Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this on a Yahoo question, and found it interesting.

Link: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AveuOTCrZEWDXX_JR8mC4j9MxQt.;_ylv=3?qid=20101109142122AA02sGT

The Last 5 Royal Rumble Matches 05-10

The Last Person Eliminated Still has World Title Match at WrestleMania

2005 Batista Wins Eliminating Cena, Cena gets WWE Title Shot

2006 Rey Mysterio Wins, Eliminating Orton, Orton gets WHC Shot

2007 Undertaker Wins Eliminating HBK, HBK Gets WWE Title Shot.

2008 John Cena Wins, Eliminating Triple H, Triple H gets a WWE Title Shot.

2009 Randy Orton Wins Eliminating Triple H, Triple H wins The WWE Title, and faces Orton

2010 Edge Wins, Eliminating Cena, Cena Gets WWE Title Shot

Do you think WWE Wants this to happen, or is it just a bunch of Coincidences
It seems, whoever is eliminated is involved in the WM main event? Thoughts?

·
Banned
5,666 Posts
Edge didn't eliminate Cena last, Cena was the champion at the time. I think Batista was eliminated last which would also follow the pattern.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Well,the last two are almost always up and coming stars of the UPM or established Main Event superstars. I think it's a coincidence really...

·
Registered
957 Posts
I think it fits since there are 2 World Titles. I mean come on, the guy that wins gets a shot at one title and who gets a shot at the other? The person who was eliminated 2 seconds into the match? No, the 2nd to last guy in the ring. Makes sense.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
It's just a coincidence really but at the same time they always have the last few eliminated as key players.

·
#StayClassyWF
1,082 Posts
Edge didn't eliminate Cena last, Cena was the champion at the time. I think Batista was eliminated last which would also follow the pattern.
Edge did eliminate Cena last, Cena only won the title at EC from Sheamus in the Chamber before Batista cashed in his "Vince's-Backup-Title-Shot" and became WWE Champion.

(Go to 2:26 I think)

·
Premium Member
4,216 Posts
Edit:^

Sheamus was champion at the time, Cena won the Raw elimination chamber but immediately lost the belt in an impromptu match to Batista.

·
Registered
970 Posts
More than anything, that just shows that in recent years there have been the same old suspects surviving until the end as they are the only ones who could realistically win it and keep the crowd excited; and of course the same old suspects getting into the main events at Wrestlemania.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
More than anything, that just shows that in recent years there have been the same old suspects surviving until the end as they are the only ones who could realistically win it and keep the crowd excited; and of course the same old suspects getting into the main events at Wrestlemania.
True. I'd love to see a mid-carder win it out of nowhere and be pushed to ME status right then and there. I looked up past RR winners, and don't believe that's happened? I'd say Benoit in 04, but I really forgot if he was main eventing or not back then.

·
Registered
395 Posts
True. I'd love to see a mid-carder win it out of nowhere and be pushed to ME status right then and there. I looked up past RR winners, and don't believe that's happened? I'd say Benoit in 04, but I really forgot if he was main eventing or not back then.
US Title level with the occasional title shots.

I got a question though, would you consider Austin just before winning the 98 Rumble a midcarder? I mean, it's probably there for everyone to see that this guy's gonna get pushed sooner or later but officially he's still a midcarder having fought for the IC Title just one month prior.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Benoit was what you'd call a mechanic. A solid mid carder who could be called upon to compete in the big matches whenever it was needed without getting the big win... then they gave him the big win.

In terms of if it's ever happened before... Austin kinda counts as a mid carder who was immediately elevated by the win. After that you'd probably have to go to a Benoit or a Batista for the next one. I think people forget that Batista was pretty much a mid card HHH lackey before he won the Rumble.

Rey also counts I guess, but yeah - we all know why that happened.

Anyway, I guess my point is - I agree. I'd love someone new who hasn't been a champion to take it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts