Wrestling Forum banner

I think a couple of veteran stars would help this company a lot.

5053 Views 95 Replies 43 Participants Last post by  The Wood
Their roster is completely unknown and most of their midcard is garbage, so it feels like these dudes can't get over on their own, also they are taking their time to build their roster and their storylines, so most of their young future top stars will take some time to make some impact and to be main event-ready.

All of this combination results in them having zero star power apart from Moxley and Jericho for a good amount of time until they figure out
a way to create their original stars, which is the biggest reason half of the dynamite shows feel kind of bland and empty, they have no dept.

They can get a couple of already made stars and throw em them to make this show easier to digest to casuals and old fans, and also
to help their young core to get over... I am not saying they should get a bunch of ex WWE and put them in the spotlight like TNA, just
use a couple of them to help make the show more watchable. would help this show a lot right now.
Reactions: BigCy and Chan Hung
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

· Banned
1,853 Posts
They already have a couple of great workers like PAC, Hangman Page, Kenny Omega, Jake Hager. Add to that Midcard Moxley and Midcard Cody, and that's who you build your show around.

Unlike TNA of the 2000s, AEW doesn't have the luxury of landing Sting, Kurt Angle, Booker T, Christian, Jeff Hardy, RVD, and Mr Kennedy, as well as Kevin Nash and Scott Steiner.

Unlike the 90s, not "that many" stars were made in the 2010s(by the only major company of the 2010s in WWE). And TNA made like THREE marketable big names/stars between 2004-2014- Joe, Styles and Roode. And they're all currently in WWE.

So who does AEW hire? What veterans? What stars?

· KNEE DA PEOPLE
3,155 Posts
I agree. They need some big old names just for that draw at the moment. I love the roster, love AEW and what they're doing. Kenny is stalling a bit, the redemption storyline is running out of steam whilst Mox feuds with Jericho. Unless they're building Mox to beat Jericho and Kenny redeems himself by beating Mox for the title.

14,626 Posts
The veterans (who could actually move the needle) are either signed to WWE in non wrestling roles or have simply retired from wrestling. People who come to mind include Punk and Cena.

and veteran signing is temporary. Think Hogan WCW and Hogan TNA. Very temporary. AEW need to build a name and image of their own. I just wish we got Cesaro and Russo in AEW.

· Registered
33,465 Posts
Its hard for them to sign some top names. I mean Tommy Dreamer isn't exactly one of them. I mean there may always be Alberto Del Rio but...nah. lol

As for any semi okay indy talent, they should try: Jacob Fatu, Von Erichs, Teddy Hart, Brian Cage...

· Registered
15,021 Posts
Austin Aries and Ryback are both available. Ryback flat out accused HHH of being on steroids his whole career so I don't think he'll be heading back there and is interested in wrestling again and was pretty over and hot at his peak. Aries is a lesser known name as he never had a big WWE run, but he's a pro who's been around with major ROH and TNA/Impact runs and could work up and down the card - hard to get along with, but it's a business not a potluck.

Ryback is probably the biggest brand name available right now - though he might not be able to use that name as wwe owns the copyright and challenging for it again. Just like Cody has the last name Rhodes he cannot use it on wrestling merch and the like because wwe owns the word/name for wrestling purposes. Ryback can call himself Ryback for interviews and the like, but he legally can't market it on merch for wrestling purposes or use it in a wrestling capacity.

The "it's your own name" isn't a complete end around just like if your last name was Ford you wouldn't be allowed to sell home made cars with that name because it was your last name.

· Registered
4,929 Posts
Who? They added Hager who I think will start wrestling soon. They could add Ryback once he's healthy or Luke Harper on March 8th. The thing is WWE is too powerful these days. They have all everyone either under contract or legend deals.

· Registered
4,929 Posts
Austin Aries and Ryback are both available. Ryback flat out accused HHH of being on steroids his whole career so I don't think he'll be heading back there and is interested in wrestling again and was pretty over and hot at his peak. Aries is a lesser known name as he never had a big WWE run, but he's a pro who's been around with major ROH and TNA/Impact runs and could work up and down the card - hard to get along with, but it's a business not a potluck.

Ryback is probably the biggest brand name available right now - though he might not be able to use that name as wwe owns the copyright and challenging for it again. Just like Cody has the last name Rhodes he cannot use it on wrestling merch and the like because wwe owns the word/name for wrestling purposes. Ryback can call himself Ryback for interviews and the like, but he legally can't market it on merch for wrestling purposes or use it in a wrestling capacity.

The "it's your own name" isn't a complete end around just like if your last name was Ford you wouldn't be allowed to sell home made cars with that name because it was your last name.
Didn't Ryback legally change his name to Ryback tho?

· Registered
15,021 Posts
Another name I would loath but is a brand name - Bully Ray. He's with RoH right now, but their contracts usually not longer than a year.

Matt Hardy is out in mere months - though if he's signed by AEW I'm probably out because I hate the broken stuff, and he'll bring in his trashbag wife I'm sure as well.

· Registered
657 Posts
I agree with the OP. They've got some really good young talent but until they get those guys fully developed, it would really help to have some guys who have some major name recognition. They already have some great ones like Moxley and Jericho and Awesome Kong, but they need more.

I think Ryback would be a great signing and it would be an absolute coup if they could get Killer Kross. Brian Cage would be good too.

· Registered
16,627 Posts
The roster is good though, you dont need people that are stars. Wwe once did it and so can another promotion.

What we need is for the AEW booking to let the talent continue to develop characters and story lines.so far its constantly back and forth so we're not getting a chance to get excited about guys and see them turn into something good

· Registered
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another name I would loath but is a brand name - Bully Ray. He's with RoH right now, but their contracts usually not longer than a year.

Matt Hardy is out in mere months - though if he's signed by AEW I'm probably out because I hate the broken stuff, and he'll bring in his trashbag wife I'm sure as well.
If they could sign the dudle boyz that would help their tag division a lot.

What about RVD? Dude would make people watch immediately.

· Registered
33,465 Posts

Bully Ray would be cool, not sure if he's too old. His TNA stint as a heel was fucking cool

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.