Wrestling Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Depend on their TV deals and make the most of their money off them? Last I remember, Pop wasn't paying them a dime?
No it does not.
It depends on what your main income is. And if it's TV, then you can't be indy, cause you depend on these deals.

POP is not the only TV deal they have/had.

Indy promotions make most of their money out of ticket sales, merch, and perhaps even DVD sales.
IMPACT is mainly a TV show produced for Anthems Fight Network, and a few other TV stations (especially in India). Their focus is on producing a show for television.
So I don't know how anyone can see them as independent wrestling.

·
Registered
860 Posts
No it does not.
It depends on what your main income is. And if it's TV, then you can't be indy, cause you depend on these deals.

POP is not the only TV deal they have/had.

Indy promotions make most of their money out of ticket sales, merch, and perhaps even DVD sales.
IMPACT is mainly a TV show produced for Anthems Fight Network, and a few other TV stations (especially in India). Their focus is on producing a show for television.
So I don't know how anyone can see them as independent wrestling.
"No it does not" What is that even in reply to lmao wtf. I literally quoted you saying how they depend on their TV deals and how they make most of their money off it, and you open by contradicting yourself by saying no it does not, and then contradict yourself entirely again by your entire reply saying thats what they depend on?

That's not how it works. You're suggesting Lucha Underground and Wrestling Society X weren't indys, which is entirely wrong.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Lucha Underground certainly wasn't indy. It was a TV show produced by AAA and United Artists Media Group for the El Rey Network.
Wrestling Society X was a TV show produced by Big Vision Entertainment for MTV.

Definitely not indy.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Lucha Underground certainly wasn't indy. It was a TV show produced by AAA and United Artists Media Group for the El Rey Network.
Wrestling Society X was a TV show produced by Big Vision Entertainment for MTV.

Definitely not indy.
:currylol:currylol:currylol:currylol:currylol

Imagine claiming LU and WSX as not indy. Congrats on losing all credibility and the argument.

·
JANUARY 5TH
4,100 Posts
:currylol:currylol:currylol:currylol:currylol

Imagine claiming LU and WSX as not indy. Congrats on losing all credibility and the argument.
independent
/ɪndɪˈpɛnd(ə)nt/
adjective
free from outside control; not subject to another's authority.

Indy was what the person in your sig has done in the last several summers.

·
Lets go to the old mill anyway, get some cider!
15,626 Posts
LU while they did some Indy type stuff is definitely not an Indy. They were financially backed by a TV network, the total opposite of an independent.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My only complaint with this show was the venue. I believe too there were around 1000 people (the crowd looked small but the venue goes quite deep and is all at floor level so people where hidden far back, you could see this especially on RVD match).

It's just not a nice looking venue, their Rebellion was great, it looked fantastic for a big event - this - it looked like a TV show. It was a shame to see that.

The event though was fun. I didn't understand the first match but the high spots were entertaining and got the crowd into it.

Eddie.. I didn't like him, then I decided to give him a chance, but sorry I don't like him. He's character is tooo fake for me. Kross is great though and kept the match going anyway.

They should tour Canada more or go back to the UK for a big event, they run big sized places in the UK.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
The usual stuff from Impact, where weekly the product is pretty dire, but the PPVs always come through and seem to remove most of their flaws and just deliver everything straight-forward. I've said I wish they would be consistent for a change week by week, but this is a fair enough trade as the PPVs are what should matter more/feel special in the long run, and they do.

- Opener four way was garbage, just like last year.

- Tag Championship three way sucked, too. The entire situation with LAX was handled poorly, Rascalz tried their best to make something out of things though. Even if this had nothing resembling a tag team match, and that stuff needs to stop in wrestling today. Not sure why someone got worked by Santana's injury, but ok. It was clear what they're doing.

- Eddie vs Kross was great, even with the cop-out finish. That's too bad, but Kross leaving isn't gonna blade for a company he felt underpaid by, but at least he went out on a high note with Eddie in a top brawl. First Blood matches are often worked terribly, so glad these guys worked around the usual limitations & errors. Brawler Eddie Edwards continues to be awesome and so good for him.

- Moose vs RVD was better than expected, thanks to Moose carrying the weight to make it so. And thankfully he did go over. This was fine enough, did what it should.

- Loved the Monster's Ball. It was what I did want to see the most - or tied with Callihan vs Tessa - and it completely delivered. Good to see Rosemary back to her usual form, seems like she's finally past the post-injury . Everything about this clicked, just a bunch of fun and felt fresh as a whole. Havok's super tombstone finish is insane. Taya's escape from the violence, despite doing well the entire match, was the proper way to finish it.

- Swann vs Impact was so not even about any "athleticism" to me. But rather all about Impact & Bravo's great heel shenanigans to put heat on the match and only will the babyface in Swann further. Plus, Impact's strike game is legit, seeing him brutalize Swann with knees and kicks throughout, until the receipt was given back for the finish; awesome match.

