Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we all hark back to days gone by when wrestling was edgy and exciting. However I do not think this is purely because someone made a load of cock jokes or said "a$$". I think at the time wrestling was at its creative peak, there were an array of gimmicks and characters 90% of whom had some sort of storyline and relavence.

Today I find too many handicap matches or tag teams thrown together for no apparent reason and really only 2 storylines going on during each show. For the entrance themes being crap these days thread I posted this link for the brood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0q7PPu_NIg not only were there some great characters and factions, but listen to the commentary. JR and Jim Cornette are trying to describe what is going on later in the show as quickly as possible because there is so much happening! I don't think you get that today.

So I don't think its purely because Wrestling is not bloody or rude anymore. I think its simply because there is less competition and creatively the WWE is not challenged. PG-era could be exciting and could be fun in a different way (as it more or less was in the late 80's/early 90's), just going back to a different level of explicitness would not necessarily bring back the good times.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
Of course its not blood & cussing , or TNA would be thriving and dominating the wrestling world right now

People think it was better because as a wise man once said "Everythings cooler when you're 12"

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
i want it back in the sense everybody was doing something. now if youre not in the mainevent you go back and forth in stories and never seem to be going up or down just the status quo or you get a chance then crushed the next moment and back to nothing. it doesnt really have to be everyone, just whose on the show at this time needs to be doing something. hell have the champs not be on tv every once in awhile and have the midcard titles main event a show it did back in the day. if they did that seeing a guy at anytime would mean a lot more instead of the same guys in teh 2nd hrs of shows all the time. wwe is basically over saturating us with the main eventers and not showing the midcard enough

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
They want it back because they miss Austin and The Rock basically.
Does anyone really though?

Hes a guy who was USING the WWE as a stepping stone to become an actor , during that time all he did was run around like a pull-string doll saying "Jabroni" "CAN YOU SMEEEEELLLLalalALALLAAALLLLL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKIN?" & "IT DOESN'T MATTER!" , and in the ring wrestling at roughly the same level as the highly and often criticized John Cena. Then he ditched WWE in his prime.

Then , hes still constantly appearing on TV/Movies , how can you miss him if hes not really out of the spotlight?

Idk...

·
Registered
189 Posts
for me it wasnt about the cussing or the half nudity, hell during the attitude era is when i STOPPED watching. besides the great storylines and all that, it was about the atmosphere the fans brought to the event. if you watch clips of the pops SCSA or the rock or any major face from that era and people go friggin nuts when they come out. you would see everyone in the venue jump to there feet with arms in the air. and alot of them wernt 12 either. the pops were bigger, and made everything seem so much more exciting.

and for everyone whos gonna say "cena gets huge pops blah blah" i just dont see people at the event as excited as they were back then. i want the same quality writting and delivery that we had in the attitude era, not a carbon copy.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Yeah its not the cursing etc, to me the best way i can describe it, it was an energy/personality thing. Austin, Rock, Old HBK, HHH (ok that one is debatable), Jericho even lower card guys all had varying personalities, delivery on the mic, and seemed to put a lot of energy into their stuff. Just compare them to the current generation: Cena, Orton, All of Nexus, Miz, etc. Not that they aren't talented, but they are always straightfaced, they talk slowly, they are all extremely similar in a lot of ways. And I think it is partially because they are all homegrown talent and taught by the same people and partially because of the company direction, they probably don't want to say anything wrong, so they just do as they are told. And you can tell it is so robotic now. How much of austin and rock's good stuff was off the cuff and just them talking shit? I bet a lot.

Same thing with the matches, it is almost like a formula. Much more slow-paced. People talk shit about SPOTZZ!!I11!!1, and have been brainwashed by vince's 'return to psychology' bullshit, but to a lot of people it is just flat out visually boring.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I don't want the attitude era back. I already seen the additude era. I want something different and entertaining, and something that doesn't seem to be shoved down my throat.

·
Registered
65 Posts
for me it wasnt about the cussing or the half nudity, hell during the attitude era is when i STOPPED watching. besides the great storylines and all that, it was about the atmosphere the fans brought to the event. if you watch clips of the pops SCSA or the rock or any major face from that era and people go friggin nuts when they come out. you would see everyone in the venue jump to there feet with arms in the air. and alot of them wernt 12 either. the pops were bigger, and made everything seem so much more exciting.

and for everyone whos gonna say "cena gets huge pops blah blah" i just dont see people at the event as excited as they were back then. i want the same quality writting and delivery that we had in the attitude era, not a carbon copy.
This. I don't think it was the cussing or anything else...well the divas probably did help with the fun stuff but it was the excitement. The fans used to go crazy for the shows. The crowds are dead now. They need to find a way to get the crowds interested. Doesn't need to be the attitude era again but they need a spark.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
WWE can definitely be very entertaining today, but yet for some reason it isn't.

For example, i watched Survivor Series 95 in Classics on Demand. almost everyone in each match had a character, unlike today. in fact, let's do it based on the opening match:

Bob Holly: A racecar driver
Barry Horowitz: The ultimate underdog
Hakushi: The white angel
Marty Jannetty: The rocker
Skip: A workout guru
Zip: Same (They were a tag team, so you expect them to have the same gimmick)
Rad Radford: A heavy metal fan
1-2-3 Kid: The Corporate sell out

Now today: Randy Orton (The viper. How does that even describe anything? He's basically stone Cold Randy Orton), Wade Barrett (The leader of rookies), John Cena (he stands up for what's right) Kane (I would say "Big Red Machine" but he far from being a machine these days), Edge (He stands up for what's right), Layla/Michelle McCool (They're mean). Natalya (she stand ups for what's right)

Clearly the 1995 characters actually had characters. The attitude era had characters and the attitude era as a whole had a different way of doing television, which was more exciting. I want the attitude era back because I want some thought given to the product, even if it's 1/4 of what we got from the Attitude era cause it was that good.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Whether you loved or hated the attitude era, the thing that made it great was the fans, they went to the shows and made it exciting to watch, I mean they would cheer and go nuts for anything, Al Snow during 1998/1999 was more over than 75% of the roster today, and all he had was a head.

In today's WWE, if your not a main eventer, or not the top midcarders like Miz and ADR then your useless and no attention will be paid to you by creative, which results in little to no reaction from the crowd because it hard to get into a wrestler if no effort is made to push him.

If you watch any Raw or Smackdown from the attitude era and something from now, you will see a huge difference in the demographic and enthusiasm the audience had.

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts
People miss the booking and storylines of the Attitude Era most I think. WWE have shown that they can produce a show to the same quality but they only do it once in a blue moon. If they invested in the whole roster not just the main event and gave people actual storylines and reasons to be fighting (see Seamus/Morrison for a perfect example of this today) then I think a lot more people would be satisfied.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I liked the booking the best from that period.It made everyone look like a million bucks.Now some look descent,the others simply awful.

·
Fear, Fruity Pebbles, and Possum Piss
4,588 Posts
The Attitude Era was my favourite time in wrestling. But I definitely don't want it back. It was perfect for its time but it would be stale and silly if they tried to recreate it now.

The only thing I want is for WWE to take time developing every character. During the AE, the fans were wild every week because they wanted to see pretty much everyone on the roster. They had a 2-hour show each Monday and Thursday, just like they do now. But they managaed to give everyone screen time to develop stories and get everybody over.

I want to care about most of the wrestlers I see each week. But I think I only care about Jericho and The Undertaker.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts