Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
THE CORPOLUTIONSTRY
1,994 Posts
Re: I seriosuly don't get this Cedric push

So, no answer then? Cool.

The writing for EVERYONE has been shit for years. This hasn't stopped other people from being entertaining.
No, there was definitely an answer, you just actually had to absorb the words and peer between the letters a little bit.

And yes, quite frankly, it has stopped a great number of people from being entertaining. Jon Moxley immediately springs to mind, but you and I both know how many people have been held back by WWE's poor creative.

If the bar for those worthy of a mid-card push is now "got over in spite of bad writing," or in Cedric's case, "got over in spite of never having a real story, substantial promo segment, or even marquee match," I think you may as well just declare everyone unworthy. Very, very few people have managed it in the last decade, and I can't believe I even have to type that.

And I still disagree with the core indictment, because I like Cedric and find him very entertaining.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts

I don't have much of a problem with Cedric himself. I have a problem that there is too many guys like Cedric. Cedric doesn't really stand out to me.

·
★ Liverpool FC ★
2,460 Posts

Seems like most people don't mind him but he doesn't stand out like people have mentioned here. I have to agree. I don't mind seeing a match including Cedric but an actual angle? ..Nah

Reactions: Ace

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,420 Posts

There is no difference between Cedric, Ricochet and Ali except for skin color and hair. They're all uninteresting charisma vacuums who all do virtually the same moves and fail to stand out from one another.

·
HEADBANGA
22,431 Posts

There is no difference between Cedric, Ricochet and Ali except for skin color and hair. They're all uninteresting charisma vacuums who all do virtually the same moves and fail to stand out from one another.
Ali- Former police officer who wants to break down prejudices in how people view each other by being the world champion.

Ricochet - He is a literal superhero. He does superhuman things.

Cedric - I'll agree that he needs something that can tether him to the audience. I'll put that blame on WWE because they haven't tried anything other than him being the "Heart of 205 Live" or the "Brock Lesnar of 205 Live".

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,420 Posts

Ali- Former police officer who wants to break down prejudices in how people view each other by being the world champion.

Ricochet - He is a literal superhero. He does superhuman things.

You're a fan, that's cool. We'll have to agree to disagree on these guys.

·
HEADBANGA
22,431 Posts

You're a fan, that's cool. We'll have to agree to disagree on these guys.
They all have something to bring to the table... which is exciting in-ring action. The character stuff can be added on as needed. More Alexanders and less Elias'.

·
I'm too busy, faded in Japan with the crew
10,398 Posts

If you don't like it, you can change the channel. :austin4

·
Registered
733 Posts

Cedric is really getting disrespected here. Is he as good as Ricochet, no is he very good in his own right yes. The answer why he's getting a push is that Heyman likes him however I can see from the comments that many are already shitting on Heyman's direction.

·
Registered
24,411 Posts

He's a young guy, he's athletic, can do some cool things in the ring, can work with anybody, is getting over with his performances in the ring. So, I don't see the problem here.

We want new stars to get a chance. Cedric is getting it and making the most of it.

He's different than guys like Ali and Ricochet in both size and style and has his own separate story separate from both of those guys. A character is not defined by how well he talks or how he dresses. He's defined by the experiences he goes through and how he reacts to them.

Also to me it's wrong to think "I don't know why this guy is getting this push, THIS guy should get this push." Like I saw some people mention EC3. So, let's experiment with that. Lets say we give EC3 the exact same push right now, which by the way, very little of it has come from the microphone. Could he have a great match with Drew like Cedric did? Could he have given Corbin possibly his best match ever?

Probably not. It's fine to want your guys pushed, but I don't think it's right to discredit the success of others with the idea that someone else could do as well in the exact same spot. You can have a guy like Cedric get over like he is now while still pushing a guy like EC3. So to put that on Cedric is just projecting, in my eyes.

·
Registered
147 Posts

Looking at the success of NXT, it is not really strange that guys like Alexander, Ricochet and Ali are getting pushed so hard.
NXT has been a spotfest for years (and it still is) and has been a huge success. Flippy-guys like mentioned above are ideal
to set up a lot of spots in one match, cause of their agility and speed.

Do I agree? No, not at all. But this seems to be a fair argument.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts

I really don't see what there is to "get" about the push.
Cedric is a good wrestler, has passable mic skills, a really cool looking finisher and has shown he can hang with the best.

Maybe you specifically don't like him for some reason, but it's hard to deny that he's worthy of a push given the empirical data.

·
The Empire will Reign again
17,147 Posts

Yeah I honestly don't see the appeal. I'd rather see Mojo Rawley get pushed.
I don't know if this is a backhanded compliment to Mojo or if you actually would want to see Mojo get a push. I want to see him get pushed, he's a very solid promo, strong and athletic with a good look, I think working with some veterans can make him at least serviceable in-ring at which point I think he'll be a very solid mid carder.

·
Registered
860 Posts

I don't know if this is a backhanded compliment to Mojo or if you actually would want to see Mojo get a push. I want to see him get pushed, he's a very solid promo, strong and athletic with a good look, I think working with some veterans can make him at least serviceable in-ring at which point I think he'll be a very solid mid carder.
I legitimately want to see him get pushed. Reminds me of a white, more charismatic Monty Brown/Marcus Cor Von. Could easily use The Pounce as his finisher with his football background, it's also one of the coolest finishers in my eyes.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,524 Posts
He can do flips and thats the only thing the WWE cares about anymore.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Backstage News On Cedric Alexander's WWE RAW Push

Cedric Alexander is set to return home to Charlotte, North Carolina on Sunday to challenge WWE United States Champion AJ Styles at WWE's Clash of Champions pay-per-view, but he might have to wait for his big title reign to kick off.

Cedric is one of the talents that RAW Executive Director Paul Heyman is high up on. The Wrestling Observer Newsletter adds that Heyman reportedly wants to give Cedric a "slow push" to the top of the ladder. Apparently Heyman has slow pushes to "the top rung" planned for a few different RAW Superstars.

There's no word yet on what WWE has planned for Cedric at Sunday's pay-per-view and past that, but it's believed his push will continue, even if he takes the loss to Styles.

Cedric took to Instagram this morning and hyped Sunday's homecoming at Clash of Champions.

"This Sunday I come home and become @WWE United States Champion! #AgeOfAlexander #EbonyLion #SecondToNone #QueenCitysFavoriteSon," Cedric wrote, as seen in the Instagram post below.

Source: https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2019/09/backstage-news-on-cedric-alexander-wwe-raw-push-659588/

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,524 Posts
Why is Heyman only getting behind guys who can only do flips and not much else? Ricochet and Cedric, wheres the variety? Whats happened in the business to where the people in charge now dont care one single bit about character work, promo work or charisma? Whys it only flipping / spot monkey ability that gets anyone anywhere?

61 - 80 of 95 Posts