Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know the Attitude Era has lovers and haters. One thing the haters say is the matches were too short, even more formulaic, and had too many dirty finishes. That is debatable, but they were still a large part if not the centerpiece of the show.

I remember Good 'Ol JR saying something like this...

"This is going to be a knockdown, dragout war, ladies and gentleman! A real slobberknocker! And we aren't cutting away or going to a commercial until a winner is declared!"

I'd mark like a child if I heard that. Orton had two of the finest television matches of the year and they were buried by commercials. CM Punk and The Miz weren't really clicking, but the commercials certainly didn't help matters. Isn't there some way that they can schedule an 8 to 10 minute match without burying it in commercials?

This happens all time. People will get crushed by a 2 minute commercial break from a rest hold, and then get crushed by another outside of the ring spot...

"They are both hurt! They are both shook up! Who will get to his feet first and take control of this match?"

More commercials.

Maybe people are turning the channel because they don't want to see the Suits commercial or Covert Affairs commercial for the 4th time in 50 minutes? Just a thought.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
I agree. The commercials are hurting certain matches that have a possibility of being really good. I understand ad revenue and all that but it wouldn't kill to cut down on the commercials a bit. Just cut to commercial straight after the match is done and come back with a promo? Plus, I bet those commercials kill the so called "ratings" people talk about. If they aren't interested at first and you cut to commercial, they'll never come back to witness the match to begin with or they'll forget.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
matches on RAW/SD! are way down the priority ladder, they main objective of the shows is for storyline progression be it an in ring promo, a backstage segment, an attack on the ramp or how a match ends, the actual matches themselves are not important, the way the WWE see it is if you want to see uninterupted matches buy the PPV

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Definitely hate commercials in general. But what i hate the most is it is so predictable when they are going to cut to a commercial. But i agree i think it does ruin the match, and it will cause people to turn the channel.

·
Rat-a-....ing-tat.
1,171 Posts
I agree. Commercials kill the flow of any given match. It just comes to the point that a match's structure it's affected by it.

Heel/Face perform a high impact move.

Commercial.

Heel/Face performing a submission maneuver.

:no:

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
i post about this every week in the discussion threads lol i just dont get why they can't make the other commercial breaks longer instead of having them in between matches. And if you're trying to build up to PPV's, cutting away from matches so you forget what has happened already, doesnt do wonders for a feud. To me, its just killing the "A wrestling match, by itself, is story telling" theory, that professional wrestling has stood behind for so many years. i have always showed people who are new to wrestling, how matches can tell stories, how you can further understand a wrestlers character through his matches. Having commercials during matches, completely kills that.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Yeah, I really don't see the appeal of having commercials in the middle of matches. Does WWE get better ad revenue by promising companies to put their ads in the middle of matches? That must be the reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts