Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
Depends on how much I would dislike the new job.

I had a similar dilemma a little over a year ago. In that instance, the money was about a third more than what I was already doing, and it would pretty much have been doing similar work to what I already did. I ended up turning that down because I was (and still am) self employed. There's plenty of of downsides to that, but the freedom it affords was what swung me.

I can say though, if I'd been offered double, I would have taken it. But it wouldn't have been a job I disliked, plus if I'd chosen to leave a year or so down the line I could just pick up where I'd left off, so...

It really comes down to just how much you would dislike the new job, I guess along with your options for escaping if you do take it, but in the end really can't stand it.

·
WF's resident Big Dog
8,098 Posts
I'm kinda in a similar situation, I'm not the biggest fan of my current job but it pays good

So while I'm always looking for something else the money isn't as good, I'm also considering moving cities & the jobs in that area I'm looking at aren't paying as good either

·
From parts unknown
23,274 Posts
Accept the other one. It's double the money. People who turn down those kinds of raises tend to regret them later in life because the fun environment at work is not a constant nor guaranteed to stay that way.

You can have more fun with more money in your personal time, which would compensate for the reduced amount of fun at work.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I have a family, so I would probably take the "double money" job. I stayed at one job 3 years too long just because of the money.

I didn't hate it....I disliked it, but shit I got mouths to feed.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Accept the other one. It's double the money. People who turn down those kinds of raises tend to regret them later in life because the fun environment at work is not a constant nor guaranteed to stay that way.

You can have more fun with more money in your personal time, which would compensate for the reduced amount of fun at work.
What if the double offer gives you less free time? Sure,
You get twice the money but very little spare time. You could give me a million dollar salary, but if I have to work all day, then go home and sleep, repeat same thing next day. I'd be pretty miserable. You're just living to work. And I hate work and my full time job is to avoid it

·
TEAM FLAIR FLOP
951 Posts
When I was younger I worked in an industry that I was not cut out for. It could pay insane amounts of money, but the work was boring and soul destroying. Being scrutinised and nit-picked over every tiny thing the whole time I was working bled into my private life and I spent my time off worrying and thinking about work. I'm now self employed, doing a job that I love. I wouldn't change it.

·
Anti-Hero
9,798 Posts
Recently left a job I really disliked to return to something for less money but which makes me much happier.

·
All out of bubblegum.
5,301 Posts
My current jobs base salary is literally half my earnings at my last job which I didn't hate at the time but only realised after how toxic an environment it had been and how the crazy hours were destroying my life.

This new job is a much better environment and let's me have a normal life and as time goes on my commission is growing continuously so I'll eventually make more anyway (fingers crossed!).

Ultimately, we spend so much of our time at work it's really not worth doing a job you don't like longterm unless you have a family to prioritise.

Reactions: Moho Hwoarang

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Depends on how much I need the money. Atm i'm making 22000 swedish kronors a month which is around 2500 us dollars. My rent is 5000 a month and I spend around 2-3 grand on food and another 2-3 on phone bill,internet,tobacco and fun stuff. So I'm left with over 10000 swedish a month which is alot. I work with all my closest friends and we have so much fun at work I cant wait to go back at sundays. So I'd def turn it down atm

·
ROWDY RODDY PIPER
10,817 Posts
Money is just paper. Sure, you can get lots of shit, do more in life, but, whatever. I have to spend 8+ hours at work a day, I would rather be around fun people that help time fly and enjoy what I am doing than go elsewhere and want to die daily.

·
Stomping Scrawny Vanilla Midgetesses
4,302 Posts
It also depends on how much "double" was. If I was making something pretty good but then double would actually get me closer to a work-free retirement earlier in life at a faster rate, I'd take it and start saving up OR if I was on the other end, dirt poor and I got double to go from a poverty-salary to a livable wage, I'd have to take it. If I was somewhere in the middle though and the measurement goes from living comfortably to living more comfortably, probably not.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Probably not.

Good environment, awesome co-workers etc is everything to me. No amount of money can match up to these important factors.
It also depends on how much "double" was. If I was making something pretty good but then double would actually get me closer to a work-free retirement earlier in life at a faster rate, I'd take it and start saving up OR if I was on the other end, dirt poor and I got double to go from a poverty-salary to a livable wage, I'd have to take it. If I was somewhere in the middle though and the measurement goes from living comfortably to living more comfortably, probably not.
I'm torn between these 2 things.

My current wage is giving me enough to live a normal life and it is with fun people around me but I can just save a little from it with sometimes I can't.

The other job will give me a wage that I can save from and help me alot in the future.

That why I'm really in so much dilemma right now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts