Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Road Dogg's last real year in the WWF was 2000 when he was floating around as a heel and later face with no crowd heat. 2001 was when he got tagged with suspension over drugs, that led to his firing from the WWF. Although 2001 was Stone Cold's better wrestling year, he was nowhere near the guy he was in his top drawing prime years of 1997-99. And Chyna had nowhere to go after Triple H ended up leaving her for Stephanie McMahon, so despite her Playboy cover, WWFgot rid of her.

Assuming that WCW did continue on as a company for a few more years instead of being bought by Vince McMahon, would we have seen the likes of Stone Cold, Chyna, Road Dogg, etc. make the move to WCW, assuming that Ric Flair would eventually make the jump to WWF even if WCW hadn't folded, because Flair felt miserable during his later years in WCW, and even if WCW hadn't folded I still think he would have wanted out if it meant no longer having to deal with Bischoff anymore. Hogan probably would've came back to the WWF in 2001 because of his problems with Vince Russo.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Chyna would definitely go to WCW, when Triple H/Stephanie did what they did to her, she was fucked because there was no other place to go. she did a stint at NJPW and had buzz with that, but that isn't viable long term. But then again Chyna was really happy and well liked backstage even by her supposed enemies(Jericho), she was apart of the WWF family as seen in this video:

Road Dogg was on his way to WCW.

As for Austin, the very reason he left is because of the NWO coming in and then the push of Brock Lesnar, even until the beginning of 2002 he was happy even with the Invasion, once February hit that's when shit started. he would have no reason to go to WCW if WCW isn't purchased and NWO didn't come on.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'm sure Road Dogg and Chyna would have found employment in WCW, considering Road Dogg's brother was employed by the company, and that Chyna was still at the peak of her fame when she parted ways with the WWE.

Hard to say with Steve Austin. On one hand if WCW was still in business, the WWE would be very reluctant to release Austin to the competition, considering he had a huge role in turning the tide in the Monday Night ratings war. Austin also had negative experiences with WCW, and never cared too much for Eric Bischoff. However. if the money was right, you never know...

·
Registered
68 Posts
If WCW is around, Vince would have been more flexible with Austin. Plus, WWE owned the trademark Stone Cold, so...

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Road Dogg was backstage at the last Nitro.
Chyna I believe was in talks with WCW at the time.
Austin. Who knows, chances are he still retires because his body couldn't handle it anymore.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Road Dogg was at the last Nitro so yes. Jerry Lawler was also in talks with WCW for 'The Big Bang' so throw him and his wife back then in too.

Chyna valued herself on Main Event wages so probably not given WCW wouldn't be spending the money they did in 1997.

Steve Austin I don't think would have walked out if WCW was still around because I don't think WWE's creative wouldnt have become as laxed as it did.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I dont think Austin would of gone back to WCW he hated it there, the way he talked about the politics there he dreaded it, and even was shooting on wcw in promos during his ECW and WWF runs, Road Dogg I think maybe he was in a hot stable in 98, and then made irrelevant, partly of his own actions, partly of booking, partly of HHH politics, Chyna I think how hurt and betrayed she felt by HHH, and WCW had the money to add to it, I could see.

·
I know I'm dope, but don't wet that.
16,646 Posts
Austin wouldn’t go back to WCW after they already fired him. Don’t see why some of y’all are saying he would.

Road Dogg I don’t see him going there.

Chyna definitely would’ve went for sure.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Austin wouldn’t go back to WCW after they already fired him. Don’t see why some of y’all are saying he would.
I'm not so sure about that. Kevin Nash and Scott Hall didn't have too many good things to say about WCW, when they were midcard wrestlers in the early 90s. Ric Flair left in 91' after being mishandled for over a year, but went back less than 2 years later. I think the wrestling industry is just typically like that, and most wrestlers go where they can make a comfortable living in spite of the toxicity that exist in the company.

I can't help but think how much better the pro wrestling industry would have been if Jesse Ventura had been successful in establishing a union back in the 80s. Even people like Bret Hart have lobbied for one.

·
I know I'm dope, but don't wet that.
16,646 Posts
I'm not so sure about that. Kevin Nash and Scott Hall didn't have too many good things to say about WCW, when they were midcard wrestlers in the early 90s. Ric Flair left in 91' after being mishandled for over a year, but went back less than 2 years later. I think the wrestling industry is just typically like that, and most wrestlers go where they can make a comfortable living in spite of the toxicity that exist in the company.

I can't help but think how much better the pro wrestling industry would have been if Jesse Ventura had been successful in establishing a union back in the 80s. Even people like Bret Hart have lobbied for one.
Austin said it on one of his podcast he wouldn’t go back to WCW.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
Chyna would definitely go to WCW, when Triple H/Stephanie did what they did to her, she was fucked because there was no other place to go. she did a stint at NJPW and had buzz with that, but that isn't viable long term. But then again Chyna was really happy and well liked backstage even by her supposed enemies(Jericho), she was apart of the WWF family as seen in this video:

Road Dogg was on his way to WCW.

As for Austin, the very reason he left is because of the NWO coming in and then the push of Brock Lesnar, even until the beginning of 2002 he was happy even with the Invasion, once February hit that's when shit started. he would have no reason to go to WCW if WCW isn't purchased and NWO didn't come on.
Road Dog was back stage at the final Nitro.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m also sure Val Venis and The Godfather would’ve eventually moved to WCW in 2001 because they had already ceased being relevant after 2000, especially when they turned heel and joined Right To Censor. Even after they were restored to their pre-RTC characters, it wasn’t the same.

Hulk Hogan would’ve eventually came back to the WWF since he had quit WCW in 2000 after his debacle with Vince Russo and Jeff Jarrett that led to Hogan’s departure. Hall had gotten fired from WCW in 2000 and did a brief but interesting stint with ECW which had his old WWF backstage enemies Shane Douglas, Chris Candido causing a scene with his presence. Hennig was also released from WCW in 2000 due to being irrelevant.

as far as on-air personnel goes, I think Bobby Heenan would’ve came back to the WWF even if WCW was still around, as well as Mean Gene Okerlund. For Heenan, he originally wanted to leave WWF for WCW because of money, more time for family and a reduced travel schedule. Then he coasted because he felt miserable in WCW due to Tomy Schiavone. So I guess he would’ve appreciated the WWF more despite the extreme travel schedule and strict working environment.

·
Registered
Muscles Loyalty Respect
214 Posts
Not in a million years would austin of gone back to wcw,maybe road dogg but not chyna.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Austin said it on one of his podcast he wouldn’t go back to WCW.
Well what else is he going to say "yeah, the place I hated whose now out of business - I would have gone back to?"

But he wasn't in a good place in 2002. He was pissed off after he walked out on WWE. I don't know contractually if he had a way to legally get out of his contract/go to WCW - but assuming it was an option - I think it 100% becomes a big possibility.

It's all business - and in interviews Austin admitted as much about being all about business, so I don't know that he'd let a personal grudge against Bischoff stand in the way of a lucrative business opportunity.

Eric Bischoff and WCW would have bent over backwards - offering him everything and anything imaginable - to try and land him. So as much as Austin may have hated it previously - I think that would be negated here with how much WCW would offer him.

Flipside of course - Vince too wouldn't have wanted Austin to leave, so he likely bends over backwards to make sure it doesn't happen. Good chance he pulls it off.

But - if WCW was around- and if Austin was unhappy as he was in 2002 - and if he could legally break his contract - I think WCW absolutely would have been a very big consideration and bargaining chip. My gut says it doesn't happen - WWE finds a way to keep him, but it's possible

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am pretty sure that the Undertaker would be hot and Ted Turner would pay loads of millions for him..

·
Registered
947 Posts
I heard an internet rumor around 1999, when the WCW started getting killed by the WWE in the ratings war that they had tired to reach out to Austin, and offered him an insane amount of money to jump ship and come to WWE. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the rumor, but it had stated that the offer would have made Austin the highest paid wrestler in WCW, eclipsing what Hogan and Goldberg made in their final years of the company, but obviously Austin stayed put in the WWE.

There were also rumors that a few months after Jesse Ventura won the Minnesota Governor race, WCW offered him a substantial amount of money to make appearances on WCW, but Ventura didn't really need the money and of course him and Hulk Hogan could not co-exist after their infamous fallout in the early 90s.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I heard an internet rumor around 1999, when the WCW started getting killed by the WWE in the ratings war that they had tired to reach out to Austin, and offered him an insane amount of money to jump ship and come to WWE. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the rumor, but it had stated that the offer would have made Austin the highest paid wrestler in WCW, eclipsing what Hogan and Goldberg made in their final years of the company, but obviously Austin stayed put in the WWE.

There were also rumors that a few months after Jesse Ventura won the Minnesota Governor race, WCW offered him a substantial amount of money to make appearances on WCW, but Ventura didn't really need the money and of course him and Hulk Hogan could not co-exist after their infamous fallout in the early 90s.
They got killed by the WWF when they started with adult themes ... Boobies theme and Gen X theme ...then cane Steve Austin with the beer...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts