Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've got to get this off my chest, I am completley sick and tired of TNA giving so much emphasis to the Pope this year, when Samoa Joe who I believe is much better at talking (at least he is using his natural voice) and a completle beast in the ring when he wants to be.

Perhaps this Jarrett fued will change things, however, I definitley believe that Joe played 2nd fiddle to Pope for the majority of this year, when in fact it should of been the other way round.

I want to see Samoa Joe come back and kick someones ass, that's the whole point of his character. And Hopefuly he at least get's a TV Title run (when that Title actually becomes relevant).

·
Natasha Yi. WHAT A BABE.
7,731 Posts
Basically, yeah. Joe has always been a big guy, which isn't an issue, but now he's just really overweight. Watching his fat jiggle when he whooping those security guards wasn't pleasant.

·
The Dynasty
473 Posts
What actually can be done... is The Pope and Samoa Joe being pushed at the same time. Samoa Joe will look back on this time of his career as a test for him. He's proven himself in the past that he can sell great matches and there is a reason why the fans wanted to see Joe vs Angle when Angle first came. Because Joe has "it". But TNA continues to overlook it and randomly give the ball and take away the ball from Joe.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Steiner said it best.

If Joe lost a few pounds and went back to at least how he looked when he 1st came in then TNA might take him seriously but recently his matches have been nowhere near what the were in 05 and 06.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
It doesn't have to be either Joe or the Pope. I think Pope deserves the mic time he gets; he is over with the crowd and works them well. He is developing a tendency to become rather too verbose, which prevents him from building dramatic tension as much as he could if he were more succinct.

As for Joe, I think he's brought many of his problems upon himself. He has failed to address his weight issues and this has affected the way he has been utilised.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
It doesn't have to be either Joe or the Pope. I think Pope deserves the mic time he gets; he is over with the crowd and works them well. He is developing a tendency to become rather too verbose, which prevents him from building dramatic tension as much as he could if he were more succinct.

As for Joe, I think he's brought many of his problems upon himself. He has failed to address his weight issues and this has affected the way he has been utilised.
Its funny how the Pope had so much love on here not too long ago and now he has such a grip of haters. Pope can be a big star one day for TNA but of course they seem unaware of this.

And tbh Joe, TNAs been fuckin him up WAY before his weight issues.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Its funny how the Pope had so much love on here not too long ago and now he has such a grip of haters. Pope can be a big star one day for TNA but of course they seem unaware of this.

And tbh Joe, TNAs been fuckin him up WAY before his weight issues.
Agreed that Joe has been booked poorly for a long while.

I do think that the Pope must bear some responsibility for that. Of course, much is simply due to the usual ennui or capriciousness that accompanies being a wrestling fan. But I do think his manner on the mic has had an affect. He seems to be getting progressively more self-indulgent when given a chance to speak. I really hope that an older, wiser head like Flair notes this and gives him some advice about it. If he doesn't arrest it now it could damage his long-term prospects.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
The Pope will make much more money for TNA than Joe. That's why they're pushing him stronger.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Joe in his prime(LOL that's funny) did the biggest buyrates in TNA history. Pope right now is the biggest ratings flop in TNA by far,no arguments unless you a blind mark.

Joe is a better pro wrestler and Pope hasn't had one breakout match yet in his career.

Promos can be shady, Joe don't have to be over the top to cut a promo while Pope has to. A lot of people give Pope the edge but you can't compare the two. Even if you give the edge to Pope, that's only thing he has over Joe. Pope promos doesn't sell ppvs and I never see his name in the top merchandise sellers so his promos is not that effective.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Joe in his prime(LOL that's funny) did the biggest buyrates in TNA history. Pope right now is the biggest ratings flop in TNA by far,no arguments unless you a blind mark.

Joe is a better pro wrestler and Pope hasn't had one breakout match yet in his career.

Promos can be shady, Joe don't have to be over the top to cut a promo while Pope has to. A lot of people give Pope the edge but you can't compare the two. Even if you give the edge to Pope, that's only thing he has over Joe. Pope promos doesn't sell ppvs and I never see his name in the top merchandise sellers so his promos is not that effective.
I actually like Joe much more than Pope. But TNA has much more chances to succeed with The Black Preacher, Pimptastic Womenizer (or whatever Pope's gimmick is) than with fat yelling machine. The Pope is (and/or will be, if TNA is smart) much more attractive on real entertainment market than Joe, tbh.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Pope will make much more money for TNA than Joe. That's why they're pushing him stronger.
How so? When Joe headlined TNA they got their biggest PPV buy rate ever. The Pope is only over with the Impact zone cast members, heck I even remember hearing heel AJ getting cheered on more than the Pope at Lockdown lol

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I completley agree. TBH, I reckon Pope's promo skills are way OVERRATED by the IWC. I mean cmon, when you listen to him it's hard to take him seriously as someone who is passionatly angry, and not only that but I can barely understand what he says too.

Joe on the otherhard talks clearly, sounds like a machine when he's angry (if anyone disagrees, just watch this weeks reaction and you'll see how Joe's promos are good, even though it ain't so gimmicky like the Popes'), and you can tell that Joe's character reflects his real life personality, which makes him much more interesting. His Wrestling skills are much better than the Popes too.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
How so? When Joe headlined TNA they got their biggest PPV buy rate ever. The Pope is only over with the Impact zone cast members, heck I even remember hearing heel AJ getting cheered on more than the Pope at Lockdown lol
It was in 2006, when Joe was unstoppable monster without loss in TNA.

And yeah, who was his opponent? Kurt F'N Angle! His TNA PPV debut, it was the Clash Of The Titans, dream match of the decade. Angle/Joe sold the PPV, not Joe himself.

Btw, it used to be their biggest PPV buyrate ever. We don't know if it's still the case.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Pope main events LD, they get 3000 people in the attendance.

Joe main events LD, they get 5k and the highest TNA ppv buy rate ever.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
It was in 2006, when Joe was unstoppable monster without loss in TNA.

And yeah, who was his opponent? Kurt F'N Angle! His TNA PPV debut, it was the Clash Of The Titans, dream match of the decade. Angle/Joe sold the PPV, not Joe himself.

Btw, it used to be their biggest PPV buyrate ever. We don't know if it's still the case.
This is the same company that brags about house show attendance....

lol if TNA got a high buy rate they'd be bragging about it like no other...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts