Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean come on.. the guy had unbridled intensity and raw power when he was an athlete in the WWE/WCW. Not only that, he was also one of the top 50 college football players in the nation who got recruited by NFL.

Not only was he very very strong, but he was also scary in size and pretty big. Goldberg also displayed superb agility and stamina in the ring, and he rarely gassed out.

What Goldberg was missing during his prime was that he had no techniques or wrestling skills to complete his entire character..

Otherwise, Goldberg as a wrestler would've put on very very very good matches if he had the passion for it and actually learned how to wrestle from the beginning.

Goldberg was held back when it came to people exposing his weakness, which were wrestling skills or combat techniques

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
He's lucky he was as big as he was..... luckily the fans smarten up and didn't give a crap about him come 2000

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's lucky he was as big as he was..... luckily the fans smarten up and didn't give a crap about him come 2000
cause they knew that he couldn't keep squashing people forever. they wanted to see him wrestle a match that was longer than 3 minutes.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
cause they knew that he couldn't keep squashing people forever. they wanted to see him wrestle a match that was longer than 3 minutes.

And he couldn't.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Goldberg was the late 90's answer to the Ultimate Warrior... Raw power, momentum from the get go, short squash matches, dominant streak & over as fuck with the crowd. But once all that was stripped away, there was very little talent underneath to provide either of their respective careers with any sort of longevity.

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
Goldberg was actually a good worker. Sure, he wasn't the most "technical" wrestler in the world but than again, he didn't have to be. People paid to see him destroy his opponents which got Goldberg's character over in WCW. He played his character well and wrestled exactly how his character was; a machine that couldn't be stopped.

The problem was Goldberg's lack of passion. He was able to put on a good match if he wanted to, which basically called for selling for his opponents and working with a logical structure to a match outside of squashes and Goldberg more or less didn't want to do neither. Goldberg has quite a few great matches that lasted over 2 minutes. Many people forget about his awesome match against Scott Steiner at WCW Fall Brawl 2000. Easily his best match and also WCW's MOTYC in 2000.

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,462 Posts
Goldberg was actually a good worker. Sure, he wasn't the most "technical" wrestler in the world but than again, he didn't have to be. People paid to see him destroy his opponents which got Goldberg's character over in WCW. He played his character well and wrestled exactly how his character was; a machine that couldn't be stopped.

The problem was Goldberg's lack of passion. He was able to put on a good match if he wanted to, which basically called for selling for his opponents and working with a logical structure to a match outside of squashes and Goldberg more or less didn't want to do neither. Goldberg has actually quite a few great matches that lasted over 2 minutes. Many people forget about his awesome match against Scott Steiner at WCW Fall Brawl 2000. Easily his best match and also WCW's MOTYC in 2000.
vs DDP @ Halloween Havoc '98 too, fucking awesome.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
He was fuckin awesome back in the day. So intense, so beastly, so fuckin huge, and don't get me started on his spear. Haha.

I feel like when he left in 2004, he still had a good run in him.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Goldberg got facelocked by Jericho in a backstage fight, and I heard he had trouble breaking out of it.

Goldberg should've taken classes on amateur wrestling like Lesnar and Lashley did. Otherwise, Goldberg could've fucked Jericho up and put on better matches with Brock Lesnar.

·
Banned
1,219 Posts
When i think on his intense and exciting ring work ... I have to go to the next question..Who the hell have the idea to give him so many squash matches?

He have the worst booked matches of all time.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
He could not have gotten a stronger push. Once he got pinned that was it and no-one cared after

·
Aggressively White
6,279 Posts
Goldberg got facelocked by Jericho in a backstage fight, and I heard he had trouble breaking out of it.

Goldberg should've taken classes on amateur wrestling like Lesnar and Lashley did. Otherwise, Goldberg could've fucked Jericho up and put on better matches with Brock Lesnar.
He only fought Lesnar once, and as both were leaving, they just didn't care about their match. Goldberg could have had the skills of Undertaker, Shawn Michaels and Adrian Neville put together, but if both guys refuse to touch each other the match sucks.

·
Banned
8,180 Posts
So OP basically said "if Goldberg had talent, he'd be talented"?

Ok.

He wasn't good at his niche and his entire match catalogue is probably no longer than three standard HBK matches. His best match is arguably vs DDP at Halloween Havoc and it's noticeably average.

·
Premium Member
15,365 Posts
I mean come on.. the guy had unbridled intensity and raw power when he was an athlete in the WWE/WCW. Not only that, he was also one of the top 50 college football players in the nation who got recruited by NFL.
I'm no genius but Goldberg got drafted in the 11th round. To break it down even more for you, that means he was drafted 302 overall. To break it down even more for you, there was about 50 defensive linemen taken ahead of Goldberg. So, how was he one of the top 50 college football players in the nation who got "recruited" by the NFL, when he wasn't even a top 50 D-linemen? And would a top 50 guy get drafted AFTER 301 other guys?

On topic, your OP reads as:

"If Goldberg would have been better, he could have been better".

That statement could be made for EVERYBODY, regarding EVERYTHING they do. Because they could be better if they were better, right?

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm no genius but Goldberg got drafted in the 11th round. To break it down even more for you, that means he was drafted 302 overall. To break it down even more for you, there was about 50 defensive linemen taken ahead of Goldberg. So, how was he one of the top 50 college football players in the nation who got "recruited" by the NFL, when he wasn't even a top 50 D-linemen? And would a top 50 guy get drafted AFTER 301 other guys?

On topic, your OP reads as:

"If Goldberg would have been better, he could have been better".

That statement could be made for EVERYBODY, regarding EVERYTHING they do. Because they could be better if they were better, right?
Because he was still listed as one of the top 50s when he got out of college according to the book.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts