Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Ross Report...

https://www.pwpodcasts.com/2017/12/16/written-podcast-recap-ross-report-200th-episode-w-jeremy-borash-impact-management-changes-john-hennigan-q-plus-major-surprise-guest/

Question: What is Johnny’s opinion between the six sided ring and the four sided ring

John says that there are minor differences but he much prefers the four sided ring. Fans are watching what’s going on inside the ring and feels the six sided ring seems unnecessary. Jim agrees that the six sided ring confuses him and says that wrestling should be essentially mindless entertainment (in the best way possible). John says wrestling should be escapism and the six sided ring can cause confusion to that. Jim adds that if you have to stop and process an escapism feel then what you’re doing is not working.
Agreed, its doing nothing for the company its not different from WWE or "preserving their identity".

·
Scarring the Night Sky
5,409 Posts
Yeah, 4-sided ring is the best. The wrestlers prefer it and I think I can say most of the audience does too. The six-sided ring is so unattractive.

·
Intoner
6,589 Posts
I like 6 sides.

Reactions: AliZugelTheSavage

·
IRAN #1
2,441 Posts
There's not a wrestler in the world that wouldn't say that.. Wrestling takes place in a 4 sided ring, it's not the fucking UFC.

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,620 Posts
There's not a wrestler in the world that wouldn't say that.. Wrestling takes place in a 4 sided ring, it's not the fucking UFC.
UFC has 8 sides, not 6.

Yeah, it's too small anyway.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I don't mind the 6 sided ring. I do think it does give a little visual difference compared to other North American companies. I've read wrestlers saying they prefer the 4 sided ring doesn't hurt as much to bump on. To me it isn't a big deal either way. It doesn't change my perspective all that much as a fan.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
I don't mind either way. But I do think that the reason the 4 side ring is preferred is because its the industry standard. If wrestling had always used the 6 side ring and TNA decided to use a 4 sided one, we'd have the same complaints just reversed.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Anyone knows the reason why they started using six-sided ring in the first place?
jeff Jarrett idea, He wanted to stand out. When they first switched to 6 sides i thought it was so good and in fact the early days the 6 sided ring always looked bigger compared to these days.Maybe because they had smaller turnbuckles.

But over all honestly it is absolutely pointless now.It worked at the time because they knew how to use it and also advertise it as there brand and why its different. It just does not fit the new brand and owners at all . They really should be 4 sides again

Reactions: MrFlash

·
★ Liverpool FC ★
2,460 Posts
The first time I saw a TNA ring was the last one as well..

·
Registered
979 Posts
jeff Jarrett idea, He wanted to stand out. When they first switched to 6 sides i thought it was so good and in fact the early days the 6 sided ring always looked bigger compared to these days.Maybe because they had smaller turnbuckles.

But over all honestly it is absolutely pointless now.It worked at the time because they knew how to use it and also advertise it as there brand and why its different. It just does not fit the new brand and owners at all . They really should be 4 sides again
Totally agree. When Eric and Hogan came in and changed the ring back to 4 sides i was pissed, but looking now the ring does seem to needlessly complicate match's, particularly tag team. If the wrestlers prefer 4 sides then management should take notice and change it.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Even though the six sided ring was present for both time the company was good, if they want to change it back to a 4 sided ring and would be more comfortable with that, then that’s ok.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Add in the fact that the six-sides ring is far more rigid and can cause injuries easier, and you have a lot of reasons why the four sided ring should be used. A lot of TNA wrestlers, including Austin Aries, were angry when they let fans decide what ring should be used, because of the extra dangers posed by the six-sided ring.

Reactions: Buster Cannon

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Yeah, it was "unique" the first time you saw it but it lost its luster very quickly, not to mention it was easier to get injured. Wrestling was born with 4 sides and it'll live on with 4 sides. Hulk Hogan cutting a shoot promo on the 6 sides is one of TNA's finer moments :lol

I don't remember the exact quote but it seemed to be along the lines of "You had the six-sided ring and look where that got you!"

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Based on appearance I prefer the 6 sided ring. However wrestlers like Austin Aries don't like it, and claim it is stiffer for taking bumps. Based on that, they should go with a traditional ring. If the bumps were the same, I'd prefer 6 sides. To me it's always felt like a step up. When I first watched Impact, I thought the 6 sided ring was an edge over other feds. Kind of ridiculous they went back to 6 sides because Double J was allegedly going with a 6 sided ring for GFW, well before the dumpster fire in 2017.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
I saw the title and came in to see what source was being used as I saw something on Twitter about this saying that Impact and Drake said they were pushing for a 4 sided ring but Drake said he had not said anything.

Personally I could go either way. I do like the 6 because it is different and what I saw when I first started watching but I understand the tradition and over all use of a 4 sided. All I know is when I see talk of people being confused or whatever by the 6 sided I just realize I underestimated how dumb some fans are.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
I saw the title and came in to see what source was being used as I saw something on Twitter about this saying that Impact and Drake said they were pushing for a 4 sided ring but Drake said he had not said anything.

Personally I could go either way. I do like the 6 because it is different and what I saw when I first started watching but I understand the tradition and over all use of a 4 sided. All I know is when I see talk of people being confused or whatever by the 6 sided I just realize I underestimated how dumb some fans are.
it no longer is different with the current owners. It will not gain back that special feel. They need to go back to 4 sides

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
it no longer is different with the current owners. It will not gain back that special feel. They need to go back to 4 sides
It will feel special to new fans who have never seen it. Not saying that is enough reason to stick with it but just something they need to consider. Part of the big picture. To me the biggest reason I think they will go back to 4 is with working with other companies they can use their rings and it would not be wise to keep going from 6 to 4 and back again.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts