Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
]
Hindsight being what it is now Austin hogan may of been better due to rock leaving soon anyways but his star was rising and Austin's wasn't
Rock-Hogan would have better. Although Rock's star power had peaked in 2000. He was a bigger draw than Austin starting in fall 99. I always thought there should have been a Hogan-Austin match at WM19, but it never ce to be.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I think Austin and Hogans styles would have clashed more. Austin was also not able to bumb around for Hogan, the way Rock did.

And who knows how the crowd qould have reacted. They were obvously very pro Hogan. Imagine if Austin gave Hogan the finge and got thunderous boo's.

I honestly think Rock vs Hogan was a greater match and a greater moment.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I think Austin and Hogans styles would have clashed more. Austin was also not able to bumb around for Hogan, the way Rock did.

And who knows how the crowd qould have reacted. They were obvously very pro Hogan. Imagine if Austin gave Hogan the finge and got thunderous boo's.

I honestly think Rock vs Hogan was a greater match and a greater moment.
I honestly think Austin would have split the crowd down the middle. Austin was very wary of some of Hogan's ring antics, going back to 94-95 when he was in WCW. Austin would have countered anything Hogan did. The Rock was somewhat starstruck by Hogan, who was his boyhood idol. There are a lot of things Hogan did in that match to make the crowd turn on the Rock, or cheer him that Austin would have had no problem answering to.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
No

1). Austin by 2002 was not as popular as he was a year ago. He was still bruised and battered from the botched heel turn. In contrast, Rock was still hot

2).The Toronto crowd was going to cheer Hogan no matter what. Rock could recover from getting booed, but I don’t think Austin would. Austin’s character couldn’t take defeats easily whereas Rock’s character could

3). Rock was still 29 years old at the time whereas Austin was 37. Hence, Rock offered a chance to create a passing of the torch moment

4). The Rock’s character made a better backstory : Hollywood Rock vs Hollywood Hogan

5). They needed to turn Hogan face at the end, which is why Rock saved Hogan from NWO and did a handshake with Hogan. Austin’s DTA character would have made this angle difficult

6), The Rock needed his Wrestlemania moment. He lost to Austin in 1999, he lost to Triple H in 2000, he lost to Austin again in 2001. Just let Rock beat Hogan in 2002

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
It's hard to say I would change something that worked out so well. I definitely would have done Austin vs. Hogan at Summerslam or something cause they never ended up doing that match at all. I remember not being too bothered at the time that Rock got to face Hogan. I was more annoyed that Austin got stuck facing Scott hall when he should have been doing something far more significant. Since hall was part of the NWO it clearly felt like Austin was facing the guy that was the next tier down from who Rock was facing. I think I would have rather had Austin face Flair instead of the Undertaker cause that is another one on one match I don't remember ever seeing. If it did happen, I have no recollection of it.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Rock was objectively the bigger star in 2002. We can bitch and moan all we want about who was the bigger star in the Attitude era and all of that, but in 2002 it wasn't really close.

Even if they offered the match to Steve and booked him to go over, his ego wouldn't have allowed him to be put in a position where he'd be booed out of the building.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
No

1). Austin by 2002 was not as popular as he was a year ago. He was still bruised and battered from the botched heel turn. In contrast, Rock was still hot

2).The Toronto crowd was going to cheer Hogan no matter what. Rock could recover from getting booed, but I don’t think Austin would. Austin’s character couldn’t take defeats easily whereas Rock’s character could

3). Rock was still 29 years old at the time whereas Austin was 37. Hence, Rock offered a chance to create a passing of the torch moment

4). The Rock’s character made a better backstory : Hollywood Rock vs Hollywood Hogan

5). They needed to turn Hogan face at the end, which is why Rock saved Hogan from NWO and did a handshake with Hogan. Austin’s DTA character would have made this angle difficult

6), The Rock needed his Wrestlemania moment. He lost to Austin in 1999, he lost to Triple H in 2000, he lost to Austin again in 2001. Just let Rock beat Hogan in 2002
You make good points. I disagree with #4.. I think the biggest star of the 80s vs the biggest star of the 90s (Hogan vs Austin), would have made a more appealing selling point.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I mean it was one of those dream matches in the attiude era, imagine nwo b&w Hogan vs SCSA, and Austin was still a pretty big star, however by 2002 he wasnt the same, the 1999-2000 period he was gone die to injury , the lame Rikishi fued when he returned, jobbing out or not gaining any clean wins over hunter since they wwe was big on pushing HHH in the world title scene around late 1999, The bad decision on Austin turning heel, Austin joining the invasion stable, plus Austin character wise as a heel in 2001 was a far cry from the alpha heel of 1996 character wise by hugging it out, playing banjos, tapping out like a bum, and being a chicken sensitive ego centric heel all played role in his diminishing stock by the time 2002 comes around, while Rocky was at his peak in 2002, and was a huge cross over star, and quite frankly Austin (who one of my top 6) by 2002 have peaked, and creative wise burned out by the time he started doing the stupid what chants.

So while Hogan , and Austin sound intriguing the two alphas of the monday night wars, Rocky and Hogan made sense business wise, although Austin shouldn't been put with Scott Hall , who was totally unprofessional showing up after binge drinking all night in no condition to wrestle.

I have to go with Rocky and Hogan, maybe Austin and Flair, with a story going back to flair being one of the guys holding down the Austin and Pillmans of the world, repackage DDP to get revenge on Taker leading into Taker getting the win at mania.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
Nah.

Austin may have been the bigger star in the wrestling world (imo, imo, no need to start a mark war) but I don't think Austin/Hogan would have been a particularity good match. On the contrary I think Austin falling for the Hogan Hulk Up would look ridiculous.

What I would have done though is have Austin loose a handicap match against the Outsiders, with interference from X-Pac and maybe another new nWo member or members. Then towards the finish of Rock/Hogan have the nWo try to interfere. Austin makes the save. Rock wins. And we move into an Austin/Rock vs. The nWo feud.

We still get Rock/Hogan. Austin is spared a shitty WM loss. The nWo doesn't get neutered a month after debuting. And we have a story moving forward.

We don't get the Rock/Hogan handshake, but that could always come later.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I mean it was one of those dream matches in the attiude era, imagine nwo b&w Hogan vs SCSA, and Austin was still a pretty big star, however by 2002 he wasnt the same, the 1999-2000 period he was gone die to injury , the lame Rikishi fued when he returned, jobbing out or not gaining any clean wins over hunter since they wwe was big on pushing HHH in the world title scene around late 1999, The bad decision on Austin turning heel, Austin joining the invasion stable, plus Austin character wise as a heel in 2001 was a far cry from the alpha heel of 1996 character wise by hugging it out, playing banjos, tapping out like a bum, and being a chicken sensitive ego centric heel all played role in his diminishing stock by the time 2002 comes around, while Rocky was at his peak in 2002, and was a huge cross over star, and quite frankly Austin (who one of my top 6) by 2002 have peaked, and creative wise burned out by the time he started doing the stupid what chants.

So while Hogan , and Austin sound intriguing the two alphas of the monday night wars, Rocky and Hogan made sense business wise, although Austin shouldn't been put with Scott Hall , who was totally unprofessional showing up after binge drinking all night in no condition to wrestle.

I have to go with Rocky and Hogan, maybe Austin and Flair, with a story going back to flair being one of the guys holding down the Austin and Pillmans of the world, repackage DDP to get revenge on Taker leading into Taker getting the win at mania.
That is who AUstin wanted was Flair, Austin vs Hogan is the bigger match and unlike rock, Austin wasn't leaving 2 weeks later to go to Hollywood. AUstin vs Hogan in the main event at WM 18 is the biggest WM main event of all time with the 2 biggest stars ever. Austin didnt trust Hogan from when Hogan came to WCW in 1994 and Austin got depushed but Austin turned down Hogan and was angling for Flair but Taker got to choose Flair over RVD and when Austin got stuck with Hall and Hall showed up drunk that is what caused Austin to no show the RAW after WM 18, had it been Austin vs Flair there wouldn't have been any issues with AUstin.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts