Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,979 Posts
IWGP title will be defended on the 4th, and the IC belt will be defended the next night. WINNER TAKES ALL, SAMBO GEDO-SAN :banderas

I assume they do Jay vs Naito on the 4th, and the winner faces the winner of Kota/Okada. That would DRAW for sure. And I guess they could have the losers meet in a match on the 5th as a consolation prize.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
This feels like Ibushi is walking into a self-own.

NJPW announces that Night 2 will be headlines by Liger's retirement and they won't do title vs title match. Naito comes up to Ibushi and says look pal, I got an offer for you.

·
WF's AKB Fan
5,757 Posts
So you don't even have to win the G1 to get a match for the heavyweight title. Just win the IC belt.

Sounds stupid to me. Why try and win the G1 at all then?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
So you don't even have to win the G1 to get a match for the heavyweight title. Just win the IC belt.

Sounds stupid to me. Why try and win the G1 at all then?
Being a G1 winner for a long time was considered just as important as being a IWGP champ
It's only recently that said perception changed due to Okada making the G1 about main eventing WK

·
WF's AKB Fan
5,757 Posts
Being a G1 winner for a long time was considered just as important as being a IWGP champ
It's only recently that said perception changed due to Okada making the G1 about main eventing WK
I get it. But in my mind it's stupid, they changed the meaning of the G1 and now because they have a two night WK they need to sell out they pull this stunt.

Might just be me ranting because I hate unification matches/1 guy holding two singles titles.

If New Japan is starting to regret the number of titles they have they should instead look to unify their tag belts and retire the worthless six man titles.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Merging the WHC with IC would be perfect especially with US and British Heavyweight always being defended in Japan. Plus it fits with both Ibushi's and Naito's stories and potentially lead to Okada vs White grudge match on Night 2 as well.

It would also be unpredictable as I can totally see Ibushi defeating Okada for WHC on night 1 then losing to Naito on Night 2 in unification match. Would be fitting for Naito to walk away with both and Ibushi essentially losing it all, leading to a redemption arc in 2020.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Heavyweight and Jr. tag titles now are filling out two tours: WTL and Power Struggle. At this point unifying them would probably be bad for business. And I won't be surprised if next year they'll add somewhere another tournament to determine best trios team.

By comparison something like NEVER title really serves no purpose. Adding fourth singles tournament for it would also be an overkill in my opinion.

·
Registered
18,879 Posts
Utter madman.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Well, he did say it's a new era following his Climax victory. Might as well set the tone with wild possibilities.

I don't want the Climax to guarantee a WK main event anymore, as the tournament itself is big enough to establish wrestlers & limits the field, but I *get* it from the streamlined perspective. Used to it by now, but just throwing that out there. Things like the Goto 2008 win or the rise of babyface Makabe (among many other scenarios) will never happen anymore because of this and that's too bad.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I think the gimmick makes sense for a two night event. I do think that, unless Ibushi is winning at least one of the titles, it might be a mistake for Ibushi to be the one who lays it all out because he could just lose to Okada (or whoever) and that's it.

I'm into the idea, though, if just because they keep talking about the double belt thing and it would be a waste if it was all talk.

I don't want the Climax to guarantee a WK main event anymore, as the tournament itself is big enough to establish wrestlers & limits the field, but I *get* it from the streamlined perspective. Used to it by now, but just throwing that out there. Things like the Goto 2008 win or the rise of babyface Makabe (among many other scenarios) will never happen anymore because of this and that's too bad.
Honestly, I still have issues with even the Royal Rumble being used like this because it limits the possibilities of who can win and the stories you can tell.

It used to be a huge deal when you had dudes like Hogan and Savage set up their world title match as an entirely separate story that wasn't contingent on winning a title shot match, and when those contracts got signed, it was like an event in and of itself. I also liked the idea that the champ could win the Rumble. I think it's why I actually liked the recent Rumble where Reigns was defending the belt in it.

Of course, the G1 is a separate idea entirely, but since they co-opted the "winner gets a shot/briefcase" idea, it's still a similar concept.

Winning the G1 basically means you beat everyone (or the people who beat everyone else) which is a massive accomplishment in and of itself. That trophy still has value, and the briefcase/contract is just an extra bonus that comes along with it. Unfortunately, I don't think we can go back now.

·
Registered
914 Posts
well it is possible but the thing is they probably want to have Liger main event on the 5th so maybe they do Ibushi-Okada as the main event on the 4th and they then do Ibushi-Naito on the 5th as the second-to-last match

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
You could always say that wrestlers just say what they want since in NJPW they aren't really scripted, but then I'd assume that if NJPW didn't want those things then they wouldn't write about them on their twitter: https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1161834939555487744

Can't be sure if it is happening or not, but I think it is clear sign that NJPW continue to push this double champ idea.

·
Registered
24,456 Posts
The mystery of essentially a 2 night Wrestle Kingdom is the main reason why I didn't instantly write Naito off after the B Block Finals. Something just felt off and now it looks like what we predicted could happen.

Thing is though the 2 title matches the previous night would be rematches of the G1 Block Finals, but most likely with different winners. Not what I'm used to with NJPW, but with the a Champion vs. Champion match as a backdrop, it'll still work, if that's actually what they choose to do.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
So Naito still has a chance to win it all at the Tokyo Dome?

I think a mini tournament with Ibushi, Okada, Naito and White would be well received.

I think the gimmick makes sense for a two night event. I do think that, unless Ibushi is winning at least one of the titles, it might be a mistake for Ibushi to be the one who lays it all out because he could just lose to Okada (or whoever) and that's it.

I'm into the idea, though, if just because they keep talking about the double belt thing and it would be a waste if it was all talk.

Honestly, I still have issues with even the Royal Rumble being used like this because it limits the possibilities of who can win and the stories you can tell.

It used to be a huge deal when you had dudes like Hogan and Savage set up their world title match as an entirely separate story that wasn't contingent on winning a title shot match, and when those contracts got signed, it was like an event in and of itself. I also liked the idea that the champ could win the Rumble. I think it's why I actually liked the recent Rumble where Reigns was defending the belt in it.

Of course, the G1 is a separate idea entirely, but since they co-opted the "winner gets a shot/briefcase" idea, it's still a similar concept.

Winning the G1 basically means you beat everyone (or the people who beat everyone else) which is a massive accomplishment in and of itself. That trophy still has value, and the briefcase/contract is just an extra bonus that comes along with it. Unfortunately, I don't think we can go back now.
Do you think that this suggestion by Ibushi is a chance to go back to the way it used to be; winning the G1 Climax as a major accomplishment only?

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
If I had to pick one, I'd prefer that Ibushi win the HW title match. I'd be fine with him not winning the IC title match if that happens.

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,979 Posts
:naito is going to get his belt back, and when the show ends he'll be throwing that motherfucker into the sky :banderas

·
Registered
24,456 Posts
If I had to pick one, I'd prefer that Ibushi win the HW title match. I'd be fine with him not winning the IC title match if that happens.
If we go along with this mini tournament happening and if Naito is winning in the end, to me it has to be Okada vs. Naito.

They already spammed Naito vs. Ibushi this year, Okada vs. Naito is their most protected match, and Naito trying to beat Okada at WK is his biggest Demon to overcome right now.

·
A Lord of Cinder
1,411 Posts
This scenario writes itself. A 4 men, 3 matches, 2 titles, 1 double champion event at WrestleKingdom.

The marketing could be huge.

January 4th

9th match - IWGP Heavyweight Championship - Okada(c) vs Ibushi
8th match - IWGP Intercontinental Championship - Naito (c) vs White
7th match - Jushin's retirement

January 5th
9th match - IWGP Heavyweight & Intercontinental Championships - Okada (c) vs Naito (c)

----
You could have something with White and Ibushi for the 5th, or put them in separate matches, or maybe no matches at all and they can second other people (perhaps white seconds Kenta?)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts