Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
18,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WWE is doing everything for this ppv. Fresh feuds like Cena-Miz,Orton-Punk. Feuds that will have huge aftermath like Del Rio-Edge and feuds filled with big names like HHH-Taker and Austin as ref for King-Cole match.

Then the main names to draw like bringing in Rock,Austin and even Trish(when was last WM all 3 of them appeared in!).

And now we even have big name celebrities appearing like Snooki(in a match) and still rumored to sing something(probably just the anthem) with Beiber.

This WM really seems like if it doesn't draw some of the biggest numbers in WWE history, that nothing we will ever see can draw huge anymore.

I'm not saying this will be the best WM ever, but it's also not gonna be the worst. This WM really looks like it'll be a real good one, and with the big names hopefully drawing people in, lets hope that does make a difference not just in terms of WM buys, but peoples opinions on WWE after WM, cause I'm sure there's some people(not talking bout ppl on this forum) that might not have liked WWE either at all or liked it before but gave up on it, and after seeing the publicity wwe got in the past month +, that they'll either tune into wwe for the first time or again or if not, they at least appreciate WWE instead of just hating it.

· There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,895 Posts
Guess that rumor some months back about Vince McMahon wanting to break a million buys had some merit behind it?

· Registered
896 Posts
Personally i feel they are doing everything they can to make it fail. Seriously!

This will be one of the worst drawing Mania's in recent memory. They have brought back Austin and the Rock because the card is quite simply terrible. In fact the only match i am remotely interested in atm is the Cody v Rey match. The Cole v King match has the best build so far and that is depressing. I could go on about how abysmal this event is shaping up to be but its just to sad to think about tbh. I think i need a beer.

· I Have Mixed Drinks About Feelings
Then. Now. Forever. Whatever.
314 Posts
I've been skimming through twitter and various other places online for the past few minutes, and if the people are excited for Wrestlemania just to see Snooki as they say they are. Then the buyrates will be through the roof just based on her. Im sure most of them haven't even seen the price of the event yet lol. But, lets say they decide to "buy" it. Then holy shit! Im just talking Jersey Shore fans here. Im sure they're a good bit of them stupid enough to buy just to see the broad.

· Registered
30 Posts
As much as I hate bringing Snooki I do agree, with the guy above me. I think it was a pretty decent move because now different media will be picking up that Snooki will be at Mania which will help buys with that category. just how many? I would have no idea, I can't imagine buying it just because Snooki would be in it but I know there for sure are people out there otherwise they wouldn't be doing this.

· Premium Member
46,384 Posts
If it DOESN'T draw big, then WWE will have to go back to doing what they did in the Attitude Era: Proper build up of their characters. Right now, they really are depending on Attitude Era stars & personalities to add a spark to this show (Rock, Austin, Trish, Triple H, Taker, E&C teaming up on TV, Lawler, JR etc). Prior to Rock coming back, this Mania had almost nothing going for it, and that is in large part to not establishing their current talent properly. I hated how they handled Miz prior to Elimination Chamber. I really don't like how they've handled Del Rio. Bryan, Sheamus, Morrison, Kofi, Swagger, & Ziggler are all pretty much directionless and are now just being placed into interchangable spots at Mania. And forget about all the guys beneath that group. They got almost nothing going for them. They put more effort into establishing a feud between two announcers than they have anything else, and that just feels backwards. Cole/Lawler should be purely an entertainment driven match and that's fine, but when you have actual wrestlers that can go, and are fresher, why not trying doing something a little meatier storyline wise with them?

I shudder to think where Miz/Cena would be if Rock hadn't been interjected into it. I have this fear that they'd have just kept doing what they were doing with Miz & it would have been painful.

The one match I can think of that had nothing wrong with it, really, is Orton/Punk. Its basic wrestling 101, but they established motivations for both guys that were believable, and they are letting the matches tell the story leading into Mania. Also, both men are good performers so they are just performing well at all phases too. I guess Rey/Cody has something similar as I do like that they've made Cody a psycho since that's the only way the Dashing gimmick makes any sense to me anyway. But Punk/Orton is the most interesting match in of itself. Miz/Cena has The Rock, HHH/Taker will get the most hype, the Mixed Tag has Snooki & Trish's return to Mania, Cole/Lawler has the most build & Steve Austin playing a role, Edge/Del Rio has a World Title, etc etc. But Orton/Punk isn't really relying on anything to spark it up. Its just well written & well performed so far & its a shame that it doesn't have a Rock or Austin or a belt tacked onto it to complement what is already good rather than just adding it to something that needed a spark.

If selling this Mania on the Attitude Era doesn't work, then they will hopefully get their act together and realize that maybe they shouldn't cut a guy's legs from under him when he's just getting over. And maybe putting a World Title on somebody without proper development is a bad idea. And maybe its time to take more risks and actually let these guys be themselves rather than scripting them word for word.

· Registered
10 Posts
I'd never buy WM or any WWE ppv unless I really had lots of money to spend lol. Watch it the day after without having bad stream quality is great.

If I ever got lots of money though, I'd no doubt buy every wwe ppv

· Registered
861 Posts
Maybe they should put a washed-up TV host into the Hall of Fame? Or how about sticking a whore enjoying her 15 minutes of fame in a match which will bury the two most over mid-carders in the WWE? That'll boost ratings!!

[/sarcasm] fpalm

· Registered
9,576 Posts
There's nothing Vince McMahon can do about the MMA juggernaut, people cutting the cable, people now spending 50 bucks to fill up their little Honda Civic. Prices are insane and Dana White is the only man on earth that can get more people than before to spend their expendable cash on a PPV event.

I still think there's a potential goldmine with Netflix and streaming PPV's over your TV and through gaming consoles.

· Registered
7,589 Posts
If WrestleMania 27 doesn't draw HUGE numbers after all that Vince McMahon has thrown at it over the last month or so then it is very simple what to do, throw even more money at next years WrestleMania by offering The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin whatever they want to come back for final matches. After all that has been put into the mini feud between John Cena and The Rock so far and after seeing the HUGE buzz it created i think it is quite clear to see that Cena/Rock is the biggest drawing match in wrestling.

Say what you want about John Cena but the fact is he is the biggest star in wrestling and the buzz created over Cena/Rock needs two men to create such a buzz so with next years WrestleMania being in The Rock's hometown of Miami and him maybe being inducted in The Hall of Fame as well then go with Cena/Rock as your main event. Push it hard and let them loose on the mic to build it up so it will draw HUGE and maybe even have John Cena go in as WWE champion to add to it, no one can convince me that Cena/Rock wouldn't draw HUGE and to end the show have John Cena turn heel to retain the WWE title as that would see the ratings on Raw go through the roof the next night.

Also throw whatever Stone Cold Steve Austin wants financially to come back for just one match and put him in there with someone who can carry him through to a great match and also live with Stone Cold Steve Austin in the build up to WrestleMania 28. That would mean one of two men in my opinion which would be a heel Triple H or Chris Jericho, both men work well with Stone Cold Steve Austin and could carry him through a great match that would be worthy of a sendoff but both men could be believable in winning and also living with him in the build up towards the match as well.

I would say that those two matches plus maybe The Undertaker going for 20-0 against Chris Jericho if Triple H was the one that got the feud and match with Stone Cold Steve Austin as i would prefer would more than be enough to push WrestleMania to getting HUGE buyrate numbers as we would be seeing three of the biggest draws ever against three of the best ever. Throw in Money in the Bank, maybe Edge/Christian, Orton/Punk again for the second year in a row, Morrison/Miz, Mistico/Mysterio/Del Rio and a Diva's Battle Royal if they have to be on the card then we could be on to a winner and a HUGE buyrate number.

· Recognize
21,207 Posts
If selling this Mania on the Attitude Era doesn't work, then they will hopefully get their act together and realize that maybe they shouldn't cut a guy's legs from under him when he's just getting over. And maybe putting a World Title on somebody without proper development is a bad idea. And maybe its time to take more risks and actually let these guys be themselves rather than scripting them word for word.
100% agreed. They need to book their new guys as legit against the established stars, not fling titles and accomplishments on people and expect the fans to just accept it, bring some fucking prestige back to their titles, develop interesting characters that people want to see and book entertaining feuds like they used to.

While I don't think that most of the talent today can really hold a candle to the guys of the past I don't think that they are necessarily the whole problem. Surround them with great booking and I'm sure we will all notice the difference. Just look at Miz for proof. Up until the past 2 weeks he was booked as a joke and so he looked like a joke and nobody took him seriously. But for the past 2 weeks they have booked him like a true star and he therefore comes across looking like he belongs in the Mania main event. What a difference effective booking can make.

To sum it up, Vince needs to get his head out of his ass and start fucking pushing his stars legitimately. It's simple maths:

Talented young prospect + non-retarded booking + consistent push + it factor = new star. It isn't difficult although somebody clearly doesn't understand. Look at Swagger, Barrett and Seamus for proof of that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.