- Cage vs Elgin was pretty much the total hybrid hoss fight bombfest workrate extravaganza one could/would/should expect from those two. Cage doesn't have "GMSI" on his tights for no reason. Glad he's healed up and ready to start his reign in full. Finish made sense seeing how they may continue this for a bit more. Good stuff. This should have main evented though. Their World Championship getting knocked out of the spot two PPVs in a row, that's never good. Impact be better, let this championship be the focus again.

- Callihan vs Tessa went exactly as I pictured it, minus Callihan actually winning. Tessa was demolished from start to finish, because Sami doesn't give a damn who you are, he's gonna punish an opponent the whole way. Both were excellent in this, an excellent match. Admitting so, liked it more than Cage vs Elgin, but I stand by my point about the World Championship to close regularly, per specific exception. While a top match, not sure if this was exactly that. Even if it was so good to see Callihan close out a PPV on top. (and not do that horrid thing where they have the loser of the match take all the shine post-match, that's unbearable) He's still the best in the entire promotion. He has to be spring-boarded for the World Championship come Bound for Glory. It's time for him to get there.

Other than the first two matches being bad + Josh Matthews being the worst; everything else was good stuff. Impact's best PPV of the year, now.

Reactions: TheDraw

·
Registered
24,417 Posts
Full Show Review:

*The opening 4 way was your typical spot fest match to get the crowd excited. And it worked. TJP is underrated in the sense that I don't think people realize how good he is. And Willie Mack is a superstar. I hope he rises up card sooner or later. And he got the win, so that's great.

*The 3 Way Tag was a nice follow up. Ethan Page shows a side of himself in Impact that I never saw anywhere else. He really uses his power and size in comparison to the smaller guys he faces. And Josh Alexander is a beast. Another fun spot fest match but it kind of dies when Santana got "hurt."

*Edwards and Kross had a fun weapons match. The finish was different for a first blood match too with Eddie breaking his kendo stick and jamming the sharp edges into Kross's mouth.

*Honestly the performance that RVD gave here is probably the best you can expect from him. My main complaint with him is even his prime, his matches felt overly choreographed. And now it's just painfully so. All in all though, decent match and the right guy won.

*The women put on one of the better Monster's Balls I've seen in a long time. Rosemar took some sick bumps. She, along with Su Yung to be fair, got Superplexed onto a ladder. She get slammed through a table from the apron. I thought Taya had tremendous presence. And going back to Su Yung, that Tombstone from the 2nd Rope that Havok delivered to her was a great way to end the match with Taya stealing the win.

*Swann and Impact had predictably another fun match and a win that means a lot for Swann. He is one of the most fun guys to watch in wrestling. Commentary though felt like they were going overboard with the hype afterwards. "It's a classic! It's 5 stars! No, 7 stars!" I mean God, dial it down a bit.

*Cage and Elgin had the best match I thought they could. Because a lot of the time Cage would slow his matches way down to a very plodding pace. But these guys kept the pace going really fast and they just threw bombs at each other the whole time.

*There are no 2 people who could have pulled this intergender match Callihan and Tessa. Callihan is despise and so easily hateable that you really hate him for beating up Tessa the way he is. But when he's taking a beating, it works just as well. And the same with Tessa, her selling was amazing. Every move she took and delivered felt like it it was a struggle. Just a fun match that I had no idea what to expect from going into it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Overall, it was a very good and entertaining show. I thought the venue was terrible and it came off more as an Impact taping.
With regards to the finish of the main event I'm pleased that Callihan went over. Wrestling gets dull when it's too easy to call, and absolutely nobody predicted that Tessa was losing this one. I also think this loss makes Blanchard looks strong and will get the fans to root for her as a face - smart booking.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Entertaining show throughout, at least for me. Kept me into the whole PPV without becoming bored which almost 3 hour shows always seem to make me. Good job Impact.

·
The face that runs the List
10,738 Posts
I watched the main event out of curiosity. While the match itself was pleasant to watch, it's really sad to see how cheap this company looks now. I loved it 10 years ago but now it just looks like a discount ROH with half a decent roster

·
Registered
236 Posts
I watched the main event out of curiosity. While the match itself was pleasant to watch, it's really sad to see how cheap this company looks now. I loved it 10 years ago but now it just looks like a discount ROH with half a decent roster
Impact roster is better than ROH's

Inviato dal mio WAS-LX1A utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've always maintained that Impact Wrestling had a lot of talent and great story lines. It's really too bad that they aren't more successful; they surely deserve sustained attention. Guys like Rich Swann, Johnny Impact, Killer Kross, Sami Callihan, Eddie Edwards, and LAX are all top notch dudes.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts