Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before the neck injury Austin was putting on 'wrestling' matches. His match with Bret at SS 96, his match with Shawn at KOTR 97 etc. He was more of a wrestler than a brawler but that neck injury turned all that around. He had to remove some moves from his moveset and he became more of a brawler type wrestler who would take his opponent all over the arena.

My question is:

would the Stone Cold character have been as effective?

how would Rock/HHH/Foley have been different?

·
Banned
6,752 Posts
It wouldn't have impacted his career at all. The Stine Cold character drew because of his character, his promo work and his well-written and well-booked feuds, not his technical in-ring prowess.

People put too much emphasis on the technical side of ring work and it never meant less than it did during the Attitude Era where you had garbage brawls and hardcore matches on the show all the time. I found being more of a brawler fit his character better anyway.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I agree in that it wouldn't have affected him. Yes, the brawler type suits his character more but after he had his neck surgery he had more "wrestling" classics with guys like Angle and Benoit. His submission match with Bret showed that he could brawl as well pre-injury so I think the style he wrestled would just based on the opponent he had.

·
Banned
13,572 Posts
We would of had him for years that's for sure

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.