Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone remember when this match meant something. They still try to play it up like saying the words "I Quit" are a monstrous blow to a wrestlers ego and they have to live some great shame or something. I hate that.. The march means nothing now, it's essentially a submission match with words. Remember when it was the ultimate feud ender? The ultimate, desperate struggle for career and livelihood? Just a complaint. Anyone know why they ruined it?

Reactions: jodox

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
The last feud that had an I Quit match that meant something was Rey Mysterio vs. Chavo Guerrero, which I might add was a very good match for a telivision show. And also Cena/JBL. AFterwards, they were just random thrown together gimmick matches for the hell of it, hoping to get buyrates and viewers up.

·
Banned
2,080 Posts
They didnt ruin it. Its just that they are limited now. With Blood and chair shots banned, "I quit" matches mean nothing.

JBL or john cena screaming "I quit" with a blood covered face helps give you that feeling you described in your Op. The Miz doing it because of a 5 sec STF submission obviously seems like a joke.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The booking ruined it. In todays WWE, you won't ever hear top faces saying I quit, which takes away the element of surprise. And the heels get booked so weak, that they can't really take punishment. See Cena vs Miz OTL 2011. All Cena had to do was put on the fucking STF, and there the Miz was screaming.
Now, if they had heels, who they actually booked correctly, these matches would once again be cool. And, it kinda ruins it that they can't blade anymore. But anyway, I don't want to see Cena anywhere near an I quit match, especially involving titles, regardless of anything that happens. That guy just never loses these matches.

·
Banned
175 Posts
Cena/Miz and Cena/Batista both sucked, completely ruined it for me. But an I Quit match is only as good as the wrestlers who are competing in it. Cena isn't really good in these matches. Just because you have a submission finisher doesn't mean you are any good at these type of matches.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
Cena/Miz and Cena/Batista both sucked, completely ruined it for me. But an I Quit match is only as good as the wrestlers who are competing in it. Cena isn't really good in these matches. Just because you have a submission finisher doesn't mean you are any good at these type of matches.
Actually, Cena was in an excellent match of this type against JBL before he got drafted to Raw in 2005. An excellent back and forth rather than a monotonous 20 minute beat-down of him only to brush off all the punishment and slap on the STF to make opponent quit.

I agree with it being watered down now, though. And the only guy booked in these matches now is Cena and as usual, his matches always go the same way. Very different to 13 years ago when Mankind and The Rock had this stipulation and neither were willing to quit, so Rock just recorded Foley's voice and used it to win.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
It was rarely seen and when it was it was a spectacle.

Speaking of I Quit matches, isn't it that time of year where Cena participates in his annual I Quit match and puts his career on the line? Any week now.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Cena ruined this concept, in the past it was a formula to draw extra buys on a brutal match like that, now it's just a predictable beatdown. Cena/Miz was one of the worst matches in wrestling history. You had all-time great/memorable matches like Flair/Funk and especially Rock/Mankind but this gimmick is not fitting in the PG era.

·
Banned
175 Posts
Actually, Cena was in an excellent match of this type against JBL before he got drafted to Raw in 2005. An excellent back and forth rather than a monotonous 20 minute beat-down of him only to brush off all the punishment and slap on the STF to make opponent quit.

I agree with it being watered down now, though. And the only guy booked in these matches now is Cena and as usual, his matches always go the same way. Very different to 13 years ago when Mankind and The Rock had this stipulation and neither were willing to quit, so Rock just recorded Foley's voice and used it to win.
Well, with Foley you're getting a guy who can take more punishment than any other wrestler, that's a whole new level of violence we're talking about. There isn't anyone on the roster now who can take what Foley took in that match or countless others. Plus the Rock was an awesome heel and knew how to work a crowd. I did forget about Cena/JBL, that was actually a pretty solid match.

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
I do miss when "I Quit" matches meant something. The problem is the booking in recent memory has really tarnished the stipulation. I also don't think it has helped when we try to compare "I Quit" matches of today to Attitude Era/Rutheless Agression Era "I Quit" matches of the past - because they simiply can't get to the same level. I'm not even saying that there needs to be a blood bath to make an "I Quit" match mean something, but the characters of today's WWE can't be as violent as they used to be...and that impacts the matches.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
A little off topic, but I used to think I Quit matches were essentially retirement matches, where if you lose, you're done with the company.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
"I Quit" matches always favor babyfaces. How many babyfaces actually lose "I Quit" matches? I can only think of one (rey mysterio).

With that said, I just don't like them. I think it can produce good matches but I dislike the match type. Its basically a submission match to me. I stopped watching them after Flair/Foley (which is awesome by the way).

·
Registered
208 Posts
It's down to the overall product, if you aren't emotionally invested in the characters and such you won't care, they'll bring em' back with some face GM reinstating them, it gets all too predictable especially if you can tell the finish just by looking at the wrestlers involved.

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,703 Posts
It's basically a platform for Cena now to be showcased as the Superman he is. You know he'll never lose this kind of match, unless the finish from Royal Rumble '99 is recycled. And it's probably something that'll only be used in Cena's feuds, because God forbid anyone else be positioned as someone with the "heart, guts and determination" not to quit.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Superman gimmick wrestlers never work well in I Quit matches because nobody really thinks they are going to lose, and they never do.

Flair vs Funk was a superb I Quit match because it was believable that either guy could win. Most figured Flair would win because he was face at the time, but he was never a Superman. If Funk did get the submission it would have been a surprise, but not a world changing shocker. I'm actually surprised they didn't have Funk take the title short term from Flair in those days.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
The match means nothing now, it's essentially a submission match with words.
It always was, technically. Bear in mind theres no rule that says in a submission match you have to use a proper submission hold. Its exactly the same as a TLC match being functionally identical to a standard ladder match.

The biggest problem, as others have already pointed out, is that the only person who is regularly booked in the I Quit match now is Cena. Bearing in mind his whole "I will not quit" thing, you can kind of see whats going to happen. His matches against Orton and Miz in this format were basically jokes that pissed all over the other guys credibility. WWE need to get creative with the finish for this type of match again, and then it would become worth watching.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, if they reinstated the "you lose, you leave" stipulation it would be worth watching is my point.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
i remember I QUIT use to be a submission, then tazz made the tazmission and the tap was made.
the thing the kills the I QUIT match is cena is usally in them, kinda see whats gonna happen.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts