Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I watched parts of the show this week after seeing AEW and I was struck by how poorly lit the Mexico City location was. It looks like Impact had a full crowd and one quite larger than normal, yet Anthem was content to make it seem that the show was emanating from either an empty arena or a cavern.

Moreover, their flashback segment illustrated just how far the company has fallen in terms of presentation. There we saw an Impact Zone that was close to the same size as the Mexico crowd, but everything was well lit. Signage looked good, and there were nice overhead camera shots. Even though it took place ten years ago, the segment looked far more polished than anything else on the episode from Mexico City and was closer in look to AEW.

Curious if you have noticed the same.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For those of you who haven't seen it, here's a comparison of the show from last Monday versus Impact from 2010-2011. Again, crowd size is similar, but you would think that the show from a decade ago was more recent given its production values and look.

Impact from Mexico City

Impact Wrestling Highlights (2010)
These were likely not the same as from the 1/21 show, but representative of the difference in look

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
Impact has fallen from grace. Not sure why they are so hell bent on putting the show on tv when it comes across so indy. Nobody wants to watch such poorly presented wrestling shows. WWE have set the bar on what a tv wrestling show should look and feel like, and I'm afraid Impact comes nowhere near it. AEW on the other hand come across with that big time feel. Anthem and any other shareholders must look at AEW with envy knowing that they were on the verge of being what they are now with that deal with TNT.

·
Registered
261 Posts
For those of you who haven't seen it, here's a comparison of the show from last Monday versus Impact from 2010-2011. Again, crowd size is similar, but you would think that the show from a decade ago was more recent given its production values and look.

Impact from Mexico City

View attachment 82310

View attachment 82311

Impact Wrestling Highlights (2010)
These were likely not the same as from the 1/21 show, but representative of the difference in look

View attachment 82315

View attachment 82314
These pictures are not from Mexico. It's from Windsor, and I thought it looked decent.
Rich Swann isn't even wrestling in Mexico, he is currently injured.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These pictures are not from Mexico. It's from Windsor, and I thought it looked decent.
Rich Swann isn't even wrestling in Mexico, he is currently injured.
Grrr. They were supposed to be from Mexico. Let me try again.

Impact Wrestling from Mexico City (2020):

Impact Wrestling 2012:

Again, crowds are roughly the same size.

Impact Wrestling 2012:

Impact Wrestling 2012:

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
I thought the set they used the past year was great and felt more unque and fitting. The new set is so generic and looks like most indy stages beside the added hanging mini screens.

Thought it was a strange choice and i find it also indy to have like 3 different logos for your show. The ring banner logo looks cheap and is different from the logo on the screen and logo on the belts. This company will never get its branding figured out.

Loved them since 2002 but all these years later its still the same odd problems

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The audio is an issue as well. I remember their Mania weekend show last year being a total disaster when it came to audio all night long.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Impacts had a good show for at least a year and a half, and unlike other promotions makes good use of the talent they have, but like you say, the appearance of it is terrible. The tiny arenas and tiny crowds they have most weeks are hard to hide, but they could at least try with other aspects of the presentation. The could get signs over the barricades and professional looking matts round the ring instead of high school gym mats. When they do have a decent crowd they could light it better to emphasise it. The backstage segments look like they're taped on a 12mp camera from 2010. Up your game a little bit lads.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The audio is an issue as well. I remember their Mania weekend show last year being a total disaster when it came to audio all night long.
Those shows are not being produced by IMPACT. They usually partner with some indy promotions for their IMPACT+ specials.

Grrr. They were supposed to be from Mexico. Let me try again.

View attachment 82434

Impact Wrestling 2012:

View attachment 82435

Again, crowds are roughly the same size.

View attachment 82436

Impact Wrestling 2012:
View attachment 82437

View attachment 82438

Impact Wrestling 2012:
View attachment 82439
the main difference between the Mexico venue and the Impact Zone is, that the Mexico venue is much bigger. It holds around 3000 people while the Impact Zone held 1100.
They still draw around 1k in Mexico. If the lights were as bright as the Impact Zone it would show all the empty seats.

I would have agreed with you, if you referred to the BfG crowd. This event was PACKED and sold out. But it was so dark.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Impacts had a good show for at least a year and a half, and unlike other promotions makes good use of the talent they have, but like you say, the appearance of it is terrible. The tiny arenas and tiny crowds they have most weeks are hard to hide, but they could at least try with other aspects of the presentation. The could get signs over the barricades and professional looking matts round the ring instead of high school gym mats. When they do have a decent crowd they could light it better to emphasise it. The backstage segments look like they're taped on a 12mp camera from 2010. Up your game a little bit lads.
Totally agreed. For a great example of what to do with a tiny arena, look no further than 1993 and the original Monday Night RAW broadcasts. It was a tiny location with just 500 people, but it was well lit and had a slick look to it. You can have a small location and make it look great with a bit of time, effort, and forethought. Conversely, they could also go in the other direction and really emphasize the alternative, small locations. Do a show for instance in a cavern (like the Eurobasketball tournament in the last decade), lit with torches. Or like the first Nitro, have it in a place like The Mall of the Americas with a crowd of casuals gathered around and looking on.

These look different, and creative versus minor league.

Below, this looks minor league. Impact and ROH should be striving to set themselves up as a totally different alternative product, not just a small scale, high school version of WWE.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I watched parts of the show this week after seeing AEW and I was struck by how poorly lit the Mexico City location was. It looks like Impact had a full crowd and one quite larger than normal, yet Anthem was content to make it seem that the show was emanating from either an empty arena or a cavern.

Moreover, their flashback segment illustrated just how far the company has fallen in terms of presentation. There we saw an Impact Zone that was close to the same size as the Mexico crowd, but everything was well lit. Signage looked good, and there were nice overhead camera shots. Even though it took place ten years ago, the segment looked far more polished than anything else on the episode from Mexico City and was closer in look to AEW.

Curious if you have noticed the same.
The shows lighting are dark because Impact wants the focus to be on the ring and performers not the crowd.

Impact Wrestling's average attendance is up signicantly since 2018. Impact Wrestling average attendamce is 2,000-3,000. These Mexico tapings last month drew 2,000-2,500 and they drew 3,000 for Hard To Kill at the Bomb Factory which seats 4,300 and they also sold 3,000 tickets for BFG last year at the Odeum which seats 6,000. So Impact's attendance numbers isn't a problem at all its just that people on the internet just doesn't know what they're talking about.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Impact has fallen from grace. Not sure why they are so hell bent on putting the show on tv when it comes across so indy. Nobody wants to watch such poorly presented wrestling shows. WWE have set the bar on what a tv wrestling show should look and feel like, and I'm afraid Impact comes nowhere near it. AEW on the other hand come across with that big time feel. Anthem and any other shareholders must look at AEW with envy knowing that they were on the verge of being what they are now with that deal with TNT.
Why should Anthem envy AEW and what they have when they barely outdraw Impact in attendance? Impact has the lights darkened because they don't want the focus on the crowds they want it on the performers in the ring. And Impact's attendance numbers are up and they're drawing their best crowds since 2013.

Impact Wrestling's average attendance 2,000-3,000.

AEW's average attendance 3,500-4,500 (with anomalies for their ppvs where they get 5,000-6,000). So Impact aren't doing bad numbers considering they're catching up to AEW in attendance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Totally agreed. For a great example of what to do with a tiny arena, look no further than 1993 and the original Monday Night RAW broadcasts. It was a tiny location with just 500 people, but it was well lit and had a slick look to it. You can have a small location and make it look great with a bit of time, effort, and forethought. Conversely, they could also go in the other direction and really emphasize the alternative, small locations. Do a show for instance in a cavern (like the Eurobasketball tournament in the last decade), lit with torches. Or like the first Nitro, have it in a place like The Mall of the Americas with a crowd of casuals gathered around and looking on.

View attachment 82515

View attachment 82516

These look different, and creative versus minor league.

Below, this looks minor league. Impact and ROH should be striving to set themselves up as a totally different alternative product, not just a small scale, high school version of WWE.

View attachment 82517

View attachment 82518
They drew 2,000-2,200 for these Mexico tapings and theres pictures from people who went on twitter showing they sold out these tapings with over 2,000 people in the arena. Again the lighting is darkened because they want the focus on the performers not the crowd.

Impact Wrestling attendance is 2,000-3,000. So their crowds aren't small its just that they're going with the old school approach where you want the focus to be in the ring and not the crowd like how the NWA and AWA ect did back in the 70s and 80s.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Why should Anthem envy AEW and what they have when they barely outdraw Impact in attendance? Impact has the lights darkened because they don't want the focus on the crowds they want it on the performers in the ring. And Impact's attendance numbers are up and they're drawing their best crowds since 2013.

Impact Wrestling's average attendance 2,000-3,000.

AEW's average attendance 3,500-4,500 (with anomalies for their ppvs where they get 5,000-6,000). So Impact aren't doing bad numbers considering they're catching up to AEW in attendance.
Gonna need to see the receipts on those Impact attendance numbers, man.

I would be absolutely shocked if Impact's average attendance in 2019 was over 800 (even if it's 800, that's really good considering where they were a few years ago).

**the 16,000+ from MSG is counted for both the ROH and NJPW totals and averages. If you didn't count that show for either promotion, NJPW averaged 1,491 and ROH averaged 706.

I just don't see any way Impact drew twice per show what ROH, NJPW, and MLW drew in 2019.

Source:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sire

I would be absolutely shocked if Impact's average attendance in 2019 was over 800 (even if it's 800, that's really good considering where they were a few years ago).

**the 16,000+ from MSG is counted for both the ROH and NJPW totals and averages. If you didn't count that show for either promotion, NJPW averaged 1,491 and ROH averaged 706.

I just don't see any way Impact drew twice per show what ROH, NJPW, and MLW drew in 2019.

Source:
Iceman said Impact sold 3,000 tickets for BFG last year in an interview on the busted open radio show last year. And keep in mind they were at the Odeum which seats 6,000. They sold 3,000 for Hard To Kill last month and they sold 2,000-2,200 tickets for Mexico last month

These are all the links that proves Impact are averaging 2,000-3,000 people in attendance.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Source:
Also heres another link to further confirm that they're outdrawing MLW, ROH, and NJPW.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/adnqu7
So they're average attendance is 2,000-3,000 which is higher than NJPWUSA, MLW, AND ROH.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
So you don't have any actual proof.

What you have is a few estimates from a few random sources from a few of their shows.

The source I listed has every single show from the other promotions listed with actual attendance numbers posted.

Impact ran several shows at venues that don't hold anywhere close to 1,000 people in 2019.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Also heres another link to further confirm that they're outdrawing MLW, ROH, and NJPW.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/adnqu7
So they're average attendance is 2,000-3,000 which is higher than NJPWUSA, MLW, AND ROH.
I just showed you pictures of them drawing 2,000-3,000 people to their tapings and ppvs. Pictures are a more reliable source than an article.
So you don't have any actual proof.

What you have is a few estimates from a few random sources from a few of their shows.

The source I listed has every single show from the other promotions listed with actual attendance numbers posted.

Impact ran several shows at venues that don't hold anywhere close to 1,000 people in 2019.
Pictures says more than what an article. These pictures proves that they're averaging 2,000-3,000 people in attendance at their shows. Pictures are worth a thousand words and if you want to disregard the evidence because you're bitter for some reason then thats on you, but I proved my point that they're averaging 2,000-3,000 per show.

The smallest venue they used last year was Melrose Ballroom and they easily drew 1,200 people there.

Except these aren't guesses and estimates they were confirmed that the numbers that I presented to you were correct that they're averaging 2,000-3,000 per show.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I just showed you pictures of them drawing 2,000-3,000 people to their tapings and ppvs. Pictures are a more reliable source than an article.

Pictures says more than what an article. These pictures proves that they're averaging 2,000-3,000 people in attendance at their shows. Pictures are worth a thousand words and if you want to disregard the evidence because you're bitter for some reason then thats on you, but I proved my point that they're averaging 2,000-3,000 per show.

The smallest venue they used last year was Melrose Ballroom and they easily drew 1,200 people there.

Except these aren't guesses and estimates they were confirmed that the numbers that I presented to you were correct that they're averaging 2,000-3,000 per show.
Again, what you have are a few shows out of many. You cherry picked what were likely the highest attended shows of the year and then tried to represent that as the yearly average.

And no way they fit 1,200 people into Melrose Balroom. MLW reported 3 sellouts at the venue with attendances of 900-1,000 in the venue, and most people figured that number was inflated because the venue just isn't that big with a full ring and ramp setup.

That's why Impact is moving to Terminal 5 for their next NY show, and Terminal 5 only fits 1,000 people if you use a ridiculous setup that ends up with many obstructed view seats, as ROH found out for BITW 2015.

There's no reason Impact would move to Terminal 5 if they were selling out a venue that held more seats than Terminal 5. That's just basic logic, man.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Again, what you have are a few shows out of many. You cherry picked what were likely the highest attended shows of the year and then tried to represent that as the yearly average.

And no way they fit 1,200 people into Melrose Balroom. MLW reported 3 sellouts at the venue with attendances of 900-1,000 in the venue, and most people figured that number was inflated because the venue just isn't that big with a full ring and ramp setup.

That's why Impact is moving to Terminal 5 for their next NY show, and Terminal 5 only fits 1,000 people if you use a ridiculous setup that ends up with many obstructed view seats, as ROH found out for BITW 2015.

There's no reason Impact would move to Terminal 5 if they were selling out a venue that held more seats than Terminal 5. That's just basic logic, man.
No I was showing you the proof that they are drawing 2,000-3,000 average for their shows because you asked me to show you proof and I did. You just disregard it because its not in an article when a picture proves way more than what an article says. And again a picture is worth a thousand words meaning that pictures is a more reliable source than a article. And pictures are better evidence to prove the person's point than a pointless article.

Melrose Ballroom was crowded because they added more chairs thats why they used a smaller ring so those extra chairs can fit in their. Thats how its 1,200 instead of 1,000.

Terminal 5 holds 3,600 seats if Im right so Impact will likely setup for 3,000 and if its a crappy arena then they won't run again next time.

Also Impact going to Terminal 5 in NYC proves that they're averaging 2,000-3,000 because that arena seats I think 3,600 or something like that. So clearly their drawing in the 2,000-3,000 range as I proved to you earlier in my posts.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts