Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might have been discussed plenty of times here in the past. But since I am not sure whether such a thread still exists, in starting one.

The main issue I find with these midcard titles is with the lack of identity they have. And kayfabe wise, currently, it doesn't give many genuine reasons for the established wrestlers to fight for those.

So, these would be some changes that could be made to these title divisions.

1. Mandatory open challenge matches, every fortnight on TV. This makes it easily accessible compared to the World title, which could be a reason to compete for that and could add some surprises to the shows. And, the match should be contested with a 10 minute time limit, so that you have to beat the champion within that timeframe.

2. On PPVs, the titles are defended against pre determined contender through number one contender matches. Here, the advantage is that, there is no time limit and gives the challenger a better chance of winning.

Do you think these changes could make things better? Please share your ideas.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I like the open challenges, and bringing back King of the Ring would be cool. RAW and SmackDown could include early round tournament matches, and then the actual PPV event could have #1 contender shots for the Universal, WWE Heavyweight, Intercontinental, and U.S. championships in the finals.

In addition, I think it's really important to avoid rushing new call-ups from NXT straight to the big title scene. A guy like Finn Balor has nowhere to go but down when he comes out of the gate scorching to the Universal Championship. Actually, the same goes for guys like Reigns, Rollins, Wyatt, etc. Doesn't Vince remember guys like Austin, Rock, Triple H, etc. winning midcard titles before eventually winning the big crown? It's important in maintaining interest throughout a card. Right now, it's a mishmash. Who has which role? There is no defined pecking order or tier system in place, and it fucking sucks.

Reactions: MEMS and M.R.K

·
Premium Member
15,077 Posts
I wish they would reinstate time limits because there's so much you can do with that stipulation. I always revert back to how WCW booked their TV Title, especially when the heel was champion, because he would often be on the verge of losing but get saved by the time limit expiring. It portrays him as vulnerable, while protecting the challenger that doesn't win. Plus, you can make a storyline out of it where it leads to an extended time limit or even no time limit at all, as a sort of blow off to the program.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
There's a lot they could do with the mid card that they simply don't...

One of the problems tho, possibly the biggest problem here, is that the mid card and main event scene are just so fluid nowadays that they blend into one another.

Owens... universal champion, then reverts to the US title and is happy with that? Aj Styles, face of smackdown, is the #1 contender for the title, he's ok with this?
The list goes on and on, but the only believable person in the mid card to hold the title really was Miz and even he was a main event player for a while.

They need better division here. It should be a great honor to go from the mid card division to the main event, but without that distinction, it automatically makes the us/ic titles look bad. It's kind of ironic, since their being held by main event players, you'd think they'd look good, but instead it looks out of place.

·
Scarring the Night Sky
5,480 Posts
I think the midcard belts are now more relevant than they've ever been in a long time. They're doing a really solid job with them. Hope it continues.

·
Banned
4,811 Posts
Have Charlotte defeat Finn Bàlor for the Intercontinental Championship.

If AJ wins the US Championship tonight, he should issue open challenges. John Cena's reign was exciting because of it.

The midcards belt are in a better place than they were a few years ago. It's going to take time and consistency for us to care. My only qualm is that it's not used properly. Putting them on former world champs is lazy. You need to book them as stepping stone titles. Roman had no business winning the US title after winning the WWE title. Roman should have spent 2014/5 chasing the midcard belts. Everyone gets hotshotted to the world title. Wyatt should have won a midcard belt and then the world title. Jericho was a perennial IC contender until he won the undisputed championship two years after his debut. As was Benoit.

Finn has the same issue as Paige. His debut month was his peak (beating 2/3 of the Shield and becoming inaugural Universal champion). He has nowhere to go but to tread on the landslide.

Midcard titles need to be stepping stones. Corbin should not win MITB. He needs a midcard belt first. Samoa Joe should not be in the Universal title picture. He needs an IC belt.

It used to be obvious who was an IC contender and who was in the title picture. Now it's100% permeable and there isn't a sense of rank. Rollins and Bàlor lost a shot at the IC title but now they are rewarded with a shot to be the #1 contender for the Universal title? No logic. Whatsoever.

A lot of the problem lies with HHH. He likes frontloading his NXT pet projects with accolades:

Paige --> Wins Divas Championship on debut
KO --> Defeats Cena clean in his debut match
Bàlor --> Peaks within his first month
Bayely --> for her storyline, won the championship too fast

Now these people have nowhere to go but down. They should be building up from the ground. Not launching from the heighest point.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Putting it on top guys that arent wrestling for the world title is something I like. You can have guys like Styles and Rollins go back and forth between the midcard belts and the world title.

·
Registered
634 Posts
One of the biggest problems is the random championship matches they have on Raw, in the middle of the show with no build up. Title matches should have a build up, and they should always close the show. I don't care if Roman Reigns is tagging with John Cena against the Rock and Hulk Hogan, the Title should close the show.

Same goes for Tag Titles, and Women's titles.

·
Banned
19,285 Posts
They need designated midcarder to hold the belts.

Giving the mid card title to those they have shown as main eventer over the past few years doesnt bring prestige to the title, it's just a lazy way of making those 'main eventers' stay relevant by giving them a different belt.

There's a reason that Miz holding the IC title was the best mid card title reign in years.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Give the IC title to Miz.

Owens already made the US title great again. :trump2

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I think the first thing you have to do is make the Titles relevant again. As much as I loathe Cena, his "Open Invitation" championship run was something to look forward to every night. Add to it that Cena is one of the top guys in the company, and you have must-see TV.

Owens and Styles feuding over the US strap is meant to give it some sense of prestige. Miz had an excellent run as IC Champ because, not only is a great heel, but he put the belt over as being prestigious. Miz and Zigs fought over the belt and even had a 'retirement' match.

Once the prestige has been restored, THEN you can start to use the title as a means to start elevating other up and coming talent.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
US Title-Let KO be KO,Super Serious I am America's Champ KO is awful. Just let him do comedy and be a smart chicken shit heel.

IC Title-Make Ambrose a fighting champ who faces new competitors each week similiar to the Us Open challenge. End his feud with Miz,like KO with Sami they have great chemistry but a Miz-Ambrose match is getting close to ADR-Sheamus now.

·
Registered
593 Posts
the IC title needs much better booking around it tbh, Dean is great but he's been very badly booked with the belt, the feud with the Miz is fine cause they are both entertaining but it's just a rehash of what happened on SmackDown so assuming Miz wins he needs a good feud afterwards.

the US title is fine imo, Jericho was great with it, Owens is great with it and as long as whoever feuds with KO for it is good it should be fine imo

·
Registered
90 Posts
They can do all that, the biggest issue with the midcard titles and has been since the golden era of the IC title is- when was the last time you heard about it being someones dream to win the belt?
Make it important by telling us how important it is, give a guy like Nakamura for instance when coming to the main roster his first objective to win the IC title.

This all stands for the IC title, the US title to me has never been important in the WWE, has been beyond tainted and has just been there because they needed some more belts at the time of it's debut from WCW. I'd bring in a brand new midcard title, start it's lineage with someone like AJ, Rusev who can say they were the first ever. WWE Global Championship can be the name for the new midcard title that replaces the US title on Smackdown, give us a reason to believe this title is important.

Reactions: M.R.K
1 - 20 of 28 Posts