Wrestling Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I heard an internet rumor around 1999, when the WCW started getting killed by the WWE in the ratings war that they had tired to reach out to Austin, and offered him an insane amount of money to jump ship and come to WWE. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the rumor, but it had stated that the offer would have made Austin the highest paid wrestler in WCW, eclipsing what Hogan and Goldberg made in their final years of the company, but obviously Austin stayed put in the WWE.

There were also rumors that a few months after Jesse Ventura won the Minnesota Governor race, WCW offered him a substantial amount of money to make appearances on WCW, but Ventura didn't really need the money and of course him and Hulk Hogan could not co-exist after their infamous fallout in the early 90s.
Austin was highest paid during WWF championships..

He was in pre WCW area... it called Worldwide wrestling...had mega superstars... Vader , Flair, Four horseman, Syd... etc etc...Austin with the blonde hair was basically a nobody...TV championships.. Never considered much... sorry.

I am huge WCW fan...

My Legends..

1. Goldberg
2. Sting
3. Booker T
4. Syd
(In ranking/ in order)

·
Registered
947 Posts
Austin was highest paid during WWF championships..

He was in pre WCW area... it called Worldwide wrestling...had mega superstars... Vader , Flair, Four horseman, Syd... etc etc...Austin with the blonde hair was basically a nobody...TV championships.. Never considered much... sorry.
I'm not referring to Austin's first run on WCW, which would have been 1990-95. This supposed offer happened in 1999. Pre-WCW, Steve Austin performed in the Texas-based World Class Championship Wrestling (which would later merge with another wrestling promotion, the CWA, to form the USWA).

·
Banned
The King Of Rants
11,916 Posts
Chyna - I think WCW would want her but she'd probably be unaffordable in the long term. I know even in her TNA run she was pretty expensive and that was like a decade after she left WWE so fresh out of WWE she would've been expensive. Maybe a few appearances but definitely not regularly.

Road Dogg - As others have pointed out he was at the final Nitro looking for a job, he would've jumped over to WCW and probably ran around the upper midcard scene before dropping into a tag team or midcard role.

Stone Cold - No chance. Even if we're going to say Turner still owned WCW he would've been out of budget for them plus he hated WCW. Even if he took an interest in signing with WCW I'm sure the WWF would've quickly made a big money offer to keep him.

In terms of other signings Fusient (The company that was set to buy WCW in 2001) was meant to take Jerry Lawler (And The Kat most likely), former ECW Champion Steve Corino, former ECW TV Champion Rob Van Dam, Joey Styles, Don Callis and I imagine a fair few others.

Who'd want Road Dogg?
Anyone.

Dude was super over at the time, got a bit slower in the ring and had a drug issue but he's a guy that the people would pay to see which is why he's never been out of a job in wrestling for too long.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Chyna - I think WCW would want her but she'd probably be unaffordable in the long term. I know even in her TNA run she was pretty expensive and that was like a decade after she left WWE so fresh out of WWE she would've been expensive. Maybe a few appearances but definitely not regularly.

Road Dogg - As others have pointed out he was at the final Nitro looking for a job, he would've jumped over to WCW and probably ran around the upper midcard scene before dropping into a tag team or midcard role.

Stone Cold - No chance. Even if we're going to say Turner still owned WCW he would've been out of budget for them plus he hated WCW. Even if he took an interest in signing with WCW I'm sure the WWF would've quickly made a big money offer to keep him.

In terms of other signings Fusient (The company that was set to buy WCW in 2001) was meant to take Jerry Lawler (And The Kat most likely), former ECW Champion Steve Corino, former ECW TV Champion Rob Van Dam, Joey Styles, Don Callis and I imagine a fair few others.

Anyone.

Dude was super over at the time, got a bit slower in the ring and had a drug issue but he's a guy that the people would pay to see which is why he's never been out of a job in wrestling for too long.
a reboot WCW i could see the following signed:
1. RVD
2. Sabu
3. Super Crazy
4. Jerry Lynn
5. Jerry Lawler
6. Joey Styles
7. Steve Corino
8. Bob Sapp
9. BG James
10. Psicosis

In terms of people jumping ship really could only see disgruntled guys like D'Lo Brown, Billy Gunn orX-Pac jumping. Maybe an underutilized upper midcarder like Big Show or Rikishi or a Kurt Angle/Chris Jericho at best. Austin woulda used that as more leverage for a better position going into 2002 and McMahon woulda caved

·
Banned
The King Of Rants
11,916 Posts
a reboot WCW i could see the following signed:
1. RVD
2. Sabu
3. Super Crazy
4. Jerry Lynn
5. Jerry Lawler
6. Joey Styles
7. Steve Corino
8. Bob Sapp
9. BG James
10. Psicosis

In terms of people jumping ship really could only see disgruntled guys like D'Lo Brown, Billy Gunn orX-Pac jumping. Maybe an underutilized upper midcarder like Big Show or Rikishi or a Kurt Angle/Chris Jericho at best. Austin woulda used that as more leverage for a better position going into 2002 and McMahon woulda caved
They would've got the guys WWF didn't want as well like Scott Hall. Definitely wouldn't have had the negotiating power they did in 96, 97 and 98 though.

·
Registered
454 Posts
They would've got the guys WWF didn't want as well like Scott Hall. Definitely wouldn't have had the negotiating power they did in 96, 97 and 98 though.
facts but i still see the nwo making they way wcw or no wcw in 2002 i think after they get released wcw would pick up hall. N facts but in no way would McMahon want Austin to appear on enemy television no matter how irrelevant they got. Kinda like the Edge/Randy Orton situation with WWE/AEW

21 - 28 of 28 Posts