Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how far do you think he couldve gone? i mean he was easily one of the most over mid-card faces of all time in fact he was over from Day 1 in WWE due to his ability in the ring and he was really talented in the ring and im thinkin WWE wouldve had big plans for him seeing as how he held the WWE/WWECW championships at the same time and went over Cena who was pretty much invincible at the time and rarely lost...

sorry if that has been discussed many times before as im sure it has but i was curious

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I always like Rob Van Dam but I kinda feel that he wouldn't have stayed in the main event scene. Even though he was always very over. I think it's because he was pretty flashy in the ring and is selling often looked brutal. But I doubt that the WWE wanted him in the main event spot in the long run. I never had the feeling that they trusted him that much.

And I think the reason why he held the WWE and the ECW title was mainly because they wanted the ECW brand to look strong and portray it as competetive as possible.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Rob Van Dam was a yo-yo, he was up and down, one minute he was one of the greatest guy in the company the next he had dropped to mid carder.
I seriously believe he will be back in the WWE within the next 6 years, because TNA won't be able to keep him and they will end up spending more money then they are making.

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
personally I believe Vince only brought back ECW to make a quick buck and then kill the brand so you don't hear people chanting ECW ECW ECW on shows anymore. RVD would have eventually lost credibility much like the ECW brand. once Heyman lost power and it was bound to happen then RVD would have returned to being a midcarder while guys Vince had faith in (Bobby Lashley etc.) got pushed.

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
He was gonna drop the WWE title at Saturday Nights Main Event or Summerslam to Edge so he cost himself an extra 2-3 weeks of being WWE champion. He probably wouldve been ECW champ until December to Dismember though. When you think about it, he definitely deserves a lot of blame for ECW getting buried. With Angle out of the picture, Punk not even close to being ready, RVD was the one looked upon to carry the ECW brand.

·
Registered
300 Posts
not much further, he might have had 1 WHC reign but thats about it. he was never really trusted but i guess the only time he let them down was when they put to much egss in his basket

·
Registered
615 Posts
He was always over and a terrific in ring performer but I never felt like he was a main event guy and I doubt very much that he would have become a top guy in WWE, probably a short WHC reign and not much else.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
He has amazing in ring ability and has always been a very talented overall Wrestler who knew how to get himself over. Probally the biggest face ECW ever had and his fans traveled with him to WWE. I would say if everything went well for him in his personal life and he would of stayed with WWE he probally would have had been an upper mid carder and occassional main eventer. I don't think there's any chance he gets to the top of the WWE and stays there due to his lack of mic work and charisma. WWE gave him a push because at the time he was over big and probally thought he paid his dues for ECW and deserved some glory in the biggest stage of them all. I don't think Vince ever really cared for him as he kept him very limited on the mic and that was probally rightfully so.

·
Sleeps nude in an oxygen tent.
4,745 Posts
apparently he was suspended after RVD and Sabu were caught with weed thus his title reign was cut short and he got slumped down to the mid-card

HIRE RVD.

BE SURPRISED WHEN HE IS RVD.

·
Banned
1,266 Posts
personally I believe Vince only brought back ECW to make a quick buck and then kill the brand so you don't hear people chanting ECW ECW ECW on shows anymore. RVD would have eventually lost credibility much like the ECW brand. once Heyman lost power and it was bound to happen then RVD would have returned to being a midcarder while guys Vince had faith in (Bobby Lashley etc.) got pushed.
LOL @ the idea that Vince intentionally killed the ECW brand. WWECW started in 2005 (ONS 1), and started weekly in 2006. It didn't die until 2010. Vince wouldn't intentionally start up the brand just to lose money. Plus if he did want to "kill" the brand he would have done it over a few weeks, a few months AT MOST. Not 4 years.

Vince had the rights to the ECW brand, and ran it the way he saw fit. Eventually it ran it's course, so he ended it and replaced it with NXT. It was not a nefarious 4-5 year plan.

·
#FunFact™
7,513 Posts
Even if he wasn't busted with Sabu, later that year, he turned down Vince's offer to go to the Tribute to the Troops show. It was an optional show, but Vince personally invites the Superstars that he wants to go on the trip and RVD turned him down. Vince soured on him from then on. RVD's wife got cancer later and RVD got burned out. So in the end, things probably wouldn't have been any different if RVD was busted or not.

·
Administrator
59,002 Posts
Even if he never got in trouble at the time, I seen him dropping the WWE title by Summerslam. So him getting in trouble simply sped up the process by a month. I do think he would of kept the ECW title for a long time as a way of being the face of the brand.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts