Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
People who say wrestling skills are not important don't seem to be looking at their wrestling history.

While its true that wrestling skills may not be the most guaranteed attribute to get you over initially, Id say IT IS probably the most guaranteed attribute to help you STAY OVER and be remembered as a true main event LEGEND. If you look at history it seems that 80% of the wrestlers that are considered legends were more often than not great workers and were all very well capable of putting on 4+ star matches.

Guys very capable of 4+ star matches.

Ric Flair
Ricky Steamboat
Randy Savage
Undertaker
Shawn Michaels
Bret Hart
Kurt Angle
Rey Mysterio
Chris Jericho
Chris Benoit
Eddie Guerrero
Rob Van Dam
Triple H
Edge
John Cena
Cm Punk

Now compare them to the quantity of guys who were mediocre in the ring or were much more on the entertainment side:

The Rock
Stone Cold
Andre the Giant
Hulk Hogan
Randy Orton
Batista
Kevin Nash
Goldberg
Big Show
Lex Luger

Now I know yes, guys like Stone Cold, the Rock and Hulk Hogan completely revolutionized the business and started whole new eras but if you were to ask me which group of guys id honestly rather watch over and over again 10 years from now, it would have to be the guys that are known as the better wrestlers. I mean what they offered, to me anyway, was alot more timeless and had more to do with the actual WRESTLING business compared to the 2 minute comedy Rock promos and Hulk Hogan raving on about his vitamans and milk and what not.

Now Im not taking away anything from those guys as they did heavily entertain me, Im just saying I feel if you truly want to be remembered in this business, and stand the test of time you almost always should to be great in the ring. This is the WRESTLING business after all, no matter how much Vince seems to want to deny it.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
Re: I think people underestimate the importance of in ring ability

You forget that this wrestling this is a BUSINESS and Hogan, Austin and Rock probably made more money than everyone in the top list combined.

·
Registered
6,095 Posts

I would put The Rock, Stone Cold, Randy Orton and possibly Big Show and Batista over RVD in terms of in-ring ability. Also, I wouldn't really consider Orton much of an entertainer. He's more of a no-nonsense kinda guy.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

You forget that this wrestling this is a BUSINESS and Hogan, Austin and Rock probably made more money than everyone in the top list combined.
So what money doesnt always = greater or greatest. Especially if your talking about in all aspects. If that were true than that means Cena is better than Ric Flair or Shawn Michaels cuz Cenas made more money than the 2 of them combined.

I would put The Rock, Stone Cold, Randy Orton and possibly Big Show and Batista over RVD in terms of in-ring ability. Also, I wouldn't really consider Orton much of an entertainer. He's more of a no-nonsense kinda guy.
Your telling me the rock, stone cold, Randy Orton, Batista, and BIG SHOW of all people can work a match and have more in ring ability than RVD?

Also I said guys that were MEDIOCRE in the ring OR great entertainers. Orton is mediocre in the ring to me.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

sry double post

·
Registered
17 Posts
John Cena does not have a 4 Star Match in him. Never has, never will. The two best in ring workers of this past 10 years are Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit. And the best in ring worker of all time is Flair. Not even close.

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
9,856 Posts
People absolutely underestimate the importance of in-ring ability. The latest internet fad, besides cocky heels of any kind, has been mic ability. And the biggest internet misconception for quite a while now has been the definition of "charisma."

Wrestling ability is the most important attribute among many attributes that are required to succeed in this business. Everything builds to the match, and without the match, nothing else has a purpose. Period.

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
I can't even think of a great RVD match. Maybe the first Elimination Chamber.... Maybe his match vs. Cena at One Night Stand?

Certainly none that are as good as Steve Austin vs. Bret Hart WMXII, Steve Austin vs. Shawn Michaels WMXIV, Steve Austin vs. The Rock WMXV, Austin vs. Rock WMXVII, The Rock vs. Mankind I Quit Match - Royal Rumble 1999

Uhh well I'm sure there were a bunch more.

·
Registered
11,840 Posts
^Edit: Check out RVD vs Jerry lyn and vs Eddie & Hardy

there is definatly balances that need to be had

but guys like pyro think that any one with out amazing mic skills is worthless

·
Registered
210 Posts

Also I said guys that were MEDIOCRE in the ring OR great entertainers. Orton is mediocre in the ring to me.
I highly disagree that Orton is mediocre in the ring. He may over exaggerate at times, but his wrestling has continually improved and he has a fantastic finisher.

·
Registered
11,840 Posts

I highly disagree that Orton is mediocre in the ring. He may over exaggerate at times, but his wrestling has continually improved and he has a fantastic finisher.
what was the last 4 star match orton had that wasn't with cena

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Ive been in too many Orton love/hate discussions dont want this to turn into Orton thread #66803

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
a bunch of them are but some of them are worth the hype the iron man match is one of them
I agree. I think cole saying over and over again "this is one of the greatest rivalries in WWE history" got to some people.

·
Registered
996 Posts
There are different interpretations for in-ring abilities.
The names like Angle, Benoit, Guerrero, Bret, Flair, HBK are and were all great technicians in the ring.
They will give you text book moves in every matches and add more flavor with their own signature moves, character
and charisma.
On the other hand, there are guys like Austin, Rock, Hogan and Cena who are not the greatest technicians in the
ring but their in-ring skills captured the most attention without a doubt.
Being perfectly sound in technical text book moves is not the only way to judge in-ring skills.
When you look at the past matches between Austin and Rock, or the famous match between Rock vs. Hogan at WM 18,
and if you ask today's midcarders to work exact same match with exact same moves, they'll never be able to create
the magic these legends created then.

I get your point. But I think there are different ways to judge a wrestler's in-ring skills.
If you said you like watching in-ring technicians, I wouldn't bring up an argument.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts