Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know what a great career Taker has had in the WWE. 22 years of been the deadman (a stint of ABA) 20-0 at Mania, titles, story-lines, injuries...he has experienced it all in the WWE.

To loose at Mania know just wouldn't make sense and to carry on the streak could risk it becoming stale...

SS is where it all started for the Undertaker back in 1990 and I think that's where it should end. I think they have enough time to build a worthy opponent. Like the good old fashioned way I think Taker should finish his time as a wrestler on his back looking up at the lights...

People always say it should be done on the grandest stage of all (WM) but it would add more worth to the other PPV's and open up a slot next year for something new at Mania...

Thoughts...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yeah people always say that he should retire at WM, but I have to disagree. It started at SS, it should also end there. Maybe have a new, young family member retire him.

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
Even though he began his career at Survivor Series he shouldn't retire at that PPV, only at Wrestlemania with an oponent big enough to give him a strong retirement match. (the biggest match left for him would be against Cena). Undertaker's legacy is part of Wrestlemania and it wouldn't make sense for it to be at any other event.

That is like saying they should bring back the Wrestling Challenge so Triple H could retire on it, cause he made his first appearance with the WWF back on that show.

·
The Loose Cannon
5,833 Posts
Even though he began his career at Survivor Series he shouldn't retire at that PPV, only at Wrestlemania with an oponent big enough to give him a strong retirement match. (the biggest match left for him would be against Cena). Undertaker's legacy is part of Wrestlemania and it wouldn't make sense for it to be at any other event.

That is like saying they should bring back the Wrestling Challenge so Triple H could retire on it, cause he made his first appearance with the WWF back on that show.
In b4 someone else claims that this is how Cena should turn heel.

Anyway, Taker should lose at Wresltmania, it would be pointless for him not to put over a huge HEEL!!!

·
Registered
274 Posts

You have a very good point here, but I always thought, that retiring at SS would be more emotional, especially if they play on the fact that he first appeared there.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
It would be a good ending, and then HOF at the next WM, but this is in a couple of years. I want the 25-0.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand what your saying, but I would just let him take the streak with him. He will never be remembered as the greatest champion of all time. Despite his long career he also won't be remember as the GOAT (to the masses) so let him have the streak. Build a SS programme properly and call it a day.

I'm not saying my suggestion is the right way to do it. I just think it would be more fitting

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Obviously I don't want Taker to retire for a long time, but if he did at this years Survivor Series I think it should be against Dean Ambrose.

·
Banned
69 Posts
Obviously I don't want Taker to retire for a long time, but if he did at this years Survivor Series I think it should be against Dean Ambrose.
I don't think Taker will ever want to put Malnourished Punk # 3 over as he's still pretty much a nobody. His retirement match should be against a real talent, not another part time electrician from the indies.

·
Banned
4,994 Posts
Until he puts someone over at WM he's not going anywhere.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Absolutely not. Considering the Undertaker is still peforming in MOTY candidates every year and is still a huge asset to Wrestlemania, I don't see why he should retire. I look forward to the Road to Wrestlemania each year just to see the Undertaker. He can still out-perform the majority of the roster in the ring and the storylines he is involved in are by far more interesting, so I dread the day he actually does retire.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Until he puts someone over at WM he's not going anywhere.
Although I agree with this (and want him to put somebody over at Wrestlemania) I know that there is a huge number of wrestling fans who want to see the Undertaker retire with the streak in tact. To be honest, I can see it going either way. On one hand, it makes good business sense to pass that torch onto somebody else. On the other hand, sometimes it's good to just keep the fans happy and let sentimentality win out. As I've said, I want the streak to end - and, Hell yeah, I want a Cena heel turn out of it!

·
Nah, I’m your king now.
4,135 Posts
He should retire...

He's only wrestling once a year and it's not like the streak will ever end. Not after the beatings Triple H put him through the last two years. Hell, his opponent would have to KILL him to pin his shoulders to the mat for three.

Besides, that moment with him, HBK, and Triple H at the end of WM 28 was perfect. He isn't going to get a better send off than that.

·
Banned
4,994 Posts
Although I agree with this (and want him to put somebody over at Wrestlemania) I know that there is a huge number of wrestling fans who want to see the Undertaker retire with the streak in tact. To be honest, I can see it going either way. On one hand, it makes good business sense to pass that torch onto somebody else. On the other hand, sometimes it's good to just keep the fans happy and let sentimentality win out. As I've said, I want the streak to end - and, Hell yeah, I want a Cena heel turn out of it!
Losing at Wrestlemania would be the optimal farewell moment for Taker. He gave everything for over 20 years and the whole Streak he built is astonishing and at the same time putting over an deserving opponent would be the ultimate push and passing of the torch moment. That's the way all great careers should end.

·
Cutting a Shoot Promo To Get Over
5,734 Posts
Besides, that moment with him, HBK, and Triple H at the end of WM 28 was perfect. He isn't going to get a better send off than that.
While he does put on MOTY contenders ever year its a big reason i enjoy Wrestlemania every year i have to agree with this. The "End of an Era" was perfect. 20-0 is such a perfect number.

There is no-one on the roster who could go up against Taker and make me beleive the streak could end anymore.

·
Stopping The Show
1,973 Posts
it should be wm and someone theyre gonna be wanting to put over hugely... maybe rhodes bryan punk.... not cena as i dont think he needs it. and the match should end in both men unable to continue that way his streak doesnt end but the new guy got close than anyone else before to the point you could say he beat him... thats how i would use it.

Or the young guy has him beat but outta respect for him and his streak lays down to him to let him keep his streak alive. so he'll get major love from the fans for not killing takers streak but could have.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
He should stick around as long as he feels he has something to offer. I don't agree with encouraging people to retire. Hell, stay till you are 90 if it draws and helps.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts