Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year and also again this year we have seen The Undertaker involved in the best match of the entire year in any wrestling promotion in the world in my opinion and over the last few years we have actually seen most of The Undertaker's best matches of his career happen as well but now that he is yet again injured and requiring surgery for the third time this year alone is it in all honesty time for The Undertaker to give it up and retire before he does himself long term damage.

I have always been a fan of The Undertaker's but without ever being a mark for him and i would say that outside of Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock Kurt Angle and John Cena there hasn't been a wrestler in WWE who's work i have enjoyed more over a whole career than The Undertaker's and i have so many great memories from wrestling that he has given me from all the way back in late 1990. For me the gimmick of The Undertaker is head and shoulders above every other gimmick any wrestler has ever used and it is hands down the best gimmick character in wrestling history.

Alongside Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart he helped carry WWE through it's darkest days in "The New Generation Era" when the company was void of any real star power outside of those three and then he was a HUGE part of "The Attitude Era" alongside Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock and Triple H. When WWE went into another transitional period again in early 2003 it was The Undertaker alongside Shawn Michaels, Triple H and Kurt Angle that carried the company through whilst the likes of John Cena, Randy Orton and Batista all came through to superstardom.

Also every year since WrestleMania 23 his matches on the biggest stage of all have some how got better but at what cost because it seems to me that as soon as WrestleMania has been and gone The Undertaker has to have at least a few months off because of his injuries and then when he returns he is around for maybe a few months before going away again because of a new injury which means he is away again until the build up for WrestleMania the following year. I understand that The Undertaker has more than paid his dues and is very deserving of the schedule that he works but the reality now is that he doesn't even work the small schedule that he is contracted to work because he gets injured almost every time he wrestles.

With The Undertaker now being out injured again until January/February next year would it be a good idea for WWE to start planning a farewell storyline for The Undertaker for WrestleMania 28 in 2012 which would see The Undertaker wrestle at WrestleMania 27 and win but then from the following PPV lose a match that see's him off tv until The Royal Rumble in 2012 or something before having a final few months of working a proper tv schedule albeit hardly wrestling along the way and then having a final match at WrestleMania 28.

If i were in charge of creative and booking i would have had The Undertaker's final match at the next WrestleMania but because of the storyline with Kane and how it has ended for the time being i think that is now impossible because The Undertaker will almost certainly return to feud with Kane and beat him for a third time at WrestleMania 27 so it would be impossible for The Undertaker to go out then unless he retires at a lesser PPV which i can't see happening because Vince McMahon will want it to be on the biggest stage of all.

For my mind though the time has now come form The Undertaker to retire simply because his body just can not handle being in the ring anymore in today's generation which is often fast paced, especially over on SmackDown, and because of the gimmick that he has The Undertaker is often involved in gimmick matches due to his character which makes his matches even harder on his body. Because he will always be at the top of the card there is more emphasis put on The Undertaker's matches to be seen as great which put's a lot of strain on him physically and in my opinion he can no longer handle it, leave your thoughts and opinions.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Source:E-Wrestling news

To follow up on the news that The Undertaker's shoulder has been causing him a lot of pain in recent months, we can confirm that the Dead Man is scheduled to undergo surgery this weekend to repair a torn rotator cuff.

At this point, the main concern is that he is healthy and able to work in time for WrestleMania in April - which is far from a guarantee.

When the injury first happened a few months ago and it became apparent that time off was inevitable, WWE planned for the Undertaker to lose a Buried Alive match against Kane at Survivor Series and then rest up after that. When the pain got worse, the call was made to have the Buried Alive match take place at Bragging Rights and get the surgery over with.

As recent as last week, there was talk that Taker may continue to wrestle lightly for the next few months, wrestle at WrestleMania 27 and then take the time off but that has changed now that the decision has been made to have surgery.

We should have a better idea this weekend as to The Undertaker's recovery time.

I just though i would add this to my point about whether it is now time for The Undertaker to finally retire before he does himself long term damage.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
They're trying everything in their power to get him to 20-0. Personally, I agree. He can still deliver in big time situations. And the allure of that legacy of '20-0' is too big to ignore. He only has two things left to do really, reach 20-0, and fight John Cena.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I'd certainly agree that he should retire, not necessarily immediately, but he certainly should not be going on for too much longer. It's become abundantly clear that his body cannot cope with the stresses of regular wrestling; even given lengthy hiatus he tends to break down upon return.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Trade him to Raw and make him win the title at Elimination Chamber. Then put the ME as 'Taker Vs Cena and in the middle of the show make The Miz fail to cash him on him making it a 19-0

Then at the ME he goes 20-0. Ending Career Spectacle. Pyro. More pyro. Bye bye

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
I'd like to see him get to 20-0/19-1 at Wrestlemania, then I think it'd probably be time for him to hang it up and call it a day. He's been wrestling for around quarter of a century so 18 more months shouldn't be too hard to manage.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Trade him to Raw and make him win the title at Elimination Chamber. Then put the ME as 'Taker Vs Cena and in the middle of the show make The Miz fail to cash him on him making it a 19-0

Then at the ME he goes 20-0. Ending Career Spectacle. Pyro. More pyro. Bye bye
Lol that's harsh.

He should retire soon, i personally haven't enjoyed him in a long time. Though i won't mind if he competes for two more WMs to reach 20-0 and then retires.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd like to see him get to 20-0/19-1 at Wrestlemania, then I think it'd probably be time for him to hang it up and call it a day. He's been wrestling for around quarter of a century so 18 more months shouldn't be too hard to manage.
The whole point of what i am saying though is that he struggles wrestling two or three feuds a year now without breaking down and needing more surgery, so far this year we have seen The Undertaker feud with Shawn Michaels and Kane and that is it and he is about to have the third bout of surgery this year just from two feuds and around seven or eight matches over the course of the whole year. I'm sorry but a professional athlete should not be breaking down so frequently as The Undertaker seem's to and i honestly don't believe he will make another 18 months.

Let's just say he makes it back in time for WrestleMania 27 and has another high profile match as he always will on that stage what happen's afterwards because if he wrestler's Kane again and end's his career he will need to be around afterwards for at least a month or two to work with Wade Barrett who will most likely "injure" The Undertaker so that he can go away and rest again for a while but after WrestleMania 27 it is likely he will have to go back and rest up some more.

That would mean that The Undertaker would have to be back again by SummerSlam to finish the feud with Wade Barrett off and would then have to be "injured" by someone yet again so that he is able to make it through to WrestleMania 28. Now that just doesn't work for me and i would be surprised if most people would accept it as well as the whole point of The Undertaker character is he is non human and can not be beaten but yet he would have been taken out yet again which destroys his character and makes him look weak.

It may be a good idea to have both The Undertaker and Kane retire at WrestleMania 27 with The Undertaker beating Kane in some kind of gimmick match which see's the end of Kane but leading up to the match we could see The Undertaker say that his body will only allow him one more match and that he will finish the feud with Kane off for good. That would allow The Undertaker a big storyline to go out with because the build up in between say The Elimination Chamber and WrestleMania would have a lot of momentum put into it and Vince McMahon would tell WWE creative to go all out for it as well.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
He can get to 20-0. Give the guy the majority of the year off after WrestleMania 27. I figure he'll face Barrett at 27. Then have him suffer an injury at the hands of *insert heel here* have the heel brag for the rest of the year that he took out the Undertaker then have the Undertaker return at the Rumble and eliminate the heel from the Rumble. Maybe have it be Sheamus? Then have Sheamus beat him at the PPV BEFORE Mania. Then have Undertaker come out and tease a retirement, then Cena comes out and says there is nothing more that he wants than to wrestle the Undertaker at WrestleMania. Cena is on top of the WWE and has been for years and accomplished all there is and the only accomplishment he doesn'thave is beating The Undetaker at WrestleMania. One last match where he beats Cena and Taker retires.

That way The Undertaker elevates somebody on his way out without losing at Mania and gets to 20-0.

Things could be A LOT different if Cena is a heel, but I just don't see that happening.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
He should retire, that or only wrestle from February until Wrestlemania and then hibernate and come back the next February until Wrestlemania and then retire.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
... and he is about to have the third bout of surgery this year just from two feuds and around seven or eight matches over the course of the whole year.
Ok, I get that the guy is definitely banged up at any given time, but really? Do you actually think he only wrestles 7 or 8 matches a year?!

Sure, he has a limited schedule, but the guy still works overseas tours and house shows. When he returns from injury and is (relatively) fighting fit, he probably still works around 3 matches per week. I'm pretty sure Shawn Michaels wasn't even able to work that much due to injuries.

He'll make it at least 18 more months. It'd take 2 broken legs to slow 'Taker down to the point of forced retirement.

·
Keeping the red flag flying high
2,044 Posts
It's unfortunate that it's so close to him getting 20-0 at Wrestlemania as I can deffintely see him at the very least staying around until then, however he should have retired about 2/3 years ago regardless if he can get a 4/5 star match out once a year, his health is totally deteriorating which is his primary objective . Even though he gets semi-decent reactions from the live audience his character has been so stale over the past 3 or so years and it's always the same; wins hi match at mania, gets injured, comes back for summerslam, injured again, comes back for Survivor Series, wins title, and wins at Wrestlemania and it's getting mightly repetitive. So for me he needs to retire , as for when I think he will hang up his boots? probably once he gets to 20-0 at Wresetlemania, how I think he'll retire I have no earthly idea and I dont think WWE creative do either.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I get that the guy is definitely banged up at any given time, but really? Do you actually think he only wrestles 7 or 8 matches a year?!

Sure, he has a limited schedule, but the guy still works overseas tours and house shows. When he returns from injury and is (relatively) fighting fit, he probably still works around 3 matches per week. I'm pretty sure Shawn Michaels wasn't even able to work that much due to injuries.

He'll make it at least 18 more months. It'd take 2 broken legs to slow 'Taker down to the point of forced retirement.
When i said he had worked around seven or eight matches i was talking abiut this year and whilst he may do some house shows i think that he makes special appearances at those shows to further his feuds rather than actually wrestle. How many matches would you say that The Undertaker has worked this year because for my memory i can only recall Rey Mysterio at The Royal Rumble, The Elimination Chamber, Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 26, Jack Swagger and Edge on Raw, Rey Mysterio on SmackDown, CM Punk on SmackDown and the three matches with Kane on PPV.

·
Banned
542 Posts
They're trying everything in their power to get him to 20-0. Personally, I agree. He can still deliver in big time situations. And the allure of that legacy of '20-0' is too big to ignore. He only has two things left to do really, reach 20-0, and fight John Cena.
^ this and also

He must get to 20- 0 and have Cena be his last victim. Perfect ending for the deadman. Or have another buried alive match at WM 28 and have Paul bearer bury both Taker and Kane so it would be a draw but then again that wouldnt sit right because you cant say hes 20- 0 that way. Or if WWE decides do this have after a buried alive match make Taker beat Kane and have Paul trick Taker in to a trap so that they both will be buried with him the last man stand and laughing. Then on raw have him cut some epic promo on why he wanted both of them buried it then the area goes black and he disappears. ( yea i know i put to much though in that)

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^ this and also

He must get to 20- 0 and have Cena be his last victim. Perfect ending for the deadman. Or have another buried alive match at WM 28 and have Paul bearer bury both Taker and Kane so it would be a draw but then again that wouldnt sit right because you cant say hes 20- 0 that way. Or if WWE decides do this have after a buried alive match make Taker beat Kane and have Paul trick Taker in to a trap so that they both will be buried with him the last man stand and laughing. Then on raw have him cut some epic promo on why he wanted both of them buried it then the area goes black and he disappears. ( yea i know i put to much though in that)
That is a hell of an elaborate storyline especially since it means that WWE creative and their booking team would have to find a way to make people tune in and watch The Undertaker and Kane feuding all the way through to WrestleMania 28 when the reality is people stopped caring already or didn't care about the feud from the beginning.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
^ this and also

This is pretty creative, I like it. I wouldn't see how it would be possible, but I don't work for the creative team so what do I know? Haha.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Id have him come back after the rumble, if possible. Finish the feud with Kane at Elimination Chamber in some gimmick match then focus on Barret & Nexus for burying him. Face Barret at WM, Taker obviously will win but Barret will get a big boost from it. Taker comes back in the summer and feuds with someone. Then his final program with Cena will start in January 2012 leading to the Big match at WM28

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Id have him come back after the rumble, if possible. Finish the feud with Kane at Elimination Chamber in some gimmick match then focus on Barret & Nexus for burying him. Face Barret at WM, Taker obviously will win but Barret will get a big boost from it. Taker comes back in the summer and feuds with someone. Then his final program with Cena will start in January 2012 leading to the Big match at WM28
There is no way in the world that he will be back in time for The Royal Rumble and isn't even guarenteed of being abck for WrestleMania 27 at 100%. If he does come back for WrestleMania then he will have to come back and finish the feud with Kane and nothing else in reality makes any sense even though i don't think anyone really wants to see those two continue their feud any longer than they already have.

Sense wise we should see The Undertaker come back and beat Kane and send him into retirement and then go away again for a while because he will need to rest up some more if he is to work a full blown feud with Wade Barrett who whilst a great mic worker needs to be carried in the ring still. That will mean that The Undertaker will have to carry him in ring wise during the feud and that will take it's toll so i would have him go away and then come back before SummerSlam and have the feud go through that PPV and possibly one or two more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts