Wrestling Forum banner

If they advertise it, what segment could draw HUGE ratings(be realistic)

1843 29
With raw getting almost 6M viewers last week, it proved that people will watch if they expect something big to happen, so if WWE were to advertise a segment happening on Raw a week or two later, which one could end up drawing the most ratings? Be realistic, don't be like "Edge having rated r celebration with wwe divas" or something random like that.

My guess would be something like Jericho returning one week and then WWE advertises the highlight reel and Jerichos guests are the host of WM The Rock and host of Tough Enough Stone Cold.

That alone would end up drawing huge ratings for sure.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,078 Posts
If they advertised Mark Henry vs. Sting vs. The Rock vs. John Cena vs. The Undertaker vs.Jeff Hardy in an Elimination Chamber match...
But only because Mark Henry=RATINGS!

· Registered
103 Posts
A Rock and Stone Cold 'confrontation' might actually happen on RAW this week, with rumors of SCSA appearing. In terms of advertisement, if that were to happen this week, WWE dropped the ball on that one. However, at this point I really don't think WWE needs to advertise something like that since this year's RTWM is already drawing huge numbers in comparison to previous ones. People will watch RAW this week anyways.

· Registered
821 Posts
Daniel Bryan has an R-rated celebration with Gail Kim

· Men of Mayhem
9,861 Posts
In the business aspect, advertising things like this is a great idea.

But even with Internet spoilers everywhere I still turn on Raw hoping to see a huge surprise. I haven't been reading any dirt sheets or spoilers so when Triple H returned on Monday I was pretty ecstatic.

The WWE respects its fan base for the most part and they seem to always put on a show for them, but business comes first.

· I must away and tend to my ravens
12,225 Posts
I honestly don't know. I guess the suggestion above of Jericho returning with the Highlight Reel and having Austin and Rock on it would do the job so I'll say that.

I would like to go further and explore what purpose a big rating serves though; all too often it seems like we talk about as the big priority but really that's only half the story. As I'm sure we all know, one of the main ways for a TV company to make money is by selling advertising space during programs with the highest rated shows costing the highest amounts. This means that ratings, when it comes to contract negotiations, allow the makers to charge higher amounts themselves; if they don't get it from the current broadcaster they go elsewhere. For this reason it is important to be consistent over a long period of time, a cheap publicity stunt may bring in viewers in the short term but if they fail to deliver quality then it will actualy have a negative effect because the new viewers, disappointed with what they're seeing, will go elsewhere and may never come back. Couple that with the irritation loyal viewers feel when their shows are altered in an attempt to appeal to a wider audience and you lose viewers there too, with the inevitable loss of revenue that entails.

In short then, whatever idea you guys have for getting people to watch, it must be representative of the standard output and not something controvertial for the sake of it, say, putting your world title on a Hollywood actor.

· Registered
7,601 Posts
I honestly believe that if advertised an in ring confrontation between John Cena and The Rock would draw bigger ratings than anything else that WWE could put on offer and i include any interaction between Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock. With Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock there is nothing there between them in that regard other than it being something that people would mark to see for nostalgic reasons and in 2011 i just don't see it doing the kind of ratings people think it would.

With John Cena and The Rock there is something legitimately there between the two of them and some people even buy into there being a real life problem between them thus meaning more of a shoot than a work. The best feuds and promo's in wrestling are the one's that people have bought into being real and based from real life problems like Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart for example, if a Cena/Rock confrontation was advertised a few days before Raw i honestly believe it could pull in a HUGE rating and maybe even rival The Rock's This Is Your Life as the biggest ever because unlike that segment which was just for fun Cena/Rock is something that people believe is real.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.