Wrestling Forum banner

If Randy Savage stayed in the WWF during the Attitude Era

7K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  promoter2003 
#1 ·
Randy Macho Man Savage was already one of the GOAT's before he left WWF in 1994, however thinking back. We really missed out on a lot of potential goat feuds that would have been very entertaining. There's one that sticks out,

Macho Man Randy Savage vs Mankind

I think this feud would've been the perfect blend of personalities. Nobody would've understood what they would say except each other. Savage's skills as a brawler type were vastly underrated, his final match with Crush and his later feud w/DDP really showcases that he still had it. Mankind and Macho Man beating each other up senseless would've been good TV.

Attitude Era version of Miss Elizabeth. WCW had the right idea but did it wrong. Eventually, I think WWE would've turned her into an edgy diva if she would've stuck around. It would've been very interesting to see an thicker, older, boob-job, still extremely hot milf status Elizabeth go in compete against Sable, Sunny, Chyna, Marlena etc..

What are your thoughts? What are some other good feuds and angles you would've liked to see from the Macho Man.

See less See more
#8 ·
I wish Macho Man would've been in most of the title feuds from the New Generation/Attitude Era.

If Randy Savage would've had a feud with Bret, Shawn, Diesel, Undertaker, Sid, etc., I think it would've put a bit more of the proverbial "rub" on each of these guys and legitimize them.

Plus, he would've received pops out of respect and not out of pure face/heel fashion. He's a legend who deserved to stay where he belonged - as a WWF/E superstar.

#21 ·
Assuming Savage stayed around and was still allowed to wrestle from time to time, yes a Mankind vs Savage feud has the potential to be one of the all time greats.

For one, in 1997, Randy showed he was still capable of putting on one hell of a brawl as seen in his matches with DDP. Substituting DDP for one of the greatest brawlers ever in Foley definitely raises the ceiling for the potential of that feud. I'm thinking a 3 match program. First match ends with a DQ victory for Randy. Second match is a Street Fight/No DQ brawl that ends with Savage getting absolutely destroyed but some how still securing the pinfall victory. The 3rd and Final match is a Savage/Mankind Hell in a Cell match. After 20 barbaric minutes, Mankind would get the final win. Man. That could have been special.

Oh well :eek:

#23 ·
The flying elbow on Mankind through the table would've been epic. Savage vs Foley in a no DQ match I think would've had the potential to surpass his best one imo (Sting vs Cactus Jack). That WM X fight he had with Crush speaks loud how well Randy Savage would've done as a backstage brawler type wrestler.

#24 ·
It's a shame that Randy Savage was never used to help put over the New Generation in 1995-1996. He'd have been the ideal bridge between the Golden Era and the Attitude Era as he was edgy but cartoony, comical but also really passionate, psychotic but also fun. Savage would've been a great foil for Shawn Michaels and Diesel, Bret Hart and 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin in 1996. McMahon really missed a trick when he stopped using him in '93. Such a waste. Sometimes, I wonder where Vinne Mac's head really is!

#11 ·
As others have pointed out, Vince was already fazing him out in 1993. I doubt he would have been getting high-profile feuds in 1996. In many ways, WCW ended up being the place for the older guys to get a second lease. Vince was using Hogan, Macho, and Piper a lot less during their final years. He was looking for them to be "special attraction" performers.

#12 ·
Maybe if Savage stuck around in that "Babe Ruth of WWF role" Vince was always looking for at the time, maybe he wouldn't have screwed up his arm and kept working with it for half a year and done more steroids in WCW(because of WWFs steroids testing at the time) that really jacked up his body and could still have performed a lot longer than he did.

But, I could understand if he thought he still had a lot of fuel in the tank he would jump ship. Which was my biggest problem with WWE's whole "WCW stole our guys" story when they were being fazed out because of the New Generation era they were going for.

#13 ·
I think it was particularly a tough one for a guy like Randy who from most accounts was intensely neurotic but if ever someone used that to his advantage, it was Randy. It's a damn shame he never got one last dance in the WWE. He was such the total package. He had the size that McMahon and the like were such fanatics for. He had a high-flying and very intense working style that made for great matches and most importantly, he had such a wild, over-the-top persona that made for some of the best promos ever. It was unbelievable how a guy could have a gimmick that probably could exist nowhere but in the world of pro wrestling but he somehow made it so convincing. He was also kind of underrated in his commentary career. He could really hype up Monday Night Raw, every week.

#20 ·
Liz was hotter than nearly every diva even back then. Just imagining her in the Attitude Era....that would have been GOAT.

But by 1993/1994 they had Savage on the commentary team and I think they might have kept him there still had he stayed.

#26 ·
Savage would have been used like Bret Hart was. 1996 and 1997 Vince would have Macho back in the ring full time. I mean they were so desperate they faked the comebacks of Diesel and Razor lol. Warrior was even brought back in 1996.

It would have been something seeing Savage in there with Hart, HBK, Taker, Austin, Mankind, and Rock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.