Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think one of the confusing things to new fans of New Japan is why the titles are called the IWGP instead of NJPW or New Japan titles. I believe IWGP stands for International Wrestling Grand Prix which is supposed to be a governing body similar to the NWA. If this is true with the pending expansion to the U.S. Why don't they their titles like this

IWGP World Champion-top Title around the world

New Japan Heavyweight Title

New Japan Jr. Heavyweight

New Japan Tag Team

US Heavyweight Title

US Jr. Heavyweight Title

US Tag Team Title

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
It's not about the amount of belts but how they treat them so I would keep that idea in mind. Also, they're not nor should they drop "IWGP." There's too much history there.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Can someone please explain to me the appeal of NJPW, I've watched it a few times and it's honestly got to be some of the most boring crap I've ever watched when it comes to wrestling. Not to annoy people but I just can't comprehend how people can be exited to watch it.

·
Premium Member
2,457 Posts
I think they can do that but in do time. Like Rainmaka said, it's not the amount of belts but how they're treated. I'm certain the U.S. belt in its early days will be elevated higher than the NEVER belt and Intercontinental belt in their early days.

Oh and they're never getting rid of the IWGP name.

·
I did nothing wrong
8,909 Posts
They already suck at handling belts at home, lets not give them more

I do believe their US promotion should be named something different than just NJPW USA if having it is a total must to them

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm not throwing away the IWGP title at all but having it as the top title over NJPW and G1 USA. Each promotion gets their own title but the IWGP is recognized by both as the thr top title.

It could also lead to say CMLL, ROH and others coming under the IWGP umbrella as they recognize the IWGP Heavyweight Champion but exact company having their own titles. I don't think it's much different then their working deals now except them officially recognizing it as the top prize.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also you're really only adding the 2 Jr Heavyweight Title to the mix as your combining the IC and Never title into the NJPW Heavyweight Title. You're getting rid of the 6-Man title and Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles and adding just regular titles to the mix.

Or better off just use the IWGP only for the World Title.

So moreless using the champs today it would be like

IWGP-Okada
NJPW-Tanahashi
G1 USA-Omega
NJPW Jr-Kushida
G1 USA Jr-Dragon Lee (example)
NJPW Tag-War Machine
G1 USA-Young Bucks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts