, lol.

I hope Khali is on his way out. I'm sure he is a nice guy and all, but he has absolutely nothing to offer in my opinion. Just too awkward and clumsy. Remember that time he eliminated himself in a Battle Royal by stepping over the top rope? :lol Then the referee just ignored it.

When I see a Khali match on TV, I skip it 90% of the time. So yeah, I agree with the premise of the OP. Khali's major selling point--his freakish size--only got him so far. Now it's just a novelty, and he will leave almost no lasting legacy of any import.
yes you are right Khali got over for his gigantic size bt the point we always like to bash him so came in defence of guy or ;-) whatever he is

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
i kinda loled since the title said in defence of khali but then for 3/4 of that story i read only about his fail then in the end its like dont blame him blame vince

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
i kinda loled since the title said in defence of khali but then for 3/4 of that story i read only about his fail then in the end its like dont blame him blame vince
i agree, this post was bullshit

Khali rules and was in no way a disaster.

fun fact: more people paid to see Khali v Cena than they did to see Punk vs Cena

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Hmmmm. If Khali was used properly, he could have been a bigger asset to the company. The kids and casuals get a real thrill out of seeing a guy that size and he should have been reserved for special occassions (maybe wrestling only at the big four PPVs, or even once a year exclusively at Wrestlemania) so that there was a genuine buzz of "holy fucking shit! The giant is back!" I also think that they missed a trick by not having Hulk Hogan vs Khali in 2007 - the 20th anniversary of Hogan/Andre. Don't get me wrong, the match would have been dreadful but I think that there would have been real main stream interest in recreating the biggest event in WWF history.

On a side note, I hear that Khali is a great guy off camera.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmmm. If Khali was used properly, he could have been a bigger asset to the company. The kids and casuals get a real thrill out of seeing a guy that size and he should have been reserved for special occassions (maybe wrestling only at the big four PPVs, or even once a year exclusively at Wrestlemania) so that there was a genuine buzz of "holy fucking shit! The giant is back!" I also think that they missed a trick by not having Hulk Hogan vs Khali in 2007 - the 20th anniversary of Hogan/Andre. Don't get me wrong, the match would have been dreadful but I think that there would have been real main stream interest in recreating the biggest event in WWF history.

On a side note, I hear that Khali is a great guy off camera.
yes he is quite humble guy,you are Right about Wwe couldn't cash in on Khali & i'm also trying to say that some members are misunderstood the whole Point

·
Sheriff of Piltover
2,879 Posts
Just because someone has a body that is falling apart doesn't mean I should feel bad for him.

Dude, if your body is falling apart and you look like complete trash in the ring, it's time to quit.

Obviously, we don't expect him to be the next big superstar, he should atleast be able to do A MOVE.

I hate that they hired him just because he is a huge guy. Being big doesn't make you a good wrestler.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just because someone has a body that is falling apart doesn't mean I should feel bad for him.

Dude, if your body is falling apart and you look like complete trash in the ring, it's time to quit.

Obviously, we don't expect him to be the next big superstar, he should atleast be able to do A MOVE.

I hate that they hired him just because he is a huge guy. Being big doesn't make you a good wrestler.
yeah being big doesn't make you good wrestler b8 it gets you over just think if brock lesnar was size of mysterio would you have taken him as next big thing?then for sympathy i'm trying to say he's on last leg of his career or even his life just accept guy what he's for god's sake for few months

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Is there something wrong with your ENTER key?
Long story shory, I know that Khali is there only for the support of the Indian fans, but this guy is ridiculous. He cannot wrestle, he cannot do nothing but chops, he's not charismatic or have any special abilities. This guy should go, he's wasting a spot in the roster that some other guy could take.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts