Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And wrestling is the same. To sell to the mass market you don't HAVE to be a big dude, but it is more likely a big guy will sell. Ask anyone to name 10 boxers and you will just get the same old names: Ali, Frazer, Lewis, Tyson...you won't hear about Rigondeaux or someone like that.

Of course there are exceptions. Floyd mayweather in boxing was a big draw. Daniel Bryan in wrestling was a big draw. But they are the exceptions. The rule is that big guys sell. Hogan sold, Nash sold, Sting sold, Austin sold, Rock sold. All, in part, because they were larger than normal dudes who were stacked.

I find there is a tendency of some wrestling fans online is to pretend like size doesn't matter. That dean malenko should of been "the guy" in wcw and not hulk hogan because he was a better worker.

But, personally, as a wrestling fan I want wrestling to be as big and as popular as it can be. That way the wrestling will be funded better, the wrestlers will get more money, and everyone will be happier. There is no question that big guys need to be pushed to make this the case.

So I would say to some fans that they should try to get behind some of the big guys in the wwe rather than just hating on all of them because they have a vendetta against Vince's "big man" policy. Remember that its in everyones interest that wrestling is a success and popular and that being popular will, in part, depend on pushing big guys. Because big guys sell. Always have and always will.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
And wrestling is the same. To sell to the mass market you don't HAVE to be a big dude, but it is more likely a big guy will sell. Ask anyone to name 10 boxers and you will just get the same old names: Ali, Frazer, Lewis, Tyson...you won't hear about Rigondeaux or someone like that.

Of course there are exceptions. Floyd mayweather in boxing was a big draw. Daniel Bryan in wrestling was a big draw. But they are the exceptions. The rule is that big guys sell. Hogan sold, Nash sold, Sting sold, Austin sold, Rock sold. All, in part, because they were larger than normal dudes who were stacked.

I find there is a tendency of some wrestling fans online is to pretend like size doesn't matter. That dean malenko should of been "the guy" in wcw and not hulk hogan because he was a better worker.

But, personally, as a wrestling fan I want wrestling to be as big and as popular as it can be. That way the wrestling will be funded better, the wrestlers will get more money, and everyone will be happier. There is no question that big guys need to be pushed to make this the case.

So I would say to some fans that they should try to get behind some of the big guys in the wwe rather than just hating on all of them because they have a vendetta against Vince's "big man" policy. Remember that its in everyones interest that wrestling is a success and popular and that being popular will, in part, depend on pushing big guys. Because big guys sell. Always have and always will.
Very very well thought of. Congratulations.

·
Registered
212 Posts
what about Rey Mysterio? i liked him..much more than Kane for example.

daniel bryan,shawn michaels..they're not giants...(don't talk about aj lee for the girls)

·
Illegitimate child of Robert 'Glorious' Roode
867 Posts

Ryback is that you? ^^

·
Banned
337 Posts
The biggest draws in Boxing of the last 16 years have been small guys. Size doesn't really matter anymore because its not the 1920's, everyone is used to seeing bodybuilders everywhere they go and steroids are no longer a secret, so its not like its this shocking thing that everyone is flocking to see. The last time I was genuinely impressed by size was when I saw Chyna, and that was because she was a woman. When Nicole bass came to WWE, it was like "alright we've seen this before", she had no drawing power because it became old hat.

Boxing Major draws:

De La Hoya
Ricky Hatton
Mayweather
Pacquiao
Cotto
Froch
Canelo

UFC major draws:

GSP
Conor Mcgregor
BJ Penn
Ronda Rousey
Brock Lesnar (big personality, celebrity and great look, not just size)

People have no problem with big guys getting a push if they actually bring something to the table like a big personality or great wrestling ability. When Brian Cage eventually comes to the WWE you won't see anyone bashing him because he's actually got talent.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
The bias against big guys stems from the ammount of pushes and seven figure contracts given to guys that were desperately mediocre.

Vince turned them into the privileged Bullingdon Club of wrestling. As a result the fans judge and scrutinise them a bit harder.

I know there's a fantasy among some that this "big, believable, larger than life" bullshit will somehow magically give wrestling its street cred and 8.5 rating back. It wont. A decade of hot crowds might.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bias against big guys stems from the ammount of pushes and seven figure contracts given to guys that were desperately mediocre.

Vince turned them into the privileged Bullingdon Club of wrestling. As a result the fans judge and scrutinise them a bit harder.

I know there's a fantasy among some that this "big, believable, larger than life" bullshit will somehow magically give wrestling its street cred and 8.5 rating back. It wont. A decade of hot crowds might.
I don't think this is true. i think it is due to people hating big guys because they are not relatable to nerdy types. There is a huge overlap with smarks and things like comic con, game of thrones, magic the gathering and video games. These people cannot relate to big tough badasses. That is why they hate them imo

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Size is irrelevant.

What people really gravitate to is winners. Out of all the winners people gravitate to the charismatic... Even if they're not always a winner people will still gravitate to the charismatic. People want to be liked, standout and to win in everything they try in life. The people will swarm to anyone who is successful in these criteria. being big might help you stand out, but if you can't back it up with wins or a personality you are jack shit to the masses.

The thing about wrestling, it is fictional and everyone knows this. so that makes being a winner irrelevant.. So to have fan support in WWE you need to stand out and back it up with charisma, if not you're just a Neville or a Ryback.

·
Banned
4,268 Posts

This is not accurate in anyway when talking of combat sports, because first of all, WWE and all other forms of wrestling are neither combat, nor a sport. Simulated combat maybe.

In terms of boxing, it is now the norm for the sports biggest stars to be from the lower divisions and has been so for 20 years, Oscar, Julio Cesar Chavez, Naseem Hamed, Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather and now Canelo Alvarez. Now the exception the rule is the big guys, with Tyson and possibly Lewis being the last out and out, bonafide, big man superstars. You could possibly talk about Fury and Joshua nowadays but they have a long way to go.

In UFC, their current biggest star is McGregor, before that names like GSP and Silva were far more popular and well known than Vazquez.

So, big men selling is no longer the rule, it is the exception.

Having said that, big men could still sell well in WWE because it's so different from an actual sport.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
I don't think this is true. i think it is due to people hating big guys because they are not relatable to nerdy types. There is a huge overlap with smarks and things like comic con, game of thrones, magic the gathering and video games. These people cannot relate to big tough badasses. That is why they hate them imo
Yeah, I'm well aware of the silly nerd stereotypes people make to sidestep justified criticism

:maisie3

Oh no. I used a maisie williams gif. I must be a be nerd. So all my arguments come my deep seated feeling of inadequacy rather than intellect.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I'm well aware of the silly nerd stereotypes people make to sidestep justified criticism

:maisie3

Oh no. I used a maisie williams gif. I must be a be nerd. So all my arguments come my deep seated feeling of inadequacy rather than intellect.
Nothing wrong with being a nerd. Everyone should be themselves. But I think nerds are less likely to like big guys and it is hurting the wrestling business.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Conor McGregor is the 145 champ and is the biggest name in MMA. Second is Ronda Rousey whos a 135 lb woman.

Boxings biggest stars in the last 10 years have all been under 175 lbs.

Muhammad Ali was 236 and he is a small heavyweight in pro wrestling. Mike Tyson was 240. In pro wreslting Stone Cold was 252 and he wasn't very big for his era. If you're talking strictly size then you must acknowledge the big guys who got to run in relatively recent history Taker and Nash, they didn't draw well for being big guys. In fact, the smaller dudes drew more than they did in Austin and Rock, although the Rock was bigger.

Reactions: PirateMonkE

·
Baby Yoda
29,744 Posts
Some of the biggest draws in the world of sport today have have been the smaller guys e.g. Messi, Steph Curry, Mayweather (retired), Pacman and McGregor.

In fact, most of those guys are bigger draws than most of the guys you've mentioned.

So I have no clue what you're talking about.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts