Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a guy who's always critical of the wwe, and always someone who seeks improvement, now although 2011 has had its bad moments it's had its fair share of good. Just a few main points thus far

- Rocks return
- Christian winning the title
- CM Punks legendary promo, and rise to the next level
- HHH coming in as COO
- Orton/Christian epic series of matches, 7 if I'm correct
- Mark Henrys rise to the top
- R-Truth turning from jobber to a credible mid carder and occasional main eventer
- The rise of Zack Ryder (only for us Ryder marks, haters gonna hate)
- Miz/Truth/Christian promo, one of my favourite of the last 5 years

And were not even done yet, we still have survivor series to look forward to, and some other twists in the main storyline. Although both shows are somewhat weak in areas, and the full 2 hour shows aren't good for the whole 2 hours with plenty of bad points, its still been a decent year. What do you guys think of 2011 so far, what's to come, and how it will be remembered?

·
Banned
12,539 Posts
Not to mention Money In The Bank, The Undertaker/HHH match up, some great matches through out the year with Edge/Ziggler, Cena/Punk, Cena/Ziggler, Orton/Punk, Orton/Christian etc.

I think in 10 years time, we'll look back and say this was a great era in WWE's history, like when Attitude Era was around, people were forever slating it.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Most definitely. It also had a SHITLOAD of awesome matches. If you look back, every PPV has had at least something great.

·
Registered
457 Posts
unlike most of the pessimists on the board i consider this my favorite wwe year since 2006. for the first time in a long time during every raw i had my ass on the edge of the seat. my disbelief was suspended. plus the rock returning literally brought a tear to my eye. the defining promo of the year was however cm punk and mcmahon contract negotiation. hopefully more moments to come

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I don't think it's fair to rate the whole Punk and Triple H thing yet, the storyline keeps getting more confusing and if they screw it up, Punk's promo will end up being useless.

·
Asuka
96,244 Posts
Honestly, I would hope in 5-10 years, nobody is even THINKING about 2011. I want the product THEN to be good, but I don't know if I see that happening. I mean, in 10 years, Sheamus is gonna be a fucking 95 time world champion. That's god damn scary to think about.

I do agree, though. Even with Wade Barrett's embarassing burial, this is still the best year WWE programming has had in a LONG time. There have been a lot of positive things happen, amongst the boneheaded ones. Don't forget Miz beating Cena at WrestleMania amongst those moments.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I agree, this has been a fantastic year which isn't something that I've said for quite some time. I'm not someone who thinks the other years recently were terrible but they just didn't have as many moments. Lets not forget the Chamber matches that were awesome, the return of the tag division, Cody bringing the old IC belt back and honestly what just happened on Raw with the walkout was new and interesting. I am curious to see where this goes.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
I'm- Rocks return
- Christian winning the title
- CM Punks legendary promo, and rise to the next level
- HHH coming in as COO
- Orton/Christian epic series of matches, 7 if I'm correct
- Mark Henrys rise to the top
- R-Truth turning from jobber to a credible mid carder and occasional main eventer
- The rise of Zack Ryder (only for us Ryder marks, haters gonna hate)
- Miz/Truth/Christian promo, one of my favourite of the last 5 years
spot on

i hope that 2011 is like what 1997 was to WWF at the time , not the boom year , but the year that set the paste for the boom ..

btw you how could you forget the most important moment in 2011 ?

it's the return of the most electrifying man in sports entertainment , the great one , the people's champ , the one and only …

GRANDMASTER SEXAY !! 8*D

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
It was only around RR this year that I started watching again for the first time since mid-late 2006, and apart from the post-Extreme Rules month or 2 where they didn't seem too sure where to go (which still had quite a few positives) it's been a great year. Guys like Punk, Ryder, Ziggler, Sheamus, R-Truth, Miz and even Christian have improved loads, got themselves over and really taken it to the next level while still leaving the feeling they've got plenty more to offer.
I don't like to overhype, and it's very possible I'll be let down, but it certainly feels like the 'E is freshening up for a new era. It isn't perfect but it's pretty good.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
Absolutely it's been the best year for a while it seems like.

Even though I wasn't overly impressed with their biggest ppv's (Rumble and WM) some of the more minor ones like Extreme Rules, EC and ofcourse MITB have been awesome as well as career best performances from Punk, Orton, Christian, Cena, Miz and Truth to name a few. Plus the rise of Ratings Henry is a big plus.

Plus I have been really impressed with how the WWE is using social media like twitter and FB to further stories and personalities.

Plus the return of The Rock was pretty much the greatest thing of all time.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Awesome year. Definitely feels like a 96-97 kind of year, where it seems everything is a little different from what we're used to. You can clearly tell that the WWE realized it needed to change a little, and they've made a lot of great strides. I'm really excited to see where they go from here.

·
Old School
4,783 Posts
Great matches, great returns, many surprises, hot storylines, big changes, the rise of younger stars, and of course Punk's push.

2011 has been a great year in retrospect. It's absolutely had it's kinks, but people tend to take the good from the bad when looking back on thins which is why most remember the Attitude Era for the great things and not for the shitty things such as the clusterfuck endings to most of the matches.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Better than 2009-2010, which is not saying much, other than that? no.
but this year has one of my favorite moments in wrestling history so i will always remember this "fondly".

·
Registered
249 Posts
2011 might be better than 2010, not sure if it's even better than 2009. The first half of 09 was as good as this or better. So yeah it's nothing special.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts