Wrestling Forum banner

101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Intoner
6,506 Posts
Show was pretty good minus ridicilous amount of botches.

Not sure about RVD heelturn, but I beleive it's the fitst heel run for him since ECW and that's interesting to see unfold.

Rosemary should not wrestle. Just make her GM or someones manager.

Shamrock did look good for his age but I hope we saw the last of him.

I am interested in storylines and how it all going to play out.

My prediction for 1st AXS tapins:

- Taya loses the belt to either Havok, Jordynne or Kylie (if she signed). I'd say 80% chance it will be Havok.
- Something big will happen involvin Tessa, Cage and Sammi. I can see a 3-way at hard to kill.
- Eddie cashing in on Ace is kinda obvious I guess.
- 1 more debut or return to kickstart the AXS era.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
A decent show with some good matches. But some REALLY questionable booking choices.

If they want Tessa to be one of their biggest stars, then she needs to get to WIN big matches at some point. She lost twice to Sami, including a #1 contender's match. And now she failed to make history at BFG with the X-Division title. At some point, as over as she is, if you don't pull the trigger on her people are going to start wondering if it's worth getting invested with her because it never pays off. If not at their biggest show, then where?

Taya winning was meh, although the match was quite good. Her reign feels like it's run it's course and needs to end soon imp. If not Tenille, then either Jordynne or Rosemary should do it.

I get that Cage kind of had his title reign undercut because of injury, but Sami is on fire right now and him losing feels meh. Also it undercuts his feud with Tessa as well.

Overall, "stagnancy" seemed to be the name of the game last night.

·
Registered
22,856 Posts
Will write more of a review later but overall a good show, thought not on the same level as some of their recent ones like Slammiversary.

As far as Tessa goes, look I don't mind building her up through losses redeem herself, but I do wonder how long they can prolong this. But, her contract is up next Summer. And she'll get offers from everywhere. And even if you're afraid of her leaving, you have to pull that trigger eventually.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
If Impact is trying to build sympathy towards her with all of these close calls, then it might be backfiring. From what I've been reading, even people who have liked her story so far, are really annoyed with Impact for having her lose AGAIN last night. They'd better be careful or they might squander the best thing that they have going right now.

Last night might have been a turning point, but not in a good way.

·
Registered
9,268 Posts
I really wanted Tenille to defeat Taya for the title & then lead to a Tenille/Tessa feud.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Having Tessa constantly fail against the men and then settle for the KO title wouldn't just make her look bad, but the entire KO division as well.

·
Lets go to the old mill anyway, get some cider!
15,626 Posts
Unless they know shes leaving, which to me is almost a certainty.

Forget about her gender, I am in favor of her winning the title but if shes gone in the Spring and they know it then yeah I wouldn't put the title on her either. Male or female.

·
Mr Big Shot
17 Posts
Good show. Didn’t watch the knockouts or the ladder match. I’m sorry but tessa shouldn’t be in there, it looks so fake I couldn’t bring myself to see it. Glad she didn’t win the x division, it would of been awful. Loved the tag match I am hoping they push Swann and he could become their new version of AJ styles. Michael Elgin is a beast and Brian Cage and Callihan was a fantastic main event great storyline. Overall fun show

·
Registered
9,268 Posts
It was not going to happen because last night was Tenille’s last day working for impact. She is now a free agent again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How long did she sign for? For just a month or something?

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Jordynne should do it at this point I think. She's been kind of spinning her wheels creatively for awhile now and it's time to pull the trigger on a title win for her I think.

After Tessa, she's the best woman they've got I think.

·
Registered
22,856 Posts
Full show Review:

*The opening Gauntlet match was mainly a miss for me, mainly for the Joey Ryan spots and the quick eliminations. I'll just say that I liked seeing Rosemary and Kylie Rae, and Madman Fulton had a good performance. Although it's hilarious seeing them try to still make Shera a thing though.

*Tenille vs. Taya was a solid match. Tenille when she's on can be right below that top tier of women in wrestling like Tessa, and she was close to that here. The Package Piledriver on the apron looked awful though. And honestly the finish was a little too overbooked.

*The 3 Way Tag was a lot of fun. I laughed at Willie knocking out the camera guy in the beginning. And Page and Alexander just have so many unique double teams. And while RVD is far past his prime, he looked pretty good here, as did Rhyno. The RVD heel turn is curious though, as I like him better as a tag guy. Will give it a chance though.

*Elgin vs. Marafuji honestly felt like a Japenese match with how quiet the crowd was at times. Technically and wrestling wise, was probably the best match on the show, but felt pretty heatless at times. And honestly I didn't like all the false finishes at the end. But, a lot of good action as well.

*The Ladder match was really good. I think the addition to Ace Romero added a lot. The bump he took at the end was horrific to watch. I've never seen someone that big take a bump like that. And everyone else did their part as well. It amazes me how natural Tessa looks in there. She's so feisty and athletic she doesn't look out of place.

Though by the end I knew she wasn't winning. She went through all of OVE, no one does that and still wins in wrestling. Ace Austin is really good too and Tessa will still get her time. For their sake, they should hope its not too late.

*Moose vs. Shamrock was about as good as it could have been. Shamrock hit all the moves I remember him hitting like the Belly to Belly, the Hurricanrana, the Ankle Lock. And Moose bumped his ass off for him, and pretty much saved his life with Shamrock went for that dive.

*The main event was a fun hardcore match. The spots with the guardrail were especially brutal, and the rest was a variety of spots you've seen before in hardcore matches. Cage winning is kind of surprising, but understandable.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Unless they know shes leaving, which to me is almost a certainty.

Forget about her gender, I am in favor of her winning the title but if shes gone in the Spring and they know it then yeah I wouldn't put the title on her either. Male or female.
The only promotion that does that is good old ROH. Always putting titles on guys that are leaving or giving them contendership tournament wins when they know the people are on their way out.

I have to agree with you though, if she is good as gone come Spring placing the title on her in say January might not be a good idea. I think they should have had her win the X title last night and at least even win the World title by the end of the year even if she did drop it a few weeks later. I think at least Impact has been building a good storyline with Tessa here.

·
None. More. Hated.
5,272 Posts
I skimmed through some of this.

Didnt watch the opening rumble or whatever, from what I skimmed through it seemed like a lot of dumb indy bullshit.

Tenille vs. Taya was fine. Went too long. And why with the package piledriver? Like, no. Theres no need. Stop.

Caught the tail end of the tag match. Seemed like a cool spotfest.

Elgin vs. Marifuji was good and they won as much of the crowd as they could with the near falls. Not sure this is a match that should be on your Wrestlemania, but okay.

The ladder match got really crazy by the end, but the middle of it was largely uneventful and kind of a lot of nothing. Look. I know using Tessa as a way to get a new heel champion heat may seem smart, and its a very, "pro wrestling" thing to do. But, at the end of the day, its the biggest show of the year, your biggest live crowd in how long? Sometimes its cool to just give the people what they want. They wanted Tessa. Who cares if she leaves? Take it off her later. There were what, no title changes on this card? Cmon. Lame. Match was pretty good, especially the last few spots.

Moose vs. Shamrock sucked and was needlessly overbooked, full of nonsense, and went way too long. A 5 minute sprint with Shamrock getting his stuff in and Moose going over clean would have been fine. I have no clue what they were going for here.

Cage vs. Callahan was obviously MOTN. Exactly what it should have been, but in contrast to a lot of matches on this show, this should have went 5 or so minutes longer. The ending was very out of nowhere and seemed to catch the audience off guard and fell kind of flat. Still really good though, and I suppose I get why you wanna make Cage and Santos the top couple as you move to a new network. Lot sexier than Sami and OVE.

Overall it was pretty good, but I liked last years BFG better.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
I agree. If they think she's leaving, then just take the title off of her before she does. That way the fans at least still get a good payoff for their time and investment in this story.

Also using a performer to get heat isn't bad, BUT they've already done that with Tessa numerous times during all of this. Hell for as bad ad they are a lot of the time, even WWE realized that Becky and Kofi needed to win at WrestleMania given the context. Yet Impact dropped the ball with Tessa at their biggest show.

If she leaves before there's a payoff, then it'll be one of the biggest wasted opportunities in the company's history.

·
Premium Member
43,784 Posts
I watched Bound for Glory last night.

It was okay. Didn't love it, didn't hate it, had some bright spots.

- The Gauntlet was not my cup of tea. Joey Ryan's "Dick Electric Current" spot is the kind of thing that I can see people marking out for, but isn't something I care to see. Sabu looked awful too by the way. The thing just seemed like a randomly put together mess, though I thought Jordynne Grace and Madman Fulton shined. Nice to see Eddie Edwards win it.

- Taya Vs. Tenille was a perfectly solid match. Not much else to say besides that.

- The 3 Way Tag was fun. The North is really growing on me and they are kind of becoming Impact's equivalent to The Revival. I also adore Willie Mack and getting to see him work is usually a delight. RVD looked closer to his younger self than he has in years, and his heel turn made it feel like something of substance actually happened. I'm actually interested in seeing what Rob can do as a heel as he hasn't truly been one since his ECW days (In the Alliance, he was more of a heel by association with the group rather than actually being one himself).

- Elgin Vs. Marifuji was okay, but the crowd didn't seem to care all that much at all. This was designed to be the great "workrate" match of the show, but without that investment, it wasn't going to be as good as they wanted it to be.

- The MOTN was the X Division Ladder Match. Normally the multi-man spotfests don't resonate with me that much, but this one had a few different elements to help it stand out. Actually the inclusion of Tessa (who everybody seemed to want to win the thing) and Acey Romero added a lot, despite neither one of them fitting the X Division mold at all. Of course there are no standards for what makes an X Division competitor and there hardly ever has been, so whatever. Anyways, there were some creative spots in this, Tessa gave you someone to root for, and Acey being a big fat guy falling off of Ladders made for some fun. Personally, I would have given the win to Tessa, but Ace Austin was the next one on the list who would have made a solid winner, so I'll forgive it.

- Shamrock Vs. Moose was better than I expected. They kind of blew the ending there, but overall, Shamrock rose to the occasion, looked in great shape, and did more than people could reasonably expect out of him. Moose continues to be a bit of a dark horse that performs well but doesn't always get the credit for it.

- The Main Event was good hardcore fun, though a bit over the top with Cage kicking out of a piledriver into thumbtacks at one. Again, I would have had Callihan take the gold here too, but all in all, it was a fun main event.

So yeah, BFG was a solid enough show, though probably Impact's weakest PPV effort of the year. Still, its nice to see this company manage to survive and still put on a mildly entertaining show despite everything.

By the way, the next PPV being called "Hard to Kill" is probably the most perfect name for a show run by Impact. This company has lasted longer than WCW and ECW, knocked on death's door more times than I can count, has been cancelled by several TV stations, and yet somehow, someway, they find a way to survive. Its kind of remarkable actually.

·
Registered
876 Posts
How long did she sign for?
She is now a free agent again
No idea, she's currently on Australia tour (she travelled back and forth for BFG), but I think I saw her somewhere on the poster on social media for the November tapings.
Maybe Tenille is, like Jordynne was, still a half-free agent with an unexclusive per-night deal for Impact. I think Tenille is not on the top of her game yet after the surgery, but she's improving match to match, would be cool to see her again.

---
I pretty much agree with the reviews here. I liked the show too with the exception of the gauntlet (Shamrock vs Moose not good either, but it was at least ok as some special attraction and we knew this would not be the highlight).

101 - 120 of 121 Posts