Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems after tonight he's doomed to be a JTTS forever. Is there any hope of him having a career after this point?

I can't believe how badly WWE has mishandled one of their best up and coming stars. Sure, in a match like that, Punk shouldn't have won, but why book him in that situation in the first place?

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
He's a credible former world champion, without a program that needs furthering as he has no PPV match, and they needed to put over Taker as having his powers back. It's obvious WHY he was booked that way.

I agree that it's hardly befitting of his talent, but Smackdown simply has a dearth of main event faces.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Boohoo. Sure he deserves much more than he's getting but what else can he do right now? Everybody else is locked up in feuds right now but as soon as they end, he'll be right back in the mix.

·
Registered
288 Posts
As a fan I could never give up on Punk. Everyone goes through a losing spell every now and then. Plus, he lost to Taker (it's no big deal to lose to someone on his level) and the commentators kept mentioning how he's a former 3 time champ. Not like he's in a feud with Hornswoggle, lol. I think he'll be fine.

·
Banned
542 Posts
Punk just needs a good meaningful feud he will be fine.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'd never use a reaction image in this case cause I think they're dumb, but I think that "Its This Thread Again" pic is needed here.

Honestly, the win over Punk was nessecary for Taker. Punk is a top heel, Taker is a top face, the PPV is around the corner and the top face in the main event needs to look strong, thus, the loss. Punk is still a top heel, but the Main event scene for Smackdown is preoccupied with Kane and Taker, once this is done, theres nothing left to do for Punk except a main event push, and I'm sure hes gonna get just that. Hes over as a heel and one of the only heels who draws consistent heat night in and night out. Hes gonna do big things, and his last WHC run proved that he is Main event material.

·
Premium Member
43,690 Posts
I've been calling him Daffy Duck. Professor Fate comes to mind as well. He was the number one heel on Smackdown (now number two) but he ALWAYS loses! He just gets humiliated all the time, no matter what he does. He comes up with great speeches, but WWE seems to be more interested in finding new ways to blow off his duck bill or have his stunts come crashing down on him in quick & easy fashion.

He's a narcissistic loud mouth who gets humiliated ALL THE TIME at just about EVERY SHOW!!! That type of booking does not lend itself to creating credible villains for your storylines. Just saying.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I think Punk is gonna end up being very similar to Chris Jericho. He'll always give you quality matches & promos. And, when they give him a decent opponent to feud with, you'll get some gold! But, there will be huge periods where he's not used nearly as well as he should be.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
1st- Undertaker has been around for almost 20 years doing this schtick. He's over and doesn't need the hyper push.

2nd- This was a squash. It would have been better had Punk given a better account of himself in the match. Squashes only hurt the image of the wrestler squashed, except jobbers.

3rd- If it wasn't for the money, Punk would do better to leave WWE for a while and go independant. When he comes back, he'll be a 'fresh face" again and given better storylines and pushes.

4th- In this business, what choice does he have? Starve in the Indys or be paid to be squashed so the Undertaker can "get over" ....for the 100th time.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Overreacting much? He lost to the fucking "full-powered" Undertaker for crying out loud so the way he lost in squash match made a complete sense because Undertaker is practically "immortal" right now. You doubt he's having a good career after that loss? Lol, the guy is still fairly young, if anything i have no doubt he will be one of the guys who will carry the company once all the veterans hang their boots. Just be patient.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Punk is destined to go where every non-drawing non-steroid heel goes - to midcardom/feeding the top faces day in and day out. As said in his DVD, Y2J was sometimes just "in the right place at the right time", and that's probably why his career went better then most non-drawing heels. The issue isn't Punk's talent - he's full of it. The problem is that Punk's a pretty small guy whose a heel and doesn't really draw, cause he's a heel. Most casual viewers probably couldn't tell you who was who if they watched a Punk vs Christian match, or a Edge/Y2J match. The selling heels are big guys like Batista who put asses in seats, because the audience believes that he can actually win matches, whereas most are like "what the fuck's a straightedge?"

It's sad, but Punk really can't be at the top unless he's a transitional champion because he isn't a 300+ pound heel: and thus doesn't draw.

HBK was different because he utilized backstage politics, which really propolled his career, and congrats to him, cause he's a great wrestler/talker.

Edge was top heel on a B show that had noone else that could take his place.

So really, unless these guys get a physique like Batista or HHH, then don't expect them to win matches. It's how WWE books, yo.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Overreacting much? He lost to the fucking "full-powered" Undertaker for crying out loud so the way he lost in squash match made a complete sense because Undertaker is practically "immortal" right now. You doubt he's having a good career after that loss? Lol, the guy is still fairly young, if anything i have no doubt he will be one of the guys who will carry the company once all the veterans hang their boots. Just be patient.
Wouldn't it have made sense to have Punk win a few weeks ago when Taker was "weak" then?

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Wouldn't it have made sense to have Punk win a few weeks ago when Taker was "weak" then?
I kinda disagree with you on that one, Taker was really 'struggling' in that match and Punk looked quite strong, his win was also similar like typical "roll-up victory" with him applying vicious Hell's Gate out of nowhere on Punk. Taker also needed a momentum going into his NoC match with Kane to keep the viewers guessing whether Taker would be able to beat Kane or not in weakened state, so if he had lost against Punk, their NoC match ending would have been predictable as hell.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
Couldn't they have used some other heel like McIntyre or someone like that? As soon as I saw the match announced early in the show, I knew Punk was going to lose again.

Like other people have said, he's similar to Jericho because he's talented enough to lose a bunch of matches but can still be credible enough to be thrown in a program for a World Title without it seeming unrealistic.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts