Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay fellas...I'm kibda shy about asking this, because I know what it sounds like: "Look at this random IWC piss ant, he thinks he can book and shit!" but honestly, it's something im seriously considdering.

You see...well...I've only wwatched wrestling since late 2006..But I've since then learned everythinhg about it's great history and the storytelling behind it and it really registered with me. I love it. it's entertaining and it's a buisness i feel i can identify with. It's storytelling, it's comedy, it's everything you can think of really, even in the smallest aspect, wrestling can appeal to most people IF they understand that it's not about men covered in oil, but the matches and entertainment. and im at a stage in my life where I want to work doing what I love, and that is wrestling.

I wasn't sure about getting into the wrestling buisness at first, Because anyone who has read my posts knows by now that I have cerebral palsy and can't walk, so it was a matter of "What can I do for it? What do I have to offer that I can give to this industry that I love so much? there are others who can work and make good TV for it, I don't qualify."

But as I said, it's storytelling too. and I love to write...I love the feuding that is involed inbetween matches, and I love how a good booker can make something amazing come to life before an audience. but I wasn't sure if i could do it, since it's such a heavy burdon at times...

Then, I looked on here in the TNA section awile and something clicked...I saw alot of you groaning over the lackluster booking Russo provides, and I must agree. He really does make me feel sorry for wrestling today knowing that between him and Mcmahon, There really is no GOOD mainstream wrestling promotion exposed to the masses right now (overall)

I then had spent months going back and looking at the things that Worked back then and thought "I understand this type of innovation! This charicter moulding, and doing something new and unheard of...this is exactly what I want to do."

I have allways wanted to be a visionarry in whatever job I would decide on, and when I think about my heroes in anything I like--whether that be Music (another STRONG passion of mine, as my name can hint at) Comics, Movies or wrestling--Any legend in whatever occupation, has allways got that way by creating something special and groundbreaking. That's the key...I think you have to have a desire in whatever your passion is to not only be the best at it, but to set a standard--A GOOD standard--for the future of that profession.

Anyway, for the past few months I've been studdying booking very closly. the kind that worked and brought us wrestlings classic periods--and I have to say, ECW sticks out in my mind because at the time it was so fresh and new...so current, and yet so entertainibg. They were doing things wrestling had never seem, and Paul Heyman was smart in terms of charicter moulding: Let them be themselves! Involve the audiance! be REAL with what you do and establish a reputation with your fans aswell as the wrestlers--that kind of thinking is something I like, because ECW showed that You CAN be diffrent and succeed.

The more I learned from other things like, say, WCW's golden age, or iconic things like how the Stone cold charicter was moulded into what it was, the more I wanted to try my hand...so I did:

Afew weeks ago you may recall that I made a thread on Brian Danielson and what I'd have him do, which at the ime was just before NOC--and afew of you liked it, afew of you didn't...I was in "Back to the drawing board" mode with this growing hobby, because I wanted to make it right--But then, over thoes two weeks of build-up left, I was abit surprised, because WWE was doing Nearly (With afew difrent bits) EXACTLY what I had booked! Having Bryan beat up Alex as Miz watched---putting over his submission prowess--the "Road to awesome" segment, which in my version was to be a contract signing, but the end result was still similar...and the Feedback from you guys was generally positive the way WWE dd it...so my faith had been renewed that maybe with practice, I can actually get better!

Since then, Ideas in my head have been sturring, Like what I'd have The woman's devision turn into, Wich I see that ROH is sort of doing, which people here like. I thought of what kind of passion and talking skill it takes to be good on a mic....all these diffrent Ideas in my head are there that I truely believe would be something cool to see, and I believe if I learned from the right people, I could do something special as a booker.

So, I ask you, where can I go to learn the best ways to book? is there any person in particuler I can seek out? Any material i can read from a GOOD mind?

Anyway, enough of my rambling...I just wondered if you guys could help an aspiring student of this industry, because i know you guys know this stuff.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I actually enjoyed Eric Bischoff's book "Controversy Creates Cash." It gives a bit of insight into the booking process, and detailed how he got into the wrestling business. I believe that he began as a tape operator for a small time promotion, and worked his way to bigger opportunities. I don't work in the wrestling business, but with most career paths, just getting a foot in the door can be the most important step if you are willing to learn and take opportunities along the way. Good luck to ya!

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
There are two paths that will get you there:

1. Be an actual professional wrestler first, or

2. Write scripts for television shows or movies.

Those seem to be the common denominators between all present day bookers.

The next best thing would be to do the BTB here on the forum. Which personally I'd think is probably more fun anyway since Vince isn't around to reject all your ideas.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Vince isn't looking for fans to write his show, he is looking for professional television writers. If you want to book wrestling for real, you are better off looking into the independents or even starting your own company. Seriously, it's that hard. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
It's incredibly hard to get into the independants, and then get the book. Most of those guys are incredibly insular, and you'd have to gain an extraordinary amount of respect before they'd let you essentially control their character.

If you want to write for the WWE, win an Emmy for your writing on 90210, or be HHH.

Good luck. Wrestling is not a business people walk into, and nearly everyone at some level paid their dues heavily. You may be better off starting by offering to sell merch or check tickets or something for free with your local wrestling promotion, and hope over the years you work your way up.

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
There are two paths that will get you there:

1. Be an actual professional wrestler first, or

2. Write scripts for television shows or movies.

Those seem to be the common denominators between all present day bookers.

The next best thing would be to do the BTB here on the forum. Which personally I'd think is probably more fun anyway since Vince isn't around to reject all your ideas.
I think the 2nd is the easiest to accomplish cause Heyman and Cole began as column writers for sports events if I am not mistaken and then slowly moved to the Wrestling business.

·
LIVE ACTION!
1,436 Posts
As others have said, get your named noticed writing in other fields first and maybe that'll get your foot in the door.

Another thing I think would help tons is getting a college education in theater as a playwright. Learning even more how to create, evolve and so on and so forth ... characters could really help in the long run. Best of luck to you man!

·
Registered
655 Posts
I was sort of in the same boat as you man. I was trying to think of a way to ask the iwc if they knew of any wrestling promotions that I could look into in Australia but didn't want to seem as though I was just a try hard. But anyway dude hope you succeed in your efforts. If your determined enough than you shouldn't have any troubles, just set your mind to it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Do you like reading?
If you don't read about 5 to 8 books a month, it will be awfully hard to learn to write well, no matter the course you take. So:
1 - read a lot
2 - enroll yourself in a good creative writing course
3 - Get involved with the local theatre company. Do the odd job for then, looking for props, writing leaflets and direct mail for their plays. With time, they may consider what you write.
4 - When you are very good with the theatre, do the same with your local indy wtrestling company

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
9,856 Posts
I'm surprised no one here has said "the internet" yet. So many village idiots on this website think they're actually smarter than Vince McMahon.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
You can't be a booker, however you could be a TV Writer, but i think you have to have some degree for that. You can't be a booker cause there are no Territiries you could learn from, there are no Bookers left, the Original Bookers were Carny Man and such kind of Man, you are born in that kind of weird world, so i am sorry, but if you have the Money everybody can make a Company but you can't really be a booker unless you are taught to be over the Years, i think there may be still some around like Harley Race but it's not the same anymore. But to be a writer it's always good to start as a Wrestler, which i will do, i know what shool i will go to and everything, i am just first gonna finish my education, cause i want something to fall back on and the chances of making it are slight.

·
Registered
9,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I thank you all for your feedback, and I admit I may have seemed abit head-first with this goal, because there IS the matter of me and my eventuall family to think of, and if I want to be on the road from them all the time...

From the commentd here, I will say this: If I decide that I want to seriously do this with 100% of my being, I'm not going to give up simply because i'm not born into that world. My family has a long tradition of being wrestling fans, so it isn't asthough I'm a total noob...

I am not going to settle for russo-style entertainment booking. My booking would be based upon the TALENT, and ORIGINALITY. let me just say that much. Writing TV in this day and age and being accepted by the media would probably turn me into the kind of booker i don't want to be. I'd be here for You, the Educated fans who don't NEED things dumbed down to be entertaned by this sport.

I think what I will do for now is do as afew of you have said: Get my education and practice my writing skill through writing small time collums and things--And it's funny you should suggest that because, I've written afew of thoes Right here at WF! :) Check out "What Does it Take?" in the TNA section, aswell as my most recent feature, "The Father of Destruction Returns" for an in-depth look at the history between Undertaker, Kane and Paul Bearer. ;)

If you guys continue to like them as much as it seems you have, I'll make more posts like these. I have one I'm contemplating on right now, Which discusses PG wrestling and the situatuion WWE's in.

I suppose thats as good a start as any, right? :)

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
First off, I want to say that, that was a really good post. I love when people actually hold a discussion in a thread rather than 1-2 sentence topics. Great job.

Second, now this is something you should do and start with. Go to the Be The Booker section. Create a thread. Create your story. Start with a BTB while you work on becoming a write for a career. It'll give you something to do, and people can give you feedback and tell you how your progress is doing!!!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
In terms of what you actually need to be a WWE booker, I believe they require a media degree (of some kind, just a basic degree as long as the title is something media or writing related as they all have different names) and atleast five years TV experience. Though they have been known to waver that depending on your success or work. Obviously if a writer from LOST came over I'm sure they'd snap him up. Again, this is just their guidelines and not law.

In terms of experience, BTB is a great way to hone your skills.

Other than that maybe contact an Indy fed and see if you could help out there, maybe get yourself up to booking level.

·
Registered
9,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Great advice, but he already mentioned he cannot walk.
^ This. :)

And to the other guy, I'm afraid I don't have a paypal account good sir. None the less, your...*ahem* less than flattering oppinion is appreciated. ;)

Also, as for BTB, I'm abit reluctant to try it...you can only add new parts once we week or something, right? I don't really know how it works, and im not sure if i could keep updating it. I'd need to describe a feud in one or two posts, or keep it short--and wheres the fun in that? :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts