Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been well documented that Steve Austin pitched the idea to Eric Bischoff about basically being the character he became and was told that it wouldn't draw and was fired via fed-ex, my question is if Bischoff had given Austin the chance and he became Stone Cold Steve Austin in WCW, would WWE still have won the war?

Also think of the possibility of match ups that never happened.

Austin vs. Hogan
Austin vs. Goldberg(who from memory was heel for a little bit of Austin's popularity.

What are peoples thoughts on if Austin being in WCW would have changed the war?

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
no. Hogan would have beat him clean on three straight PPVs as soon as he got over. i doubt he would have gotten over btw. remember standards and practices brother?

then Nash would have Jackknifed him off a stage or something.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
It's been well documented that Steve Austin pitched the idea to Eric Bischoff about basically being the character he became and was told that it wouldn't draw and was fired via fed-ex, my question is if Bischoff had given Austin the chance and he became Stone Cold Steve Austin in WCW, would WWE still have won the war?

Also think of the possibility of match ups that never happened.

Austin vs. Hogan
Austin vs. Goldberg(who from memory was heel for a little bit of Austin's popularity.

What are peoples thoughts on if Austin being in WCW would have changed the war?
No, WCW wasn't as risque as Attitude WWE for Austin to work.

Reactions: birthday_massacre

·
Premium Member
15,600 Posts
Like scrilla said, Hogan would have killed every bit of momentum Austin would have had. 3 straight PPV's, beat him in a tag match on Nitro and IF, keyword is IF, Austin got lucky, he might get a DQ victory at COTC but knowing Hogan, he would have beat him so fast, Jim Duggan's head would spin.

Just like he did to Austin's buddy, Brian Pillman, in early '96. Hogan tried to fuck that angle all the way up by wanting Pillman in that Uncensored '96 disaster and when Pillman refused, the Hogan crew buried him on the hotline.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Absolutely not. What really made Stone Cold Steve Austin was his feud with Bret Hart and the fact that he was feuding with a guy that was Cena in his time and the fans were getting sick of seeing him be a babyface. IMO he was way better in 1997 than in 1998

·
From parts unknown
23,273 Posts
"Go" ?

He didn't even know what he had let alone give him a "go."

From all I've read and heard, even the WWE took a long time to recognize what they had with SCSA.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
55,597 Posts
It wouldn't have worked in WCW. Austin wouldn't have been able to use the language he used, flip the bird at will, and guzzle down beers every week, like he did in the WWF.

And, as others have said, Hogan would have squashed him as soon as he got over, if he got over at all.

Getting released by WCW was the best thing that could have happened to Austin. He would still have to overcome the cheesiness of the Ringmaster gimmick, but he would, and Vince would finally wake up and realize where the product needed to go at that time. It worked out for all of them.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
I don't think it has to do anything with WCW not being risque enough, has to do with the real boss, Hogan, putting the kibosh on any rise to stardom he would've had.

WWF promoted him perfectly, WCW didn't have that ability outside of a few select cases like Sting, Goldberg, DDP.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The thing that really put Austin into a league of his own was his feud with Vince, so no I don't think it would have worked for him in WCW. Like Jim Cornette always says, the attitude era was a once in a lifetime happening, all the stars aligned perfectly for that generation, you had two of the biggest stars in wrestling history in Stone Cold and the Rock who were total packages and both got over in the same period. And simultaneously you also had one of the greatest heels of all time in Vince come to the fore.

WWE got incredibly lucky imo, once it all came together they handled it brilliantly of course, but the string of events leading to it were all a fluke, the fall out from Bret being screwed being the main one, if that hadn't have happened Vince would never have became the great heel he did.

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,505 Posts
no. Hogan would have beat him clean on three straight PPVs as soon as he got over. i doubt he would have gotten over btw. remember standards and practices brother?

then Nash would have Jackknifed him off a stage or something.
Pretty much. The NWO would have still been the same.

WCW had the perfect antihero vs NWO storyline lined up in Sting.

I don't see it being a hundredth as effective in WCW.
Exactly, looked how they fucked the hottest angle of the year (some say fucking decade) up.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
No. His resentment over being fire willed him into being the star he was. It gave him more attitude and his mic skills got a lot better. Plus he would have never gotten the same push.

·
Banned
48 Posts
First of all, the key ingredient that led to the birth of the Stone Cold character was Bishcoff firing him by phone and all the frustrations Austin took from that incident.

I don't know what was that idea you say Austin pitched to Eric but it definitely wasn't Stone Cold.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts