Wrestling Forum banner

Replace Roman out of The Shield?

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Wouldn't replace him because IMO I think they were a perfect fit together. Though if they were giving him the superman booking back then and burying Ambrose and Rollins I would gladly want to replace him.

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
As much as I hate the guy, I wouldn't have replaced him. You've gotta realize the Shield got pushed as much as they did only because Vince was creaming his pants about Reigns.

With any other (and that includes way more talented, of course) guy, they wouldn't have been where they are now, sadly.

·
I'm too busy, faded in Japan with the crew
10,396 Posts
Reigns was appropriate for The Shield. He was over. Don't forget that.

What I would change is Rollins' heel turn. Roman should have been the one to turn and join The Corporation.

·
Registered
18,879 Posts
The Shield was a well-rounded group with 3 unique members. Chris Hero being in would've made it just an "indy" group and someone like Corey Graves does nothing for me.

My only gripe is the immediate aftermath of the breakup. Both Ambrose AND Reigns should've been chasing Rollins together (still as The Shield) until Ambrose left to film his movie and Reigns' injury, then they could stay away from each other for awhile. When both guys came back, then you ditch The Shield and allow Ambrose & Reigns get their own music and gear for themselves.

How WWE handled things after the split served as the beginning of people turning on Roman, as they tried to make him separate from (or bigger than) the Ambrose/Rollins feud instead of putting him in there where he belonged.

·
Premium Member
14,892 Posts
Honestly, nobody.

I question if I could recreate the chemistry those three had. Everybody had a defined role and as basic as those roles may be, it's not always easy for another guy to effectively fill it.

With Hero, I'd much rather have him by himself or back with Cesaro. To me, his personality doesn't seem like it would fit with that of The Shield. Granted, I haven't seen much of what Hero did in developmental, so I could be wrong but outside of it, he never came off as being visually intimidating to me. I'm not talking about his in-ring work, which is on another level, but his presence. I don't know, having a hard time trying to explain what I would mean but no, I wouldn't replace Roman.

·
Registered
8,071 Posts
Roman being in the Shield was never an issue. I dont think there ever was any hate for him during the Shield days. The hate started when WWE ruined this guy with the mega push that he just wasn't ready for.

Shield could have gone on for atleast 6 more months and they should have done a slow implosion of the Shield. Instead they did everything too fast, ruled Dean out, made Seth the whiny chickenshit heel only to launch Roman as the man as soon as they could.

In short, I wouldn't change anything about the Shield. However, I would have definitely not rushed with Reigns and instead built him up slowly and organically from shield to solo, to midcard title feuds to mainevent (much like Ambrose).

·
Registered
178 Posts
They never should have split in the first place, it was the last really great gimmick in wwe. And just imagine those 3 staying together and each having a singles run. Could have been great.

·
Don't get between a wolf & its prey!
14,347 Posts
:nah I wouldn't change any members of The Shield. They worked well as a unit & Reigns played his part in their success.

·
Registered
22,380 Posts
Reigns isn't a legitimate badass either. He'd get destroyed by multiple people on the roster in a shoot. Lesnar goes without saying, but someone like Jack Swagger or Jason Jordan would eat him, too, as would guys like Del Rio, Nakamura, Samoa Joe, Orton, Rusev...even smaller guys with shoot backgrounds like Balor and Itami can't be counted out. Cesaro probably gets the better of him in a shoot as well. Reigns by comparison is a Canadian Football League washout without any shoot background and recurring stamina issues in the ring. He's never looked particularly strong or showcased many power moves except in matches with smaller guys like Styles or Bryan. Even Rollins is probably stronger than Reigns pound-for-pound.

And people like Lesnar in both runs, Batista in his first run, Goldberg, Angle around 2005-2006, Samoa Joe, all have better "auras." If Reigns actually had such an aura, he'd be able to get and stay over without nonstop god-level booking for multiple consecutive years. But he hasn't. At all. The booking got him over. The only solid crowd reactions he was supposed to get that weren't fleeting were in The Shield, only the most strongly-booked faction of this decade. He still hasn't even lost cleanly as a singles wrestler on the main roster, and he's still been a flop as a top guy. Unlike other past stars, his "aura" was/is entirely his strong booking; without it, he'd be even less than what he already is...which is probably why he's still booked so strongly, getting heat from unjustified strong booking is the only way he can get any kind of reaction at all nowadays. Cesaro has a much better history of crowd reactions despite receiving inferior booking strength over the course of his career.
Lmao and were supposed to take Itami and Balor serious as shooters why? Occasionally rolling does not make you an MMA fighter. And why are we assuming Orton and Joe fight any better? I get naming the actual NCAA stars and folk with fight records, the others are just confusing random picks.

As far as aura Reigns has an aura that's undeniable. There's a reason most hardcore fans pictured he'd be a future star. There's a reason when he pops up the crowd has always cared. He might not be a fan favorite but he clearly has an aura.

