Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

· Banned
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on another board but the WWE is boring and here are some of the things I would change:

Enough of the PG crap already, bring back the colorful characters, language, themes, fast paced matches, exciting divsions and belts, and full usage of the roster that made the Attitude era great.

Bring together RAW and Smackdown! altogether like it was before the "drafts" so we can create competition amongst the roster to bring their best every night and get rid of those stupid WCW belts, except the U.S. title.

- WWE Title for main eventers
- Intercontinental and U.S title for midcarders/rising stars/tweeners
- Bring back a Cruiserweight division headlined by Mysterio and Sin Cara
- Bring back the Hardcore title for the fans, and for the rest of the roster/jobbers to compete
- Bring back a real tag-team division with multiple teams and a unified belt, those were some of the best matches
- Same Womens/Divas title with more stripping/lingerie matches
- Interesting matches and feuds for those not competing for belts, get some more timed promos/vignettes backstage for everyone

This is alot to ask for since some of the older bookers/creative left or retired but it was nice when Vince had actual competition and he cared.

· Registered
136 Posts
PG is not the problem. Never was in all of wrestling history (which was mostly PG). Booking is, if the booking is bad the TV rating doesn't matter at all, it will always be bad.

Attitude Era is overrated, the roster was still under-utilized back then (most mid-carders were worthless, and even some upper-carders), and most titles were meaningless then anyway (just look at the way they kept jumping around from 1999 onwards).

Anyways, booking is always the problem. Good booking can hide almost anything in wrestling, be it character stuff, match meaning, match quality, everything.

· Premium Member
21,179 Posts
Why the hell does half the IWC thing the best thing for the WWE would be to try and relive the attitude era days? I grew up in that period and loved it but it just would never work in this day and age. The reason the PG era seems boring to us is because we grew up in a time where Drama > wrestling. Now it's just wrestling > Drama. All of those things you have mentioned don't really need to change. Especially bringing back the cruiser weight division ,hardcore title and ending the brand split (Shit load of money would be lost)

Like the guy above said, they just need to improve the booking a little bit, Spice up promos and such. PG era has done nothing wrong. It's just all down to booking.

· Registered
496 Posts
May as well just wait for it to get better bro.

· Premium Member
2,950 Posts
If wishes were fishes the world would be an ocean.

· Registered
1,932 Posts
Fuck the attitude era, I want something new that's current with today's times and mirrors pop culture. The Attitude Era mirrored the 90s perfectly. The Rock N Wrestling Connection mirrored the 80s. What do we have now? Some clown in a purple shirt.

I wrote an article on this topic on my site, which is too long to post, but here's an excerpt:

Remember when Pro Wrestling was "cool"?

The mere fact I have to preface this article that way should be like a fire alarm going off to those in charge of World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) and Total Non-Stop Action Wrestling (TNA) that something's terribly, terribly wrong here.

Pro Wrestling, honestly, hasn't been in favor of the mainstream in basically almost over a decade. There are plenty of hardcore fans (called "marks") of the art form out there, like myself, who will stick with it through out the highs and lows, but the "sport" is missing that all important "X-Factor" that brings in the most cherished demographic crucial to it's success -- the casual fan.

When speaking of the slow periods, industry analysts have long said that the wrestling business is cyclical; that it's major "boom periods" are dependent on the economy and numerous other factors outside of a company's control. I always thought that excuse was kind of a cop out for not acknowledging the true root of the problem -- the writing and presentation of the product in general is holding back it's own success in 2010 and beyond.

Both the programming of WWE and TNA, the only two nationally televised wrestling shows around (I'm leaving out Ring of Honor on purpose), fail to capture popular culture of today in a bottle and present it in either a satirical or remotely relatable manner. That's the problem, because the industry should be absolutely thriving in a bad economy like we're in now -- just like all other forms of escapism entertainment do. Don't get me wrong, WWE's doing really well with live event sales and merch., and TNA does alright for being a smaller, lesser known company and all, but it's clear money is being left on the table here. A lot of it.
Not much we can do unless people in charge stop being idiots.

· Registered
561 Posts
WOW man you must have all the answers I haven't seen a post like this in like 6 hours.

I.E...No one gives a shit about what you would change, what god damn quilifications do you have other then being a wrestling fan?

Do you have a creative writing background?
Do you have any buisness/marketing skills to attract investors with the creative storylines you put out?
Do you know anything about pop culture and the trends of America in terms of actual statistical analysis?
Do you have a personality that will make a god damn billionaire who has done this his whole life give a shit about what you have to say?
Do you have the personality and skills to actually make wrestlers want to do certain things and make them actually listen to some random guy who made an imaginary story line not factoring in any other factors that may be relevent at the time?

NO you don't. so you can keep wishing, but don't act like your the solution to a problem, especially when a problem may not even exist.

· DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
14,509 Posts
fast paced matches? a lot of the attitude era matches were awful if you look back on them. sure, they were mildly entertaining, but watching a guy hit his finisher, then his secondary finisher, then the other guys finisher, then his finisher again, then his new finisher he just made up on the spot, then his opponents secondary finisher, only to win with a roll-up, was really, really fucking stupid. and the midcard matches were really never anything to write home about.

and five-minute submissions are pretty hilariously awful too.

· Registered
5,005 Posts
PG is not the problem. Never was in all of wrestling history (which was mostly PG). Booking is, if the booking is bad the TV rating doesn't matter at all, it will always be bad.

Attitude Era is overrated, the roster was still under-utilized back then (most mid-carders were worthless, and even some upper-carders), and most titles were meaningless then anyway (just look at the way they kept jumping around from 1999 onwards).

Anyways, booking is always the problem. Good booking can hide almost anything in wrestling, be it character stuff, match meaning, match quality, everything.
I fully agree...
Living through the attitude era was fun but looking back at it the roster was so thin it was pathetic.
Watch some of the AE WMs most of them were shit. For instance WM 2000 (16) was probably the worst ever and that was an AE WM.
It was just more aggressive, fast paced, and loose but the talent lacked.

· Banned
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW man you must have all the answers I haven't seen a post like this in like 6 hours.

I.E...No one gives a shit about what you would change, what god damn quilifications do you have other then being a wrestling fan?

Do you have a creative writing background?
Do you have any buisness/marketing skills to attract investors with the creative storylines you put out?
Do you know anything about pop culture and the trends of America in terms of actual statistical analysis?
Do you have a personality that will make a god damn billionaire who has done this his whole life give a shit about what you have to say?
Do you have the personality and skills to actually make wrestlers want to do certain things and make them actually listen to some random guy who made an imaginary story line not factoring in any other factors that may be relevent at the time?

NO you don't. so you can keep wishing, but don't act like your the solution to a problem, especially when a problem may not even exist.
:lmao I'm a wrestling fan in a wrestling forum and I'm probably not the first person to post something like this. What has been bolded up there is the reason why I'm SMH and that's because many people are satisfied with this sub-par product.

If Vince really did care liked he used to when NWA/WCW were his major competition he alone would make wholesale changes to compensate to make the WWE better but since there's no one to challenge their ratings he's gotten lazy and handed over decision making to others that have let it slip.

There are many other reasons why the Attitude Era was great other than Austin and The Rock and others ae right about the booking among other things. The problem is its gotten to the point that everyone was frothing at the mouth hoping Sting would come back just so there would be some genuine excitement brought forth other than the same 'ol Cena superhero crap.

Based on your post you've either forgotten what a quality two hour RAW program looks like or you grew up with Cena as your hero.

Reactions: SludgeHammer

· Registered
1,226 Posts
A lot can't be changed back and probably shouldn't. Despite chair-shots and garbage cans to the head making for great television, it's just terrible for these guys and can't be brought back as a staple of most shows. With that said, they really need to:

-Pick up the pace in these matches. JoMo's running knee finisher would be legit with a little more urgency.

-Drop all the rest holds not targeting an injury. A Chin-lock? Don't even think about it.

-Bring back managers so someone like Swagger won't be buried because of lisp and dry undertone.

-Do something about having two equal, top titles. In anything at least pretending to be a competitive sport, there cannot be two #1's. The current system is as if the NFL ended the season after the AFC and NFC championships. It's still entertaining but not as much as it is with the Superbowl. One title must be definitively inferior to the other and more sought after.

· Registered
45 Posts

This, most people in the IWC is just using the PG as a scapegoat on how bad the product is today.. They seem to think that changing back to how it was during the attitude era can automatically turn everything bad into gold..

· Premium Member
21,179 Posts
:lmao I'm a wrestling fan in a wrestling forum and I'm probably not the first person to post something like this. What has been bolded up there is the reason why I'm SMH and that's because many people are satisfied with this sub-par product.

If Vince really did care liked he used to when NWA/WCW were his major competition he alone would make wholesale changes to compensate to make the WWE better but since there's no one to challenge their ratings he's gotten lazy and handed over decision making to others that have let it slip.

There are many other reasons why the Attitude Era was great other than Austin and The Rock and others ae right about the booking among other things. The problem is its gotten to the point that everyone was frothing at the mouth hoping Sting would come back just so there would be some genuine excitement brought forth other than the same 'ol Cena superhero crap.

Based on your post you've either forgotten what a quality two hour RAW program looks like or you grew up with Cena as your hero.
Two thing you need to understand really

1) The product seems poor and sub par to us because we are not the target audience. The kids are the target audience, and why? Because THAT is where the money is. We may see this product as crap but they love it to bit and as long as they love it to bits that is where the product will be leaned towards because it's good business.

2) Why should Vince focus on making the product the best it can be? Why should he really care? He knows that he could put a pile of crap out week in week out, spending as little money as possible and still make shit loads from it. Plus he has a monopoly over the entire industy all he needs to do is focus on making money and keep the company afloat.

Also if you feel the product is that bad and hasn't been for a very long time then why still watch?

Sometimes it seems as if people forget that WWE is a business which is not there just to please IWC.

· Banned
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The reason why you don't have the power to change things is because you think an entertainment company retreading stuff it did twelve years ago is a good idea.
Having fast paced exciting matches, interesting and colorful wrestlers, better utilization of the belts and roster, plus better booking is not just simply rehashing the Attitude Era.

Its called professional wrestling, and their job is to entertain. I started watching again after I took my sister to the KOTR RAW and the only time I saw the crowd get jacked up was when The Rock made his return. It seems like everything that goes into producing an entertaining two hour wrestling program is half-assed now that the WWE has no direct competition, and people's standards have adapted to that.

Where's the humor? The gimmicks that you don't forget? The great promos and backstage hijincks that much of the roster would perform? The great tag team matches and teams? Remember when Y2J debuted and interrupted The Rock? One of many classic moments that were well conceived and booked in.

· Childish Gambino Is #1
6,268 Posts
You just need some Charlie Sheen for that. Sorry, can't hook you up though :(
You gotta be careful with that stuff man! I've had to go to the plastic surgeons
to get my face fixed because it melted off!
I'm sure if I had children they would have wept over my exploded body. :eek:

Now, some people may be saying to themselves,
"hey man, that didn't add anything to the conversation". Well no.....it didn't.
I just wanted to post in today's "PG Sucks" thread.
We'll have a new one by tomorrow.8*D Yay!

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.