Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
The EST of NXT
28,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Anytime a Cena heel turn is mentioned, there has to be that one guy who says "BUT THE KIDZZZZ!!11!!!"

Kane has been sold as the human incarnation of Satan for 17 years. What's stopping Cena from going to hospitals and granting wishes after he adds an edge to his character?

·
Premium Member
30,980 Posts
Re: If "THE DEMON KANE" Can Teach Kids About Kidness, Then Why Can't a Heel Cena?

Merchandise sales...

All kinda of heels go on this be a star, reading and whatever else campaigns. It is not what WWE is tapping out of John Cena.

·
Since Day One
9,874 Posts
Re: If "THE DEMON KANE" Can Teach Kids About Kidness, Then Why Can't a Heel Cena?

It's not just about kids. It's about money. Without a sustainable fall back plan, a heel Cena wouldn't make any sense business wise because that's just going on a whim and sacrificing a proven cash cow without any replacement in site.

·
The EST of NXT
28,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Merchandise sales...

All kinda of heels go on this be a star, reading and whatever else campaigns. It is not what WWE is tapping out of John Cena.

Do you really think Cena's shirts wouldn't sell if he turned heel? The demographic would simply shift from kids to grown men. I can bet a shitload of people on this forum would buy Black and White Cena shirts.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

his PR value will drop immensely

he is the most sought after star for make a wish and once he turns heel, the kids wont want him anymore and that affects WWE image

so as boring as he is in the ring, he makes it up outside

·
Premium Member
30,980 Posts

Do you really think Cena's shirts wouldn't sell if he turned heel? The demographic would simply shift from kids to grown men. I can bet a shitload of people on this forum would buy Black and White Cena shirts.
Not as well...

Is this not obvious?

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,745 Posts
NWO shirts were some of the most popular selling merch items ever in wrestling, pretty sure they were "heels", but that is more of an exception than a rule with Merchandise

It goes beyond just that, or THE KIDZ, with Cena not turning heel, it is a combo of EVERYTHING for the WWE that keeps them from turning him heel.

·
Premium Member
30,980 Posts
NWO is a terrible comparison because the teen and young adult demograph dominated the attitiude era. Not the case anymore. How many kids did you see in NWO shirts?

·
Since Day One
9,874 Posts
I swear you people act as though heels can't sell merchandise or something.
It's not that he can't but you have to understand that the Cena brand has been an established one that rakes in cash and has been the cornerstone of their merchandising for years and for good reason. Turning him heel goes completely against the philosophies of what's been making them money for all these years. It doesn't make sense to do that until the WWE either has:

A. An established act that can assume the role as the top babyface that makes profit as well as Cena does, if not better.
B. Strongly believes that an upcoming star could be "that guy" and gauges how the fans react to him and how well his merch sells when the spotlight isn't completely on him.

And that's just merchandise we're talking about.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
You're kidding yourself if you think Cena will be getting Make a Wish requests as a heel. Certainly not to the extent he does now. Just because Kane can read a book to kids onm a given day doesn't mean he's representative to charities/ military to the level that Cena is.

From there you get to Cena's brand. The guy isn't just a face to the kiddies, he's the only wrestler that's even remotely marketable to corporations. His gear is sold at a national retailer. What do you think K Mart is going to say about a John Cena heel turn?

And stop with the NWO. It's not 1996 anymore. You're not going to recreate that marketing campaign. Just ask Austin, Rock, Goldberg and every other big face that went heel since.

·
Premium Member
30,980 Posts

Didn't a certain heel beat Cena at one point?

This is Cena, Mr. Face of the company. He'll sell a shit ton of merch regardless. If it looks cool and represents something cool then it will sell.

He was pretty much a face when that shirt came out...

See my post after that post regardless.

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
You're kidding yourself if you think Cena will be getting Make a Wish requests as a heel. Certainly not to the extent he does now. Just because Kane can read a book to kids onm a given day doesn't mean he's representative to charities/ military to the level that Cena is.

From there you get to Cena's brand. The guy isn't just a face to the kiddies, he's the only wrestler that's even remotely marketable to corporations. His gear is sold at a national retailer. What do you think K Mart is going to say about a John Cena heel turn?

And stop with the NWO. It's not 1996 anymore. You're not going to recreate that marketing campaign. Just ask Austin, Rock, Goldberg and every other big face that went heel since.
This is pretty much it in a nutshell, and Cena's workload is so in demand he does this 24/7, where as Kane doesn't, the kids that Cena will go to really believe in him, it's a bit like Santa Claus really and the fact he's so in demand by these kids, they're able to give something to them just for being John Cena.

Kane isn't in demand as much as Cena, he probably doesn't have the impact that Cena does on these kids either, just because you see a picture of him doing it doesn't mean he could do it to the extent that Cena does ... simply due to Cena's popularity with them for a start ... so why change this?

We all want a Cena heel turn, or change of character but these kids get to spend their last moments with this guy they absolutely love, why break their hearts by Cena's character doing some heelish shit on TV ... which it absolutely would, they invest in Cena much more than they do Kane, Kane is already Kane.

Honestly, as much as I'd love a Cena heel turn or even a change of character, if given the choice I'd much rather these kids have their last wishes than him change for my entertainment.

There are many other talents on the roster I can invest in, Cena is just one that I can either choose to ignore or watch ... depending on whatever people feel they want to do.

I'm tired at the moment, but it's pretty obvious the differences though in regards to it all, shouldn't really need to be discussed.

·
★★★★¾
1,644 Posts
He was pretty much a face when that shirt came out...

See my post after that post regardless.
That was just a random shirt I linked. My point is you can still sell as a heel. Like I said, This is Cena, Mr. Face of the company. All eyes will be on him, especially after a heel turn. He'll sell a shit ton of merch regardless.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts