Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
17,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I watched the end of Raw again - and they clearly show Gabriel closest to the camera not raising his arm when Punk raised his. (happened about 2 times, then he finally raised his arm)

IMO they are going to take him on a storyline where he is caught between Punk and Wade loyalty wise which will culminate in a face turn when he just decides he cannot work with either anymore

or am I reaching?

*EDIT* I just thought I should mention how weak the GTS looked - either Punk didn't land it right or Cena took it wrong.

Not that it matters - I'm just saying

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Yeah I also noticed that. And he always takes SO long before he does his 450 Splash.. Maybe he's mentally preparing himself, or maybe just hesitating; but it seems not right. I'm all for it, because I'm tired of Nexus.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Looked much more like a "it was live flub" than an act of defiance against Punk or the other members of Nexus. It could happen in general, a rift between Punk and Wade and then sides being picked, but I would say it's reaching at this point.

·
Registered
17,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looked much more like a "it was live flub" than an act of defiance against Punk or the other members of Nexus. It could happen in general, a rift between Punk and Wade and then sides being picked, but I would say it's reaching at this point.
I also thought it was a botch first - until I saw when Punk came out Gabe was in the middle - then he specifically went around the back of Otunga (I think) and Slater (definitely) to go stand closest to the main camera

If it wasn't significant he would have just stayed where he was.

Maybe I am overthinking - it's the holidays and I have nothing better to do :)

EDIT: They even had a shot of all their backs - hands all up, Gabe is just chillin' like a villain with his hands at his sides

·
Rated PG
3,485 Posts
I noticed that straight away and I to had the same thought. That or the dumb prick didnt realise all the guys next to him had their hands raised.

Also Cena cant sell so I blame him for the GTS.

·
Registered
17,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I noticed that straight away and I to had the same thought. That or the dumb prick didnt realise all the guys next to him had their hands raised.

Surely that is impossible... Well, he is from Cape Town, so maybe not THAT impossible - maybe he'll be the new Mr 420

Now that I think about it, he does remind me a lot of RVD

·
2,775 Posts
Yeah, I noticed this too. It could be turned into a storyline or a botch, to me it looked like he was messing up, but on second thought it could very well be a storyline.

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
Can it somehow have to do with South Africa and the whole apartheid thing back in the day? Remember the Nation of Domination used the same salute.

·
Registered
17,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can it somehow have to do with South Africa and the whole apartheid thing back in the day? Remember the Nation of Domination used the same salute.
nah - that's old school stuff - more than 16 yrs ago.

Will be too heavy involving something like that in a nexus storyline

Gabe looks like he is racist against razors, and that's about it :)

·
KO
5,758 Posts
I think he's out of place as a heel, so I'm all for it. He just can't stand out as a douche, while as a face, it's a whole different story. He has everything, so I hope he succeeds.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The only good heel thing he does is that smirk to the camera before he hits the 450. That package they showed on NXT of the latest attack and the original merged was pretty good.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It was more than likely a flub, but I can see them working it into a future storyline, if you noticed past segments with Nexus he has appeared to be one of Wades fav if not his fav member of the group. They could have Wade and Gabriel break away from the group

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I'm sure he just forgot to raise his hand that's all
Yeah I think it's this.
Hell, they had to turn the camera over to Punk about two times until Gabriel had his hand raised.

Regardless, Gabriel's awesome.

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
9,856 Posts
I think you're just reading into it too much, OP.

But about Gabriel... it's funny, because when he debuted, like everyone else on here I thought this guy is just a natural face, period. He's gonna be hugely popular with all of the demographics due to his ability to wrestle, he's gonna be a big merchandise seller, all that good stuff. And then I realized that this is a big guy we're talking about. People initially call him a high flyer, but he's a solid 225 pounds and works a ground game with bigger opponents. So thanks to his size, he can adapt to whoever's in the ring with him, which gives him main event potential. Next up, people said there's no way this guy will make it with his lack of mic ability. He responds to that by cutting a great promo after his NXT elimination and from that point forward, hasn't cut a bad promo since. So much for the no mic ability argument. The one last blockade? Surely, surely this guy can't play a heel.

And then Nexus happened.

We've seen that he can play on both sides of the fence, and do it very well. So, now we know just how versatile this guy is.

Now, I'm almost to the point where I don't want him to turn face just yet, unless that face turn is involved in a BIG angle. The crowd wants him to turn face, and I think that's something WWE should take advantage of in a big way, and not just a Hart Dynasty sweep-under-the-rug sort of way. Let this guy continue to play a heel. He's doing so good at it as it is. Let him continue to show that he's more than just a high-flyer, because he's shown that in droves. I think too many people have classified him as a high-flyer simply because of his finisher, and not enough people have paid attention to what he can really do in the ring. By keeping him a heel, that keeps him on the ground -- in a way, you can almost bet that WWE would ask him to go in the air more as a face than he might be wanting to do, because he probably doesn't want that classification, either. In the WWE, if you're classified as a high-flyer, you're classified as a mid-carder. Justin Gabriel is capable of so much more than that.

I see no rush for a face turn. Let him continue to show what he can do as a heel, and then, when the timing is right, pull the trigger and make the face turn a big deal. If they take advantage of this guy, he can do great things for a long time for the company. He's already one of the best in-ring workers the company has to offer. There's a lot of promise.

·
The Man
15,344 Posts
I'm pretty sure he just forgot to raise his hand. As for the 'waiting on the turnbuckle' thing, I thought he was obviously building suspense. I don't see any of them turning face any time soon.

·
STILL learning kayfabe
413 Posts
I can see gabriel turn but not soon because i guess we have to see the after-part of CM Punk joining Nexus. Even if he doesn't turn face, he can still put on a really good segment. (Haven't seen him fight since they lost the championships)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

lolz, so true.

I hope OP is right about this, Gabriel is easily the best in ring worker in Nexus. I look forward to him receiving a massive push and feuding with WWE's top stars (if that happens).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts