Wrestling Forum banner

If Austin hadn't broken his neck ...

3666 Views 39 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  shattered_dreams
If Austin hadn't suffered the injuries that he did, do you think that he would still be wrestling today? It seemed that the only reason he left was because of his injuries; Austin seemed to genuinely enjoy what he was doing and there was still some mileage in him when he retired. If he had been well enough to continue in 2003, what do you think the rest of his career would have looked like? Do you think he would have been a main event superstar even now?

Although he was still hugely popular, his star position in WWE during 2002 was cut down significantly. He didn't main event Wrestlemania 18 (or even feature in the top couple of matches) and was treading water in feuds with Flair and Big Show. Do you think that this is a sign that WWE were tiring of him, or running out of ideas? The Attitude era was on its way out at this point and a new generation of superstars were getting pushed to the top, so what role would Austin have played? It seems that they didn't really know what to do with him in 2002, so how would the rest of his career played out?

I'd like to think that if he'd been well enough we may have got some dream matches from him 2003 - 2004; he'd have put Lesnar over at some point in a big money match, fought Goldberg and maybe even wrestled Hogan.

Any thoughts?
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
2,765 Posts
Would he still be wrestling today? Doubt it, he's 46 now.

Lets also remember it wasn't just his neck, but his back and his knees were shot as well. If he hadn't broken his neck he might have wrestled a couple more years, but that's just speculation. It also seems Austin was at peace with his decision to retire from wrestling when he did, moving onto film and TV projects.

Always fun to think of situations like these though. Just the other day I was wondering what WWE would look like today if guys like Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit hadn't died.

· Registered
199 Posts
Most definitely he would have still been wrestling. I actually give a lot of props to Austin for becoming the star he was even after that horrible neck injury. That could've ended anyone's career, but Austin starting hitting his stride after that. I don't know what they could've done with him after 2002, but that injury definitely cut his career length short.

· Banned
4,446 Posts
Let's see..he's 46 now...he would of stayed active definitely in his early 40s but he does have two daughters and he wasn't about to let them come up and just miss out on everything. So he would of gotten out in the few years back. I don't think he would of wanted to be a side maineventer either.

· Registered
9,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought so. I just didn't know if that had ever been substantiated.
I remember reading an interview with him in 2003 where he explained why he'd walked out the previous year. He said that he felt he wasn't being used properly and that the match with Lesnar shouldn't have been given away free on Raw with no hype; he felt that "Stone Cold" should be the final hurdle on Lesnar's rise to the top, not the first stepping stone.

He was also frustrated about his role at Wrestlemania 18. He felt that Scott Hall hadn't been with WWF long enough to deserve a match against him at Wrestlemania. He was disappointed that creative didn't have anything better for him and also felt that they weren't listening to his ideas. He had a point but I still think walking out was childish and egomaniacal. A Lesnar/Austin match could've been pretty awesome.

· Banned
452 Posts
His knees are shot but at least he doesn't have any acting delusions of grandeur like The Rock.

He would likely be heavily involved today if not for his injuries.

· Registered
496 Posts
his character wouldnt have survived the move to pg

anybody think hogan would still be wrestling if his movie career took off?

the rock , austin and hogan all wanted the same thing. Moving into movies meant they would still get a large wage but no more injuries, no more punishing schedules etc.

A relatively easy lifestyle for a pretty decent wage.

So if thats the alternative, then why would he stay?

· Something Good Can Work
4,095 Posts
I think he would've disappeared anyway. He left in 2002 over a booking dispute and his knees were wrecked. Also, I'm watching every show from 1999 at the moment and towards the end of the year The Rock was becoming more popular than Austin anyway. I'm not sure if he could've survived for three years in The Rock's shadow. Also his character was getting pretty stale and repetitive, hence the heel turn in 2001.

· Registered
23,570 Posts
After his notorious "pick up the ball and go home" moment I think he would have gone around the same time that he actually did. He might still wrestle one offs but I doubt he'd be full time active.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.