·
WeeWoo WeeWoo
20,073 Posts
The concept of the Shield and the people who were in it was fine. It was a good idea to have a WWE guy like Roman work with arguably the best in the ring (Seth) and on the mic (Dean) as a newbie pro wrestler to learn a thing or two. There was nothing really wrong with the Shield, especially in the beginning, but the problem came when WWE prioritized Roman above the more talented members.

·
Banned
6,709 Posts
The concept of the Shield and the people who were in it was fine. It was a good idea to have a WWE guy like Roman work with arguably the best in the ring (Seth) and on the mic (Dean) as a newbie pro wrestler to learn a thing or two. There was nothing really wrong with the Shield, especially in the beginning, but the problem came when WWE prioritized Roman above the more talented members.
Are you fucking kidding me? There was no constructive goal of The Shield. They were the most random, three man, group of all time. These men never had an objective. You and everyone else who got sucked into a bunch of bullshit ate it up like starving children after a long war. The only thing they had going was that they all came from the same developmental region. Are you even aware that there was never a leader? You were probably one of those fans who thought that a trio of men not having a leader was "cool". Lol.

Greener than The Hulk

I am talking Roman Reigns. Yeah, he was real tough needing help from two other men doing a power bomb on guys his size for the most part. Wait they're a unit so it's all about team work. How did Roman get stuck with the "Tough Guy" role then? Reigns was terrible back then in the ring and they hid it well. The fact that he hardly spoke on the mic was a blessing to us all and even him, but then it turned into a curse. Why? Because the WWE through the Shield were actually building this green monster right. Slowly. Then fans jumped on the proper build, gave Vince a hard on, and we have an over pushed hack at the top of the main event serving a suspension currently.

A Man Held Back

How embarrassing that Dean Ambrose had to debut as a heel, but with those other two stooges. Nothing against Seth, but he is no Dean Ambrose. Anyone, but a blind man can see that the true heel out of the group was Dean Ambrose. I am sorry, but he was never a good fit for the group because they never had a leader. Had there been a leader it would have been Dean Ambrose. Somehow the WWE managed to fuck that all up and eventually this notorious villain became a face. Explain to me why Dean Ambrose is in the WWE. That's right, because he was one of the best heels not signed to the WWE at the time. There is no question about it, but you Dean Ambrose fans won't admit that The Shield held him back from stardom.

A Face To Follow

If there was ever a "face" who could have been built to surpass John Cena it could have been Seth Rollins. What in the hell were they thinking? Exactly my point, they weren't thinking. Seth Rollins would have been a much more established star by this point had the WWE not placed him in this directionless trio of random stars. Seth Rollins is the future of the company, or was. Now he is just some other name with no real direction in character. As this point he is basically ripping off of HHH's attire, and finishing move. However, he could never be the heel that HHH cemented his legacy with. Seth Rollins could be this generations leader, but I don't think that's possibly at this point. That ship sailed.

The Shield as it should have been

Ryback

He had the look. Ryback debuted no long prior to the actual group itself. I feel as though Ryback should have been the first member to join warning the roster that others will soon follow. Ryback in the Shield attire would have been totally bad ass. I don't think he would have needed help with his power bombs. It would, or could have been revealed that The Shield are from all over the world and he represents the USA.

Rusev

Makes perfect sense in my opinion because as Ryback hints, The Shield come from all over the world. The Bulgarian Brute would back that last statement. I think seeing Rusev in Shield gear would have made him come off as very intimidating. I think pairing him with Ryback says that they aren't fucking around. I honestly think that Rusev could have easily incorporated Lana into all of this as well. There are no rules for having a woman around. These men have their own set of rules.

Cesaro

He would have been the perfect 3rd man. Of course he isn't great on the mic, but that's okay this group would have a leader at some point. These men would all wear the clothing that says they kick ass. Cesaro would have sold the look with no problem. He isn't some small man himself. I think his look would have been just as intimidating as the others. The bald head, the ripped arms, and the overall toughness that he exudes would have been perfect. I could see him sporting beret like he did earlier on in his WWE career.

The Leader and voice of the group

Damien Sandow would be the leader and voice of the group. However, he would haven't worn The Shield attire. He would have been as he was while playing the Intellectual Savior, pink tights, purple knee pads, long robe, etc. The goal would be to bring justice, enlightenment, and sanctity to the masses. Damien Sandow gathers a trio of monsters from three areas of the planet with intention for that number to grow. He would have been the perfect, most well spoken, heel to do this with.

In ending The Shield in my humble opinion were the most directionless and useless trio of all time. Even The New Day have a better back story, if you can even call it that. I don't see how this group meant anything to anyone at any point during their useless existence. My hatred runs deep for this group because all three talents offer so much more, but I fear that this trio was stained due to the lack of back story to the characters involved.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Reigns isn't a legitimate badass either.
LOL forever and ever. Roman was an All-Conference collegiate defensive tackle. Unlike 99.9% of the people in the world, he played on two practice squads in the NFL and dressed out in the CFL.

Unless you're a secret assassin and you're unable to mention your credentials here, I doubt you have any idea who is a legitimate badass.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
There was literally nothing wrong with Roman in the shield. It's the post shield booking that was the problem. Hero would have only added elbows to the shield

61 - 80 of 100 Posts