Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cena has never served in the military, but he gets the imagery of having been a Marine.

I also just watched his Wrestlemania 26 entrance with the U.S. Air Force Honor Guard Drill Team. Honestly, I thought it was disgusting. The military shouldn't pay homage to John Cena, John Cena should pay homage to the military, first and foremost by acknowledging their presence, instead of running through them and then saluting the crowd.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
I agree. There is no need to use an honor guard as a prop for an entrance. But if their commanding officers didn't have a problem with it...meh..

The military is always looking for exposure for recruiting so I guess the WM26 entrance was a win-win.

·
Banned
404 Posts
President of the USA has never served day #1 in the military, yet he get full honors.
I'm a 14 year USMC vet including 3 combat tours, I don't have a problem with the respect paid to Cena.
He is well known to be military friendly, has the gung ho attitude typical of fighting men ,,, And most important of all, from the military's perspective, is good for recruiting.
Clean cut, athletic, motivated ,,, What more could you ask for ?
Its win/win, if you ask me. Military gets a high profile advocate who is ultra popular with the future young adults that the military wants, and Cena gets to feed his fantasy and strut around like hes in uniform.

I think the honors entrance was a bit overblown, and I think his salutes with every entrance are slightly goofy, and sometimes makes me wince ,,, But, once again, the potential he has got for recruiting, and the positive light he sheds on the service, cannot be under estimated, and certainly are not lost on the public relations units of all services, who are always on the lookout for celebs like Cena.
He probably has no equal, and is treated like a VIP because he is a VIP.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
I always thought he did used to be in the military...

if he didn't then why does he even have this military association to it? And tbh, I think he insults the military any time he salutes a crowd of children while wearing an ugly purple shirt. But with this in mind, the WM26 entrance is a bit of a slap in the face. "Come and make me look good, then I'll salute the children and you guys all fuck off"

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
President of the USA has never served day #1 in the military, yet he get full honors.
I'm a 14 year USMC vet including 3 combat tours, I don't have a problem with the respect paid to Cena.
He is well known to be military friendly, has the gung ho attitude typical of fighting men ,,, And most important of all, from the military's perspective, is good for recruiting.
Its win/win, if you ask me. Military gets a high profile advocate who is ultra popular with the future young adults that the military wants, and Cena gets to feed his fantasy and strut around like hes in uniform.

I think the honors entrance was a bit overblown, and I think his salutes with every entrance are slightly goofy ,,, But, once again, the potential he has got for recruiting, and the positive light he sheds on the service, cannot be under estimated, and certainly are not lost on the public relations units of all services, who are always on the lookout for celebs like Cena.
Well, I think our elected Commander in Chief is in a different place than a corporate-created prowrestling star. That honors entrance really was something else. Saluting? Maybe. But that honors entrance really made the men in uniform look like a prop. To me, it just felt really disrespectful, because the ideal soldier that the uniform represents is a far greater hero than John Cena could ever be.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The Cena hate is beyond annoying at this point...Seriously he "exploits" the military?

"he gets the imagery of having been a Marine"
He starred in a motion picture called "The Marine", had a gimmick change to that of a marine for a while and the rest is history. He pays alot of homage to the US Military and is very outspoken on his support of the US Military, they respect him, he respects them.

His Wrestlemania 26 entrance wasn't meant to disrespect the Military, if anything it gave the U.S. Air Force Honor Guard Drill Team exposure and highlight the good partnership that the WWE and the Military have with each other. They are big supporters of each other.

I don't like cena, he bores me and he's too goofy to my liking but people seem to go out of their way to find something to hate him on. What's next, Cena's trying to exploit EMINEM by being a rapper(not that EMINEM or Cena are on the same level when it comes to rapping)? How about, cena is exploiting the Breakfast Cereal industry for eating Fruity Pebbles at Elimination chamber solely for "entertaining the fans"?

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,508 Posts
I don't see whats so bad about it. The WWE works with USO and the National Guard and they give lots of tickets to military members. Are you going to complain about Sargent Slaughter too? "CAMEL CLUTCH! I CALL BULLSHIT! HE NEVER CLUTCHED NO GODDAMNED CAMELS!"

Suspend your disbelief, sonny boy. The product because better and your butt will hurt a lot less.
:p

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
The Cena hate is beyond annoying at this point...Seriously he "exploits" the military?

"he gets the imagery of having been a Marine"
He starred in a motion picture called "The Marine", had a gimmick change to that of a marine for a while and the rest is history. He pays alot of homage to the US Military and is very outspoken on his support of the US Military, they respect him, he respects them.

His Wrestlemania 26 entrance wasn't meant to disrespect the Military, if anything it gave the U.S. Air Force Honor Guard Drill Team exposure and highlight the good partnership that the WWE and the Military have with each other. They are big supporters of each other.

I don't like cena, he bores me and he's too goofy to my liking but people seem to go out of their way to find something to hate him on. What's next, Cena's trying to exploit EMINEM by being a rapper(not that EMINEM or Cena are on the same level when it comes to rapping)? How about, cena is exploiting the Breakfast Cereal industry for eating Fruity Pebbles at Elimination chamber solely for "entertaining the fans"?

Not even in the same solar system...lol

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
So if he is exploiting the military by a small gesture, what is Slaughter doing?

·
     
3,533 Posts
Cena has never served in the military, but he gets the imagery of having been a Marine.

I also just watched his Wrestlemania 26 entrance with the U.S. Air Force Honor Guard Drill Team. Honestly, I thought it was disgusting. The military shouldn't pay homage to John Cena, John Cena should pay homage to the military, first and foremost by acknowledging their presence, instead of running through them and then saluting the crowd.
That's what he's doing...

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Didn't he get kicked out?

·
Career Ender!
422 Posts
Cena is exploiting people who are allergic to purple shirts, it makes me sick...........

LoLZ Rocky comes back, rips into Cena a bit and the Cena hate multiplies million fold!

lmao makes me laugh!

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
This is like saying Gangrel exploits vampires.

It's a gimmick. And he does it in a respectful manner, so I fail to see anything wrong with it.

·
The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla
5,108 Posts
Agreed. The Cena haters are just getting desperate now and are finding anything to moan about with what Cena does. Its a dam gimmick for crying out loud. First he cant wrestle, then its only the kids that cheer for him, now its too much use of the military.
Give the guy a break. jheeze

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Cena is the modern day Hulk Hogan, so obviously he is going to have quite a patriotic gimmick, which naturally these days involves respecting the military. Of all the things to complain about Cena, this really isnt one of them.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.