Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
C Mac G
5,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think Women's wrestling has a place on the show, absolutely, It's evident I love Hikaru Shida, however, something I've been noticing on social media, is the desire for the Women to just be given more time, and I just don't agree with that at this point.

I want the Women to be represented based on their talent level, and how compelling they are, not because "Oh we need to get women on the show" just for the sake of having Women on the show for some sort of agenda.

Their male talent are just far more compelling than the females(it's been only 7 weeks, but still), there needs to be significant time each week blocked out for Jericho, Moxley, Cody, MJF every week, and then you have other acts like Luchasarus, Hangman, PAC and Darby that have gotten really over and deserve TV time as well.

I'm sorry, but it just doesn't make sense for there to be more Britt Baker promos, or Bea Priestley matches to sacrifice the aforementioned PAC matches, or Chris Jericho promos, or Luchasarus doing insane shit. Give the women the 15 minutes they have been getting, let's see if they can slowly get more over, and become more interesting characters and we can re-visit them getting more time. It's a 2 hour show and the over acts deserve the TV time.

I'm worried that AEW is suddenly going to be like "We need 40 minutes of Women's programming this week", because at this point, that would be a SIGNIFICANT detriment to the show.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
I hope they dont fall for that one
The assholes bitching on internet will always bitch. Aew knows and understand women wrestling isnt as much of a draw as men's. It's the primary reason why you didnt see any aew official immedialty react to the bitching yet.
They have a project with the women division, they want to make of it what wcw did with the lightweight.

The people bitching are just looking for anything to strike them, they should take their time no matter how long it is and build their division. They already got someone like riho super over both with the crowd and the tv audience.
Do just that, wwe tried to go all out on it and it was ugly....

·
Registered
10,945 Posts
Simple solution - every planned minute of television or internet promo time planned for Shawn Spears - give that television time/match/promo to the women's division.

The wrestlers need exposure in order to then gain fan interest. They need television time as an investment.

Riho was the wrong choice - Jericho is all over television as World Champ, SCU finding their footing in multiple angles now - Riho is non-existant outside of a stand alone match here or there. And when the champ is invisible, it's hard to build the undercard or make people care about them.

I know folks here will hate it - but I'd put the title on Brandi. Use that backlash to fake character hate and get people to care about the title. Keep Brandi out of the ring though - have her declare Kong as her "champion" to fight her fights - that would get legit character heat.

·
Registered
22,935 Posts
I just want them to eventually do something interesting with them. The men and tag teams, whether you like the stories they are in or not, have had engaging and thought provoking storylines.

So far with the women their most interesting story has been Bea vs. Britt which is fine but not lighting the world on fire either. Even their Women's Champion didn't have a true story going into Full Gear. They just paired her with Sakura who she has history with, but even that they didn't really tap into.

They're bringing in some good names and all and they've started this new thing with Kong. But as of right now I just don't have an interest in their storylines. That needs to change eventually.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
6,763 Posts
Most definitely. PAC doesn't need to be losing TV time for the sake of Joshi wrestling. AEW is all about pleasing the fans right now though, so don't be surprised if all the people complaining about women's air time on the Internet gets to them at some point. Their women's division is nowhere close to the point where they should be featured more. Especially when WWE already signed up all the best women in the business.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
reporters bring it up because its a dick head reporter to nip pick away questions to the person you're reporting to get good. they will do what they have bene doing and we wont see a over amount

·
Baby It's Violence
7,115 Posts
They shouldn't try to force feed the idea of the division being a big deal by over-featuring them, but they do have some women who can form a good core like Shanna, Riho, Shida, Jaime Hayter, and others. They get a good amount of time now, they just need to feature the ones who should be featured properly.

You can use AEW Dark to give some of the others time to work on things.

·
C Mac G
5,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Most definitely. PAC doesn't need to be losing TV time for the sake of Joshi wrestling. AEW is all about pleasing the fans right now though, so don't be surprised if all the people complaining about women's air time on the Internet gets to them at some point. Their women's division is nowhere close to the point where they should be featured more. Especially when WWE already signed up all the best women in the business.
Like, I honestly wonder if people think before they speak and can comprehend the fact that giving more TV time to the Emi Sakura's and Bea Priestleys of the world means that TV time is taken away from other people.

It's not like Becky Lynch came on to the scene and was an integral role of RAW or Smackdown after 6-7 weeks of being on TV. And with AEW, getting the women over is going to be even harder because it's literally no names fighting each other.

It's much easier to get an MJF over when he's interacting with Jericho/Cody, but getting Emi Sakura over interacting with Riho? Damn near impossible.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The people complaining on twitter will be the same people who don't watch AEW. They will read it on there and then react without context. I saw one comment and bear in mind, it was only one comment. The woman said "How come the women are mostly appearing on AEW Dark". "Why has Jericho not appeared on AEW Dark"?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The real reason that the women haven't featured on Dynamite so far is that most of them are not well known. It takes time to get an audience used to the roster. Kong will feature heavily going forward and they are going to build up Shida with Riho being a mainstay as champion.

Patience is something that some fans have lost over the years.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
If people want to support women's wrestling they should attend female only promotions events, buy women's wrestlers merchandise, etc. rather than complaining about it on the internet.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
6,763 Posts
Like, I honestly wonder if people think before they speak and can comprehend the fact that giving more TV time to the Emi Sakura's and Bea Priestleys of the world means that TV time is taken away from other people.

It's not like Becky Lynch came on to the scene and was an integral role of RAW or Smackdown after 6-7 weeks of being on TV. And with AEW, getting the women over is going to be even harder because it's literally no names fighting each other.

It's much easier to get an MJF over when he's interacting with Jericho/Cody, but getting Emi Sakura over interacting with Riho? Damn near impossible.
Lol people just care about who they want to see, that's all it is. It doesn't matter what's best for the business to them, they only care about their favorites being on TV. Especially when most casuals don't give a shit about ratings. That and the fact that they just want to criticize for the sake of criticizing. Social media is a helluva drug, especially when you can hide behind the computer.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts